Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Ulster County : Real Estate Advice

  • All11
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 4
Thu Oct 1, 2015
Anna M Brocco answered:
Generally it's any space that does not meet the local codes and the minimal requirements for habitable space; an example would be storage space, sun rooms, laundry room, boiler room, etc. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 24, 2009
Nicol....Your loan officer is the best source for information.....Depending on the amount of renovations, there might not even be any draws. If it is a small renovation amount of $15,000 or so, once the loan is set up in the draw dept., your contractor can request a material advance of 35-50%. After that, the lender would just conduct a final inspection to verifty that the proposed renovationis are complete.....

The big question is how long it will take the lender to get your information set up in the draw dept. after closing.....I hope that helps....Good luck!
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 8, 2014
Has your loan already closed? If so, it can take a while after closing for the paperwork to get set up in their draw dept before contactors can be paid......
0 votes 170 answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 18, 2009
Nancy answered:
In-ground oil tanks inevitably become issues when you go to sell your house. Worse, it often comes up post-inspection, i.e. after you've agreed on a sales price. Most attorneys recommend that buyers do NOT buy the house with the in-ground oil tank and recommend that the seller either removes it or decommissions it.
The reason for this is that liability for any leaks, etc transfer with the property and, if something goes wrong after closing, it can cost the buyer a lot of money and aggravation.

My advice to you is to first deal with the oil tank and then look into upgrading the furnace and/or converting to gas. This also depends on how old the furnace is and how much life it has left. The age of the furnace is more relevant than the type of heating fuel.

In this area, central air is a plus, but not a deal breaker. However, if the house is hot throughout the summer, you might want to consider retrofitting an air conditioning system with an outside compressor and
a mini-split system to get cooled air into different rooms.

If you want a recommendation of a company to test your in-ground tank, please contact me.

Nancy Brenner
Coldwell Banker Village Green
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice