Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Toms River : Real Estate Advice

  • All233
  • Local Info20
  • Home Buying74
  • Home Selling10
  • Market Conditions16

Activity 4
Thu Oct 4, 2012
Paul Combitsis answered:

There is no clear-cut answer, however, if you're simply asking about TRENDS and an "on the average" sort of answer, I would say the short sale. Someone could be in a short sale situation not necessarily because they can't pay their bills, but because they need to move (say, a job relocation) and their house is worth less than what is owed on it. In the case of a foreclosure, most of the time this is the result of a homeowner not being able to pay their mortgage every month, no matter WHAT the reason. Again, it could be something that is beyond one's control (e.g. a single mom going through a divorce; she may have gotten the house, but she can't afford the monthly payment), but foreclosure does carry a negative connotation to it. In either case, some explanation to the landlord might be in order if asked about it.

... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 23, 2013
Laura Feghali answered:
Hello Alicia,
Some landlords prefer a longer term tenant so they don't have to draw up a new lease again at he end of the term or incur the expense of preparing the unit for a new tenant . Perhaps you could discuss this option upfront with each landlord of properties you are interested in to determine if they would consider a longer lease period.

Good luck to you!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 23, 2012
Carla Pennington answered:
You can't be discriminated against because of the size of your family, except that the property code here says that there can be no more than two people to a bedroom on the lease. But just because you have children is not a reason a landlord can use to not rent to you.

Pets are another story - as well as smokers in the residence. You will need to look for houses that allow pets or smokers if that applies.

Your Realtor can filter the search for properties that allow pets and/or smoking.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sat May 26, 2012
Tim Moore answered:
Here in NC you need to only get a CO one time when the house is built to prove it was built correctly and to code at that time. Maybe other states have other laws.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Rental Basics in Toms River Zip Codes