Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in Paterson : Real Estate Advice

  • All106
  • Local Info13
  • Home Buying23
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions7

Activity 29
Sat Sep 28, 2013
Maria Gilda Racelis answered:
You are too close to the credit score FHA requires.

Consult a local loan officer to help you in the process.

Best of Luck.
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 8, 2013
Armin Lusinyants answered:
Hi Robin,
Check out Cedar Knolls, Whippany, Parsippany, Denville, Dover all have relatively law taxes.

Best of luck,
Armin Lusinyants
Cell: 917-626-9420 ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 25, 2013
Diane Glander answered:
Where you can go will depend on how much you want to spend.
Pt. Pleasant borough has a lower tax rate as do many towns in South Monmouth County. It will all depend on how much you can afford. Manasquan, Spring Lake Heights, Bradley Beach and Belmar are all pretty low.
Message me with your price range and I can email you out some suggestions. Or, you can go search the entire Monmouth and Ocean County MLS from my website below. Or, you can upload my mobile ap by texting dianeg to 87778 to search from your phone.
Good luck!
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Feb 13, 2013
Mercure Volt answered:
Hi Kzupp,

It was withdrawn from the GSMLS on June 20, 2012. I don't think it has sold, it was
not under contract at the time.

if you are interested I can try to find out more information for you, just give me a call.

Mercure Volt

Elite Realtors of NJ
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu May 23, 2013
Laquita Baez answered:
Delia, speak with a mortgage professional that can discuss your financials with you to see if
you may qualify for a home loan. If you don't qualify now then the lender can best advise you on ways to improve your credit so you may qualify at a later date. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 25, 2012
James Ryan answered:
Simply use the Trulia search engine and find the homes listed in the zip codes you desire.

Regards, Jim
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 10, 2012
Elizabeth Garcia answered:
There are several areas in Paterson that are disireable including Lakeview Section, Hill Crest, Peoples Park, River Side. Hawthorne, Elmwood Park are also disireable towns close to Paterson that can be affordable. Please call me and we can sit down and go over in more detail. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 14, 2012
Alex Kushnir answered:
It only a factor in getting a mortgage, not buying a house. Speak to your banker or mortgage professional regarding financing options.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 6, 2012
Christopher Pagli answered:
Hi, Typically the seller should remediate the problem since banks won't fund a loan if there are active termites. I would approach the seller and point out it's going to be a problem for any buyer that does an inspection and gets a loan. Now once the termites are dealt with you will have to assess the damage to make sure there isn't an structural problems.

... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 1, 2011
Deborah Madey answered:
Taxes are determined by each municipality, not at the county level. There can be two towns very nearby with different tax bases

The suggestion that I have for you is to define the lifestyle characteristics which are most appealing to you in a community, and allow members of Trulia Voices to make suggestions on locations that meet your criteria with "low property taxes" being one of your high priority criteria. Price point for the property purchase is also important to include.

For example, Spring Lake has low property taxes, but the properties are not inexpensive. For someone who seeks to be near the shore, it's an excellent opportunity to have low taxes compared to other shore communities with housing in the same price points. Spring Lake may not even come close to meeting the other criteria on your list.

If you could share a bit more about what you seek, including price points, I am sure you will receive information more relevant to your preference.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 20, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
If you are concerned about flooding, see link---
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Feb 1, 2011
Anna M Brocco answered:
Not sure which foreclosures are of interest nor where they were seen--however, If you are looking at a RealtyTrac listing(s), keep in mind that some of the information is inaccurate and often misleading--some of the properties may have a lis pendens--notice of default--and if so, some may not be for sale yet, and some may never be if the owner satisfies the default--for the most accurate and up to date information, consult with your agent--if they are available, he/she would know or could find out. ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 15, 2010
Don Tepper answered:
It's part of your taxes. So if you're expecting some of that back, you file your federal taxes, the tax credit is applied, and any part that's not used to pay the taxes is sent to you as a refund.

