SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 11, 2018 /PRNewswire/ — TruliaⓇ, a home and neighborhood site for homebuyers and renters, today announces the national and local winners of The 2018 Neighborly Awards. Nearly 10,000 neighborhoods spanning coast to coast were ranked based on more than 20 million written reviews and answered polls by participating locals on Trulia Neighborhoods‘ What Locals Say feature.
“People take great pride in where they live. In fact, many buyers and renters say the neighborhood mattered just as much as the house when they were searching for a home,” said Tim Correia, Trulia’s senior vice president and general manager. “Every day, people tell us why they love their neighborhood. Using these insights, we created The Neighborlys to celebrate America’s most beloved neighborhoods and to showcase what makes them so special to the people who live there.”
With The Neighborly Awards, Trulia aims to shine a light on the neighborhoods that locals love most with the goal of inspiring buyers and renters in their home search. National and local winners in 18 major housing markets were identified using owned data in the following categories: friendliest neighbors, dog-friendliest, most holiday spirit, best social calendar, most walkable, and kid-friendliest.
The 2018 Neighborlys National Winners:
- Friendliest Neighbors: Trestle Glen, Oakland, Calif. – Neighbors can make or break a neighborhood. In fact, more than half of Americans (52%) say having neighbors you can get along with is among the most important attributes when it comes to the neighborhood they live in according to a recent Trulia survey conducted online by The Harris Poll*. Residents of America’s most friendly neighborhood, Trestle Glen, are quite friendly as 97% of participating locals report that they say “hi” to their neighbors when they are out and about according to Trulia’s analysis**. Many residents tell us they “love all their neighbors” and that it is “hard to believe just how friendly the neighbors are.”
- Runner-up: Kenny, Minneapolis, Minn.
- Dog-Friendliest: Baldwin Park, Orlando, Fla. – Many Americans say their neighborhoods must love dogs. More than one in four U.S. adults (27%) say having a dog-friendly area is one of the most important attributes when it comes to the neighborhood they live in*. Baldwin Park tops the list for being dog-friendly with 100% of participating locals saying that they often see neighbors walking their dogs**. This neighborhood is also home to an annual Doggie Derby, a road race for dogs that benefits a local charity.
- Runner-up: Downtown, Portland, Ore.
- Most Holiday Spirit: Bridesburg, Philadelphia, Pa.– Some neighborhoods love celebrating the holidays with festive home decorations and events, from extravagant Candy Cane Lanes for Christmas and spooky haunted houses for Halloween. Bridesburg won for being the most spirited neighborhood. Local traditions, like the decades-old St. John Cantius Christmas Bazaar, no doubt add to the holiday spirit where 96% of participating locals in Bridesburg say they decorate their home for the holidays**.
- Runner-up: Sardis Woods, Charlotte, N.C.
- Best Social Calendar: Linden Hills, Minneapolis, MN – Some Americans love a good community block party. When asked, 14% of U.S. adults said neighborhood activities, such as clubs, groups, block parties, and festivals, are among the most important attributes when it comes to the neighborhood they live in*. This is the case in Linden Hills, which won for having the best social calendar. In fact, 76% of Linden Hills respondents say they’ve attended a local community event, which include daily concerts and movies at Lake Harriet during the summer, and winter events like Reindeer Day, the Winter Kite Festival, and Winterfest**.
- Runner-up: Fairmount, Fort Worth, Texas
- Most Walkable: Belmont Heights, Long Beach, Calif. – A slight majority of Americans (55%) say proximity to amenities such as restaurants, shops, and grocery stores is among the most important attributes when it comes to the neighborhood where they live in*. Belmont Heights wins for being America’s most walkable neighborhood — 99% of participating locals tell us they can walk to restaurants, and say they love living in this neighborhood because they “can walk to the beach, dinner or shopping**.”
- Runner-up: Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Kid-Friendliest: Power Ranch, Gilbert, Ariz. – An overwhelming proportion of parents with children under 18 say safety (73%) and a quiet neighborhood (59%) are among the most important attributes when it comes to the neighborhood they live in*. In America’s most kid-friendly neighborhood, 97% of Power Ranch’s participating locals reported regularly seeing kids playing outside**. Most likely, these youngsters are enjoying the neighborhood’s long list of kid-friendly amenities that include year-round heated pools, stocked fishing ponds, soccer fields, basketball courts, and over 26 miles of connected trails – perfect for family walks and bike rides.
- Runner-up: Roosevelt Island, Manhattan, N.Y.
To learn more about The Neighborlys’ national and local winners in Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York metro, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa, and Washington D.C., visit: www.trulia.com/neighborhoods/awards
Trulia Neighborly Awards Methodology**
Designed to helps prospective buyers and renters quickly grasp if a neighborhood has the right fit and feel for their lifestyle, Trulia Neighborhood’s What Locals Say feature surfaces insights straight from the people who know the neighborhood best: locals. The feature provides both written neighborhood reviews and feedback on topics we know prospective buyers and renters care about, like if there is easy parking, or if people talk to their neighbors, or decorate their homes for the holidays.
To determine which neighborhoods were most beloved by locals, Trulia ranked nearly 10,000 neighborhoods using more than 20 million answered polls from Trulia Neighborhood’s What Locals Say feature. Written reviews were used to help vet each winning neighborhood but were not factored into the rankings.
National and local winners in 18 major housing markets were selected based on positive local reviews to the questions below, then ranked by the highest number of respondents.
- Friendliest Neighbors: Do you say hi to your neighbors when you see them around? Do you know any of your neighbors on a first-name basis?
- Dog-friendliest: Do you often see people walking dogs in your neighborhood?
- Most Holiday Spirit: Do you decorate your home for any holidays?
- Best Social Calendar: Have you attended a community event in your neighborhood, like a block party or BBQ?
- Most Walkable: Can you walk to restaurants in your neighborhood?
- Kid-Friendliest: Do you regularly see kids playing outside?
To win, a neighborhood needed to have at least 30 local reviews and at least a 75% positive response. All percentages are based on time of publish. For more information on What Locals Say (here) and Trulia Neighborhoods (here).
Trulia/Harris Survey Methodology*
This survey was conducted online within the United States by The Harris Poll on behalf of Trulia from November 7-9, 2018 among 2,021 U.S. adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology for this survey or previous surveys, including weighting variables and subgroup sample sizes, please contact email@example.com.
Trulia’s mission is to build a more neighborly world by helping you discover a place you’ll love to live. Homebuyers and renters use Trulia’s website and suite of mobile apps to get a deeper understanding of homes and neighborhoods across the U.S. through personalized recommendations, insights sourced straight from locals, and 34 neighborhood map overlays that offer details on commute, reported crime, schools, nearby businesses, and more. Founded in 2005, Trulia is based in San Francisco, and owned and operated by Zillow Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: Z and ZG). Trulia is a registered trademark of Trulia, LLC.