Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in New York : Real Estate Advice

  • All640
  • Local Info71
  • Home Buying346
  • Home Selling52
  • Market Conditions15

Activity 165
Fri Jul 5, 2013
Mitchell Feldman answered:
If you are planning on selling the house... unless you are a contractor or someone paying wholesale prices, it will be hard for you to recoup the money you spend on improvements. The best money spent is on simple interior and exterior painting, refinishing of hardwood floors and a thorough clean out of the property. Anything obviously broken should be repaired if you can afford to fix it.

Aside from that, and assuming you are not getting bargain basement pricing on the renovations, you should only consider doing renovations if you plan on being in the house and enjoying said renovation for some time. This is one of the main values of doing a renovation, for your own enjoyment. Although it is true that any renovations theoretically would increase the value of the home... in most cases you will not recoup the expense if you sell it right away.

Having said that, I will tell you that some renovation can increase salability of the home which is worth something as well. If you want to discuss this further, please contact me direct. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 9, 2013
Anna M Brocco answered:
Why not simply ask your utility company the question, or any such other expert...
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 25, 2013
Kathryn Lilly answered:
It is always best to try to work it out with your contractor, if that does not work. File a complaint with the Department of Consumer Affairs, the licensing agency that licenses contractors.
Small Claims is only up to $5,000.00
You file in the Civil Court in the county you live in. In Brooklyn it is at 141 Livingston St.

Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 20, 2013
Gail Gladstone answered:
Wed Feb 20, 2013
Ron Thomas answered:
Do you actually think that we can visualize these changes without seeing it?
Do you actually think anyone could give you an accurate estimate like this?
Please contact some contractors. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 1, 2013
Anna M Brocco answered:
Wed Feb 13, 2013
Tammy Benkwitt answered:
Developers usually need to sell more than one house in a community. Lowering the price on one home brings down the prices on the others when they get appraised. So the builders would rather focus negotiations on amenities and extras rather than sales price. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Anna M Brocco answered:
If you are looking to sell keep in mind that square footage costs do vary, and don't account for exact location and other considerations; therefore also review comps, recently sold similar properties in the immediate area. If you are remodeling, contact a few local licensed contractors and ask for free estimates based on your needs.... ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 21, 2014
Anna M Brocco answered:
Check with the buildings department
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Jermaine answered:
Dseham If it is just a microwave that would not make or brake a sale. When you look to sell if the person looking to buy feels the need for a microwave then it would not be too hard for them to do then. Let me know what you decide ... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Anna M Brocco answered:
Was the contractor licensed...For any necessary legal advice consult with an attorney, most professional do offer a free consultation. Also consider filing a report with the local better business bureau ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 13, 2017
Anna M Brocco answered:
Check with the buildings department--
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Joseph Gallina answered:
Not sure about ny state, but I know usually in nyc. THe contractor pulls out permits.
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 11, 2012
De Vonte Williamson answered:
Hello Giantillo. I am not sure as to how much your taxes would increase. However, you could check with the Nassau County's Assessors office to try to receive an estimate as to how much the addition will cost in annual taxes.

I hope this answered your question! If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by the ways below.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson , LSA
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!"
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 15, 2013
Gail Gladstone answered:
Health lines are not necessarily and quite often not a health hazard.. You can actually have the power department or an independent contractor come out and measure.

My experience has been that a turned off microwave gives off more than the power lines. ... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 5, 2012
Lingtm777 asked:
We are in contract for a house in zip code 11365. Currently a one story ranch, we are expanding to 2 story 1 family home. Anyone has a good architect recommendation? Also, do we need to...
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 26, 2012
George Capella answered:
Below I have enclosed the R4 Informationfrom the Dept of City Planning and I hope that it may be useful to you. As far as the changes you wish to make to your basement you will really need to speak with an architect and explain to him exactly what you want done. With that information he can determine if you will be able to do them. In most cases the city would have to approve any permaent changes you wish to make to your property to assure that the structure is sound.Your archetect can help you with filing your permits and getting the job started.. I hope that the link below helps you.. George

Dept of City Planning
Zoning > Zoning Districts - Residence Districts > R4
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 4, 2012
Anna M Brocco answered:
For any ncessary clarifications, and for accurate answers, directly contact the buildings department.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 6, 2016
Jessica Eldridge answered:
There are different cost for different location but for all locations, the average cost is between $120 to $250 per sq ft.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 24, 2012
Don Tepper answered:
Just the same as it would work for anyone else. Can you be more specific on what your issue or concern is?
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Search Advice