Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in River Forest : Real Estate Advice

  • All10
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying1
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 2
Fri Aug 6, 2010
Maggie Hawk answered:
You really should talk to a real estate lawyer about this.

That being said, here's a scenario to consider. What if the parties have children from a previous marriage? By taking ownership originally as tenants in common, each has an ownership interest in the home that can descend, upon their death, to their legal heirs (in this case their children), and this may have been directed by a will.

When a married couple owns a property together in the state of Florida, the form of ownership is called tenants by the entireties It's a special form of joint tenancy between a husband and a wife, and like all forms of joint tenancy it involves the right of survorship. Survivorship means that when one party on the deed dies, that person's interest in the home automatically goes to the survivor.

However, what happens if the spouse who died had left his interest in the home to his children? And did the very fact of the couple getting married override the original deed, even though the couple never recorded a new deed as tenants in the entireties? As you can see, things are never as simple as they seem, Karen, so you're best bet is to seek advice from a real estate attorney. Good luck.

Warm regards,
Maggie Hawk, REALTOR
(386) 314-1149
Watson Realty Corp.
... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 25, 2008
Deborah Madey answered:
Oh, Eric, please don't take this the wrong way. I almost sort of laughed for a minute, because it sounds so absurd. But, no, I don't think it is funny for you. This would seem to be a challenging situation for you.

Have you contacted your association management? What do they say?

The permitted uses will depend upon the by-laws, rules and regs of your association. Hopefully, there is cooperation and respect for the rules. If not, the only recourse is a remedy through the legal system.

I might suspect that such use would not be permitted, but it really doesn't matter what I might expect. It matters what the rules are, and if this person is breaking the rules, and next, what support the association provides if there is a violation.

Good Luck and I do empathize with you.

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice
Home Buying in River Forest Zip Codes