From the IRS web site at
Topic 152 - Refund Information
Taxpayers have two options for receiving their individual federal income tax refund: a paper check or direct deposit (electronic funds transfer) into a checking or savings account. Taxpayers may request that refunds be directly deposited in up to three separate accounts. The refund must be $1.00 or more. Form 8888, Direct Deposit of Refund to More Than One Account, will give taxpayers a choice of selecting up to three accounts such as checking, savings and retirement accounts. Note: You cannot have your refund deposited into more than one account if you file Form 8379 (PDF), Injured Spouse Allocation.

If you file a complete accurate tax return, your refund will be issued within six weeks from the received date. If you filed electronically, refund checks will be issued within three weeks after the acknowledgment date. Refunds from amended returns will be issued within 8–12 weeks. Injured spouse claims can take longer, depending on the circumstances. Refer to Topic 203 for more information concerning Injured Spouse Claims.

To check on your refund, go to "Where's My Refund" or call the Refund Hotline at 800–829–1954. Please allow 72 hours after you electronically file or 3 weeks after you mail your return before using the automated systems. When you call, you will need to provide your Social Security number, your filing status, and the exact whole dollar amount of the refund shown on your return. There are several reasons for delayed refunds. Refer to Topic 303 for a checklist of common errors when preparing your tax return, and for additional items that may delay the processing of your return.

If you receive a refund to which you are not entitled, or one for an amount that is more than you expected, do not cash the check until you receive a notice explaining the difference. Follow the instructions on the notice.

On the other hand, if you receive a refund for a smaller amount than you expected, you may cash the check, and, if it is determined that you should have received more, you will later receive a check for the difference. If you did not receive a notice and you have questions about the amount of your refund, wait two weeks after receiving the refund, then call 800–829–1040.

The IRS will assist you in obtaining a replacement check for a refund check that is verified as lost or stolen.
Hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 18, 2010
Terry McCarley answered:
If you had the property appraised and it came in at $156,000 I would not pursue it at $189,900. I recommend you have your real estate agent negotiate the price based on the appraised value of the property. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 5, 2010
Peter J Rogers answered:
Most of the homes you are talking about have been foreclosed and are listed on the multiple listing service so the realtor you choose to work with can watch out for you and select those that are suitable. We usually set it up so emails are sent to you on a regular basis with these listings.
The worst of these are sold for little more than the value of the land but there are plenty available that can be saved. Mind you these are mostly in the inner city.
If you are interested send me your email address and I will send you samples.
In recent months I have been looking in Paterson, Prospect Park and Haledon for several customers for suitable properties.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 17, 2009
Audeliz Angie Perez answered:
Connie, when you say cancellation fee, are you asking about your attorney's fee or your deposit? If you have the mortgage contingency clause, your attorney sedns a letter to other side saying that you are canceling the contract because you are unable to obtain financing and all deposit monies should be returned to you. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 16, 2009
John Sacktig answered:
What did your attorney say what this fee for? Who is the receipient of the fee?

I would think there is a mortgage contingency clause which lets you out of the contract if you can not obtain a mortgage.. I would normally say tyo ask your attorney, but in this case your attorney is telling you about the fee... hhmmm. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 27, 2009
Dallas Texas answered:
Difficult to state when you say lender many non professional misuse that term.

Is that a mortgage broker who orginates your loan? If so they work thru venue of national banks, and funding resources.

GFE did you review $13K did it include closing cost to title company range up to $5K, did it include survey, inspection, appraisal buyer always pays?

Is your lender a hard money lender? Which can have higher fees.

If you change lenders can delay your closing which can be a breach of your executed sales agreement Have your "lender" review fees charged.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter:
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 28, 2009
Peter J Rogers answered:
Some of what you say is difficlut to understand. Why did you change lenders? If you did then the new lender has to start from scratch so it follows the closing date will have to be put back. Are you dealing directly with a bank or with a broker?
Why would you back out from the deal. Unless you have at least 10% to put down you are going to have to go FHA anyway and besides which if you are a first time buyer you will lose the $8,000 tax credit if you don't get going pretty soon.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice
Home Buying in Paterson Zip Codes