Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Olympia : Real Estate Advice

  • All85
  • Local Info8
  • Home Buying22
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 32
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Chad Landsiedel answered:
Hello Sam,

I guess my answer would depend on what type of work you do. Feel free to give me a call direct at: 360-888-9798. Or, you can email me at

I look forward to hearing back from you.


... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 13, 2013
Andrea McGhee answered:
Buildable land is becoming scarce in our area due to environmental impacts and parking down town is not the best but YES! We have great views ...
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Mar 21, 2013
A neighborhood that is close to a community college or university is always worth considering for both students and faculty renters. Neighborhoods in the vicinity of state offices are also good. That includes many areas in Olympia, Tumwater and Lacey. There are many factors that will affect appreciation but location is always at the top of the list. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 12, 2014
Lu Anne Recknagle answered:
Have you tried to Edit your homes facts? It will ask if you are one of about 7 people and you select yourself and you should be able to update information. Have not tried to removed pictures however, contact me to look into this further for you if are not able to successfully remove the pics this way.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jan 31, 2013
Toni Greenwood answered:
Yes, this park does have community beach access. Park rents vary ($650 - $805/mo) depending on view and for this particular home rent is $805/month. Rents include water, sewer and cable tv. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 31, 2013
Dan Tabit answered:
Sites like this will never replace a Realtor. We have filters in our MLS searches that can focus on what you are looking for and experience to know if the data is input wrong. As a buyer, you don't pay our fee the seller does and it's predetermined whether you use a buyer’s agent or not.
Save yourself the time and headaches and find a great local agent to assist you.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Feb 16, 2013
Ann Ryan answered:
Casey, there are too many variables to discuss here, but if $36,000 is more than 20% of the value of the house (Your home is worth less than $180K), then I'd suggest looking into it. You also need to know whether the rent you can collect will be covering all your expenses or not.

Best of luck with the new assignment!
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 17, 2013
Joy Moran answered:
Per Geodata, 10835 Old Hwy 99 SE is served by Tenino School District.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 28, 2012
Jim Olive answered:
What your landlord actually means is that SHE (or HE) wants to collect one last rent payment before the bank takes the home. So basically, s/he has been charging you rent and keeping the money rather than using it to meet his/her obligations under his/her mortgage. Sounds slimy to me. He also should have given you a heads-up. Did you pay first and last up front? If so, then you have already paid. If there's any security deposit, you need to get that back to, since I doubt he'll be making any repairs for the bank before they take the house. I'm sorry you're stuck in such a bad situation, best of luck getting through it. The bank will most likely take about thirty days after the foreclosure and then show up and offer you money in exchange for the keys and your departure, so you have a little time. I would start asking the landlord some direct questions about what is going on and how it's going to affect you... ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 12, 2012
Joy Moran answered:
In Washington state, non-judicial foreclosures are the rule if your mortgage was a deed of trust. Also, if the mortgage (deed of trust) that is being foreclosed is the one that was used to purchase the home (purchase money), the bank is not allowed to pursue a deficiency judgement against the borrower.

As to when they may proceed, you can call and ask.

You should seek the advice of an attorney experienced in real estate law. A real estate agent may be able to help you avoid foreclosure with a short sale, but only an attorney can advise you or give legal advice.

Joy Moran - WA Licensed Broker
Keller Williams Realty Olympia
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri May 15, 2015
Diego Herra answered:
Concord is a wonderful area for that price range. Please contact me if you are interested in learning more.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jun 11, 2012
Dean Stohl answered:
These legal questions are beyond the scope of a real estate licensee. You have a very unique circumstance and you should consult a eal estate attorney to have the attorney outline your options. - Dean ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 2, 2014
Terri Vellios answered:
Call a couple local real estate agents, they'd be happy to come meet you and see your home.

Have an amazing day!
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 6, 2013
Erin Joynt answered:
Hi Ramon,

I'm not in the Washington area, but the boundary map for Olympia School District can be downloaded as a pdf at

The district website says that the boundaries for Olympia High School are the same as the boundaries for the following elementary schools: Boston Harbor, Madison, Roosevelt, Centennial, Lincoln, McKenny and Pioneer.

I hope this helps you!

... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 18, 2012
Dan Tabit answered:
Selling the home is not the problem. A home can be sold with little or nothing if all parties agree. Financing however another story is. If you are relying on a loan to pay for the home the bank will dictate the terms under which they choose to loan the money.
To my knowledge, VA will not do a major fixer like you are describing. In fact, in an intact home any "health or safety items" need to be corrected prior to closing for the loan to go through.
The FHA 203K loan would likely be your best choice. If the work necessary can be completed for $35,000 or less you can do a streamline 203K. If the home would require more than that, you'll need a full rehab loan. These loans are specialties that not all lenders do or necessarily do well. If you pursue this, make certain you and your lender are well versed on all the necessary steps and procedures in order to be successful.
As far as your pricing is concerned, you may offer whatever makes sense, but realize the seller's have only one goal, get it sold. The bank however will not just approve anything that comes in. If the offer is too low it may make more sense to foreclose and sell it themselves.
Your offer should be low enough to make waiting out the short sale process worthwhile, but high enough so that the bank would be willing to approve it.
You need your own agent to review the comparable properties in the area and advise you in the best strategy. Your agent also needs to investigate the listing agent and their success record with short sales. Many agents try, but too many fail when it comes to proper submission and obtaining approval. If the listing agent is using a third party negotiator you may have success even if this is the agent’s first short sale.
One last thought, I had a house like this last year. The interior was gutted and it was just a shell. I used a third party negotiator on this and it took a long time to get approval and working through some channels to get the lender to understand that a "drive by" valuation wouldn't detect the interior condition we were dealing with. We were eventually successful, but it took a long time and hard work.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 28, 2013
Jean Bradford answered:
Hi, Bill,

Unfortunately, hundreds of thousands of people are in that same boat with you. My suggestion is to go to a lender and see if you can get prequalified for an FHA Mortgage, with 3.5% down payment. You may have to wait for two years, but at least the lender can pin-point your time-line!

Hang in there,
Jean Bradford, ABR, SFR,CRS,CRB,GRI
Managing Broker Associate
John L. Scott
Silverdale, WA
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 3, 2012
Frank Diaz answered:
Hi Josh,

Send the link and Trulia customer service may be able to assist you. How long has it been listed?

0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 24, 2011
Jesse & Hallie Jaynes answered:
Yes, you should be contacted by a representative (usually a real estate agent) notifying you who the new owner/bank is. They will give you options, sometimes they may honor your lease at current market rates or offer you relocation money to move and leave the home in "broom swept" condition. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 31, 2011
Nathan Peppin answered:
The answer to your question actually lies in the legal documents associated with the parties involved. The HOA will have legal authority granted to it in the Declaration of the CC&R's. If within these governing documents the HOA has the right to foreclose (either judicial or non-judicially) then how they foreclose is somewhat a moot point, not entirely but somewhat.

Very few of these cases actually end up in foreclosure as owners typically comply rather than loose their home. Also there needs to be sufficient equity in the home for the fines and dues to be paid from any auction or sale as they will likely be in a subordinate lien position. However money may not be the actual motivator here if you have sufficiently angered the group.

At the end of day you really need to have a lawyer review the documents governing your relationship with the HOA, as mentioned above. Without that information answers provided can only provide what might be not what will be in your specific situation.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 29, 2010
Mgd answered:
Contact Federal Trustee Services. They can help you stop the foreclosure. I am working with them re my own home.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice
Popular Olympia Neighborhoods