Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Selling in Santa Cruz County : Real Estate Advice

  • All27
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying12
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 19
Fri Jun 3, 2016
Curt Abramson answered:
First and foremost, many of your questions are legal in nature and the only suitable person to answer those questions is an attorney. A tax specialist is also highly advisable, as there are tax consequences from these issues. However, you probably don't need to worry about the bank garnishing wages, or taking another home you haven't bought yet. Usually, the lender's remedy in case of default is limited to repossession of the asset securing the loan, i.e. the mobile home. Your best option may be a short sale of the mobile home, where the lender agrees to take an amount less than owed to resolve the debt. An attorney specializing in these issues needs to be consulted. The cost is minimal compared to the potential financial damage you and your husband may face.

Mallery and Demaria in Monterey have helped some of my clients and many other people as well. for info/contact details. Good luck! There are lots of people in similar positions, and many have worked through the problems and come out of it OK.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 6, 2013
Curt Abramson answered:
There is a great variation in price for homes in the area. In the past year, the lowest priced sale on the MLS was just over $75,000, and the most expensive was $445,000. Remember the zip code includes Lompico and Zayante, usually lower priced than more desirable areas like the Felton Flats. If you are interested in what the potential selling price of your home is, asking a couple of knowledgable local agents to visit your home and give you their feedback will help pin down the value.

... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 25, 2012
Erica Pittman-Gaynor answered:
Hi Beach Bum @ heart-
Love your sign off name. National Association of Realtors tracks marketing and results received annually and in 2011 23% of Buyers used a home book or magazine as one of the tools to search for their home yet when asked how buyers found the home the purchased only 2% said it was from a magazine or newspaper ad. In my experience you're going to get a lot of 'lookers' but not a lot of buyers. A good agent will spend their marketing dollars in one of the top three tools buyers use to find the home they buy. That includes marketing to other Realtors (38%), Internet presence (37%) and yard signs (11%). Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Sep 26, 2012
Tim Moore answered:
what home???????????????...........
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 2, 2012
Ron Thomas answered:
No, they would normally not be included,
unless you included them in your offer,
they were still there when the Escrow closed.
They are not "attached" to the house.

The Sellers, (you?) should remove them as soon as possible to avoid conflict.

Quite often, if they are there when the offer is made, and removed at the "Final Walk Thru", an arguement could be made....
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 29, 2012
Sebastian Frey answered:
That's a good question! You'd think in a market like this - with very low inventory - people who wanted to sell by owner would be putting up lawn signs all over town. I've seen a few, but not many. Ultimately, though, I think the reason there are so few For Sale By Owners is that many people have realized it is not a very good way to get your house sold - especially if you are under water on your mortgage, as many people are. But even if you're not underwater, selling by owner is difficult to do, and usually won't end up saving you any money (which, let's admit it - that's the only reason a seller would want to sell by owner). Check out the link to the story about Colby Sambrotto, the founder of ForSaleByOwner Dot Com - who ended up selling his New York condo through a broker, after he himself failed to sell it by owner. ... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 16, 2011
Rich Homer answered:
First, find yourself a good local Realtor and they will guided you.
0 votes 17 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 10, 2015
Alex Pereira and Secure Realty answered:
if you read the contract most include draperies. Draperies technically are considered bolted down (because the curtain rod is) and as such come with the home unless specifically excluded. ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 6, 2015
Sinead McAllister answered:
You are responsible to disclose all that you know about. If you didn't know about it, then it would be impossible for you to disclose...
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 15, 2011
Bryan Myers answered:
Hi Deb,

HOAs are a junior lien and will be wiped out in the foreclosure. However, it is unclear to me whether or not the HOA could come after you personally for the debt after the foreclosure. That's a legal question I'll leave to the attorneys.

The big question is whether or not the loan that is doing the foreclosing was acquired during the purchase, or during a re-finance. If it was during a refinance I encourage you to seek a short sale rather then allow it to be foreclosed on. If you'd like to discuss this more it's best to do it via phone. My direct number is below.

Bryan Myers
Unique Homes & Land
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 14, 2009
Bill Eckler answered:

You really haven't provided enough information for Trulians to provide you with good information. After checking the sale prices for recently sold homes there seems to be a wide range for 3/2 units. This range is between the mid $300,000's and upper $500's. Keep in mind we do not have any idea of the square footage of your home, the number of bedrooms, size garage, etc. AND no idea of the acreage involved with your parcel.

Contacting a local real estate professional should provide you with the quality of information you need.

Good luck

The Eckler Team
Michael Saunders & Company
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Michael Rayno answered:
Your best served by interviewing several Realtors and see what commission they are willing to accept.
Remember that you get what you pay for!
0 votes 46 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 27, 2014
Glen Mitchell answered:
Sat Jan 24, 2009
Brandi Jones answered:
For sale sign on property offered is allowed

No Directional signs are allowed

Open House signs are not permitted, however current practice is to allow up to four open house signs for less than 24hrs, and placed on private property with consent of owner

To recover signs collected by the city bring $76.27 per sign to 320 Harvest Drive in Watsonville. Cash, check, credit cards accepted. Signs are destroyed after 30 days. Call (831) 768-3133 for questions.

Signs not in compliance are reported to 768-3133. City staff picks up violations on a regular basis.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 15, 2011
Glen Mitchell answered:
Jordana, I just came across your question. Did you ever get an answer? I can email you over a list of all the homes that sold in Capitola last year. Is there a specific house you need or just looking in general.


Glen Mitchell
Real Estate Broker
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 14, 2009
Curt Abramson answered:
Carol, Curt Abramson with Bailey Properties here. I live in Aptos and sell a fair amount in zip code 95003. As of May 2008, average days on market for single family homes in this zip code was 89; the month before, it was 68, and for each of the 4 months prior, it was more than 100: a low of 102 and a high of 126.

If your interest is in selling as quickly as possible for as much as possible, pricing and preparation of the home are the key issues to consider. If you would like more detail about how to address those concerns, feel free to contact me at my website. listed below.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 25, 2008
Keith Sorem answered:
This post violates the commnity guidelines. List the lots on Trulia is probably a better way to go.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri May 23, 2008
CJ Brasiel answered:
Ana -

Since there is a hardship (your husband's job loss), I would suggest talking with your lender asap and seeing what options you may have. If you have been paying the mortgage and not behind , you have a stronger case. Also contact the HOPE organization. It is a non-profit groups that help people to keep their homes or deal with the foreclosure process.

... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 30, 2011
Michelle Carr-Crowe answered:
You may want to start with some of the vacation home swapping sites, as well as talk to anyone who currently manages rentals in Santa Cruz to check interest. Also, try speaking with a CPA who specializes in real estate to check the tax consequences. If both parties have rentals, it may be possible to do a 1031 tax-deferred exchange. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Search Advice