Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Montgomery County : Real Estate Advice

  • All37
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying20
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 7
Tue Dec 13, 2016
Piero Marinucci answered:
By cashing the check, the tenant did not give up any rights to dispute.

As long as you can prove when the check was mailed, included an itemized list of what was withheld/included in the check amount, plus can show receipts for any items you deducted from the deposit, you're fine. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 15, 2013
Piero Marinucci answered:
Are you in Rockville or Baltimore? You might try contacting the bar association or real estate attorney clubs, something like that.

Only tell them the first 3 sentences youve posted here... ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 27, 2012
Piero Marinucci answered:
The landlord can't just send you a list - they must provide receipts that show what work was done. Also, the landlord cannot charge you for work they did themselves, only for materials. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 2, 2012
Shiva Zargham answered:
Can you please send me your email so I can send you some listings. My contact info is: or you can call me on my cell 240-893-4195.

Thank you.

Shiva Zargham
7272 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 18, 2012
Darrell D. Drouillard answered:
Hi David!

At the extreme max, I would recommend no more than 1/3 of your monthly income. In fact, many property management companies will not approve you if you are self-qualifying (without a spouse or other occupant) and your income is only 2 times the rent. But, any place you apply for will have specific guidelines of acceptability and they all vary slightly - so, make sure you know if you would qualify before giving up money via an application fee.

Now, that being said, I would recommend to spend no more than 1/4 of your income if possible. Trying to start out by living at the extreme point of your income will not allow you to save and will make you live paycheck to paycheck. Congrats on the upcoming degree.

Darrell D. Drouillard
Home Team of America
16719 Huebner Rd., Bldg 4
San Antonio, Texas 78248
210-881-6760 (Fax)

'Serving all Your Real Estate Needs'
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 20, 2017
Ron Trzcinski answered:
Here is how it works:

The landlord must, within 45 days after the end of tenancy, return to tenant the security deposit minus any amount which he may rightfully withhold. Simple interest of 3% per year must be paid on security deposits of $50 or more and must accrue at 6 month intervals from the day the security deposit was given. Interest is not compounded. If the landlord, without good reason, fails to return any part of the security deposit within 45 days after the end of the tenancy, he is liable to the tenant for up to three times the withheld amount of the security deposit plus reasonable attorney's fees. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 29, 2009
Jonathan S Tucker answered:
Inner Mind,

Jon Tucker with RE/MAX 100. You can try the Maryland Real Estate Commission. Google them or paste this URL: You can file complaint on this page.

Thanks, Jon Tucker, 443.538.4316,,
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Search Advice