Hi JP - You may have an answer to your question already, but just in case, here are some thoughts:
- YOUR LIST: What's on Your list of needs (must have, ie: 3 bedrooms, pet friendly) vs wants (would be nice to have, ie: hot tub)? Don't forget to include such things as closet/storage space, if such things are important to you.
- LOCATION: Where would you like to be in relation to work, play and amenities?
- CONDITION: Do you want a fixer-uper (less initial $ output, though renovations will cost $ over time) or move-in ready (perhaps higher initial $ output, though less $ on renovations, etc)?
- INVESTMENT: will the home be a long-term investment (stay and raise a family) or are you looking for a shorter-term investment (flip-type property)? In either case, you'll want to consider home condition.
- ADDITIONAL COSTS/RESTRICTIONS: be sure to also consider other associated costs such as property taxes, and home owners association fees (HOAs), in addition to understanding any/all covenants, etc.
Remember that things like floor covering, interior wall coloring, and appliances can easily be modified to your own taste, and to especially HAVE FUN LOOKING!!