Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Newington : Real Estate Advice

  • All28
  • Local Info4
  • Home Buying6
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 13
Tue Mar 26, 2013
Hello Guiseppe,

To accurately give the APR for any loan product, I would need some additional information. Feel free to email me at and I can go voer this in more detail. I would not need any of your personal information, just information on loan size, taxes, area you are buying in, so I can estimate some of the fees associated with a CHFA loan.

Lynne Oliveri
VP of Mortgage Lending
Guaranteed Rate
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 29, 2015
Christopher Pagli answered:
Hi, You can check, it's a great site for recommended service providers. The recommendations are from real people and no service provider can pay to be on the site, etc.

... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 31, 2012
Mark Mnich answered:
Outside of the rental websites, Craigslist and the local paper, your best bet is using a local REALTOR, particularly one who specializes in multi-family homes and rentals. They routinely work with investors so they always have their "ear to the ground" for new opportunities.

I'm currently carrying a couple of rental properties myself. One is a 3BR, 2.5BA house in the Mt. Carmel section of Hamden and the other is a 2BR, 2BA townhouse-style condo in the Westville section of New Haven. If you'd like more info, please email me at
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 23, 2012
Lucy Kinnane answered:
This home is located on a public street. Nepaug street is on the edge of Newington and about 6 blocks from West Hartford's town line.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jan 19, 2011
Sarah Klamm answered:
In Kansas, you can count a lower level room as a bedroom if it has a window and a door. You have to have 2 exits from any bedroom and one has to be to the outside.
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 19, 2011
John Valdez answered:
I use Rich quite often, let him know I referred you and he will take great care of you:

Inside & Out Home Inspection
Rich Westervelt
Tel: 860-379-3805

For a second opinion:
Rich refers me to Pillar and Post when he is too busy or on vacation:

1813 Main Street, Newington, CT, 06111-3942. Phone: (860)828-3533
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Aug 26, 2015
Kevin Olson, Jessica Laude answered:
Hello Jasmin,

In some cases yes, but in others no. A lot can depend on the type of soil in the area, which can dictate the retention of water and/or runoff. Another factor is the size and shape of the hill. What type of landscaping do the homes above have?

To figure out the situation for this home I would call a professional landscaper to analyze things for you.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 15, 2010
Deborah Madey answered:

In order to do a short sale, you must complete financial disclosures listing all of your assets. You must list any acct or property where your name appears as a legal owner, even if it there just for convenience. If you do not, the bank may find it anyway, and determine that you willfully misrepresented your financial position.

You can try to explain to the bank that the account is "Mom's" - but they will likely look at that as an asset of yours. In the future, you can always check with the bank about putting you on Mom's acct as POA instead of a joint account holder.

I have closed short sales where a seller owned other property. The lender must ascertain that forgiving the debt, or working out a post-closing payment plan for all or partial is the best business decision for the bank. The bank is not there to "help" you - but rather make the business decision that results in the least pain for the bank. If you really cannot afford your payments, it is in the bank's best interest to work out a solution. If you have other assets that are not liquid, such as real property, they would want you to sell it. Since you cannot control that property as a minor interest holder, you will need to explain that in your hardship package.

I have closed short sales where the bank forgave debt when the seller owned other it can happen. It has to make sense, though.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 21, 2011
Amanda Albert answered:
You can get all the information you need immediately from your Realtor. The biggest problem with foreclosures is that you are buying the house as is. This means that it is very important to have an inspector come in to tell you exactly what you are buying. Then you make the decision to move forward or not.

If there are back taxes, liens, etc....when you are ready to close on the property (take posession), your attorney will do a title search, find out what is owed and make sure that you get a clear clean title. If there is any money to be paid by you, the buyer, you will be told in advance. Also, you will be buying title insurance to make sure you have a clear title at closing.

Amanda 860-916-2744
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 8, 2009
Terry Westbrook answered:
It is about the connection meeting with the Realtor will tell you a lot. Tell them what you want and ask them if you are being realistic about your wants and needs. A few questions to ask, How many home in the area you are interested in have they been involved with in the last year, how many foreclosures or short sales have they managed, are they full time in the business, any recommendations from past clients. Check their web site out and see if any of these answers can be found there. Good luck. ... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 15, 2010
Vernieke Roper answered:
Hi Jenn, this is a great time to buy. There are many different programs for first time home buyers. The first thing to do is to contact a mortgage officer to get pregualify. I wish you all the best, your daughter must be very proud of you. If I can be of any assistance please give me a call or email me. Happy Holidays. ... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 17, 2008
Derek Joyner answered:
This is tricky. I have heard a lot of stories like this and they always ended differently. I would start looking for her a place now. You need to talk to an attorney to see what your options are. The past cases for this have went in a lot of different directions. I have read about cases where the renter had rights and was handled with care. I have also read about cases where the renter was left out in the dry. Start finding her a place now so when push comes to shove you will not have to make a decision at the blink of an eye. Be proactive and not reactive. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 9, 2008
Maria Morton answered:
Veronica, what exactly is your question?
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice
Newington Zip Codes