Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Ulster County : Real Estate Advice

  • All11
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 156
Thu Oct 1, 2015
Anna M Brocco answered:
Generally it's any space that does not meet the local codes and the minimal requirements for habitable space; an example would be storage space, sun rooms, laundry room, boiler room, etc. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 19, 2011
allan erps,ABR,SFR answered:
Hello Robert, Are you asking about a property in 12547? Please email me at and I can provide you with a CMA(Comparative Market Analysis) to evaluate your property. You can also reach me on my cell(test as well). Regards Allan

Allan Erps, ABR,SFR,C.O.R.E.
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
BHG Rand Realty
95 S Middletown Rd
Nanuet, NY 10954
VM(24 Hours) 845-770-2141
Cell Phone/Text 845-304-3040
Fax# 845-624-7137
My Email:
For the latest in Buyers and Sellers Resources,
visit my website at;
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 5, 2013
Jolie Muss answered:
It is hard to quote an average property tax as all homes and lots are different You might want to contact the corresponding assessor's office and inquire about examining the tax rolls and tax rate You might be able to do this on-line. Also look into properties that are listed.. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon May 30, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
Check with local realty offices for available rentals, check local print media for by owner rentals, word of mouth, etc.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Feb 7, 2012
Jennifer Fivelsdal answered:
With present inventory level you will be able to find a great vacation home in New Paltz or other Midhudson Valley towns. Another great alternative to the New Paltz area would be Rhinebeck on the other side of the Hudson River. I say this because in addition to being a beautiful area the Amtrak is there, so an easy ride into the city if you don't feel like driving. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed May 11, 2011
Larry O'Toole answered:
Gina Court is definitely in contract to sell. If Trulia has listed it Off Market, it means there is a contract for it and that it will be closing soon.
Let me know if there is another property in Hurley that you might be interested in seeing.
I live in Hurley myself and will be glad to help.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Jul 29, 2011
... answered:
The local assessor has information about both the property and who owns it. The owner is also recorded in the county deeds.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 7, 2011
Tim Moore answered:
In todays market the banks are looking for 20% down on conventional loans. FHA requires just 3.5% and a VA loan can be 0% down. I have seen some 10% down loans, but the credit must be perfect. Speak to a local loan officer and ask them what they offer. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 26, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
For any legal advice needed, do consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate-- An unconditional release means, no conditions need to be met--if you have such a release you you are free to do what you please.... ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Feb 8, 2011
Larry O'Toole answered:
Yes, there is one called Zillow -- -- but it's not always exactly accurate. The best way to find out property values by town or area is to have an agent do a comparative market analysis for you.
Best Regards,
Larry O'Toole
Coldwell Banker Village Green Realty
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 23, 2010
Amy Lonas answered:
Yes I believe you are correct. There are those buyers looking for bargains and of course everyone wants good value for their money - but there are buyers in our market looking for newer and especially "greener" construction as long as the home is designed well.

Amy Lonas
Associate Broker
Coldwell Banker Village Green
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
Consider consulting with your attorney and or tax professional to see what options are best for you--you can refinance if you qualify, and you could consider buying your ex out if needed, if your finances allow --rather than walking away, is a short sale an option for you--if so, protect yourself and any other assets you may have by consulting with an attorney who specializes in real estate beforehand. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 9, 2010
Matthew Howe answered:
Yes. It all depends on how much you can put down. Typically the bank will lend up to 80% of the value on a conventional loan. If you can come up with the difference you should be all set. For example:

Sales price = $100,000
Appraised Price = $80,000
Loan Approved = $64,000
Down payment = $36,000
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 6, 2010
Cindy Rosen answered:
Whether it is New Paltz or New York, it's typically up to the landlord. Either way he/she is generally covering thier costs either way. Rent will be high enough to cover costs or lower rent with you assuming that responsibility. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 4, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
Keep in mind that there are no set bargain rules as to how much below list can one offer--you need to be aware of comps--recently sold similar properties in the immediate area--review the data and make a determination as to a fair offer--keep in mind that if a property is listed on target for today's market or slightly below, multiple offers may occur. What is your agent suggesting...... ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Sep 10, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
You can do for sale by owner, however unless you list with an agent or any flat fee realty company, you will not appear on MLS--before pondering doing a for sale by owner, do consider--your house is your home. Emotions are homebound---selling your house is a business transaction. In a business, a professional is able to best to protect your interests. A real estate professional is better at selling your house than you could be at selling your home--also keep in mind that in today's market pricing and marketing that maximizes your exposure are paramount and a good agent will keep you informed as to your competition, market conditions, etc. While some people are successful at selling on their own, others are not--if you decide not to use an agent--do remember to use caution when allowing strangers into your home, hide/remove all valuables, and do consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate beforehand, regarding disclosures, necessary paperwork, etc. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 6, 2010
Sameer Punjani answered:
Just deal with 1 agent, you dont have to sign an exclusive with them, but just be considerate where they dont drag you all over town, then you pick someone else for the sale. We all work on commissions, and you really want to have a good relationship with the agent you select.

Do most of your research online, go see the house on your own, the areas, then narrow your homes selection down. Then after, you can contact an agent and have them open the homes for you with the lock box key.

Good Luck

... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 16, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
Since no local answers yet--any local agent(s) can help you with any information you may want, contact any realty office(s) and inquire--or contact any local Trulia contributor(s) directly and ask--under the Find a Pro tab--or consider sending a quick note expressing your interest to possibly purchase to the address. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 3, 2012
Robin Silverberg answered:
If I understand your explanation of the property correctly, it is a 3 unit property, but consists of one 2 unit and one single unit. That is where you have the problem. Fannie Mae guidelines require there to be exact comps if it is a property like that which is a-typical. From your comment about not finding comps, that is probably the issue. I have no idea why a credit union, who typically don't even do FHA loans, told you that you cannot have a non-occupant co-borrower. Clearly someone who is your father is a relative, so obviously that is not the issue. The other issue is ownership interest in a property that is only 15 miles away. No matter what you try to say about your reasoning, anyone will give you a problem with that one unless you show from tax returns that you are currently renting out that property.
How much do you have for a down payment? You may be able to get a loan from someplace like Ulster County Savings Bank, if you have enough to put down for their guidelines, and you can get over the hurdle of the other property. Because they generally don't sell to Fannie Mae, they would be more likely to go with an odd property.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jul 29, 2010
Jane Grant answered:
Lc: This site will help you with general questions about building costs:

You can also get more detailed information about the costs of permits here: ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Search Advice