Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Selling in Montana : Real Estate Advice

  • All31
  • Local Info3
  • Home Buying13
  • Home Selling6
  • Market Conditions3

Activity 33
Sat Jun 13, 2015
Andy Onushco answered:
It is challenging arriving at a price on such a unique property. I would likely look at pricing trends across all sectors of the local market and then weigh that against trends in high-end pricing statewide. I'm thinking that it may not be a local buyer, but rather someone who also might be looking across western montana overall. You might be competing against Rock Creek, Wise River etc. for your buyer. It might be worth spending a few hundred bucks on an appraisal, but that only helps with pricing and doesn't help you find a buyer. The market still seems weakest on high-end properties, and the few buyers in that range are expecting screaming deals. I still think some creative options might be available to you. Best wishes! ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 26, 2012
Bill Carey answered:

Realtor's don't work with Time Shares.
Check out this website...

Best of luck
Thank you,
Bill Carey, Broker/Realtor
Certified Short Sale Seller Specialist
Cell 704-905-0740
Fax 866-343-5945 l
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 11, 2010
Myra Gouger answered:
It all depends on what was negotiated in your contract in the beginning. If the wording was "as is, where is" that means no repairs. If that wording was there, then the owner had no responsibility to fix anything. On the other hand, if you did not ask for any repairs in the contract even though it did not say "as is" they still have no obligation to fix anything. What was disclosed originally? What was asked for originally? That is what will govern what you receive for "fixing it up." FYI - you cannot do any repairs or anything else on the home until you own it. Depending on the severity of the needed repairs and the size of your Earnest Money deposit, I would see which is greater. If the repairs significantly outweigh the deposit, the smartest thing to do is to cut your losses and waive your EMD. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 7, 2010
Rick Jessen answered:
According to our MLS, one of the units was on the market for 154 days, but did not sell, and the listing was cancelled.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 14, 2014
Dan Chase answered:
Once you give him a deed he will own the place. You will have given up all rights to it. If you have nothing saying you get money from the house he could keep it and never pay. Can you imagine trying to foreclose on him?

To be fair to all involved you could give him a rent or lease to own. Then in a few years he could apply the rent to the purchase price.

The worst case scenario. He owns the place. Does not pay taxes on it. Loses it for the tax bill and everyone loses.
... more
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 16, 2010
Don Tepper answered:
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Mar 29, 2010
Ty Robinson answered:
The average list price is $230,003 with the average sold price being $227,018. The median list is $229,950 with the median sold being $225,200. The high sold listed for $325 and sold for $309. The low listed for $139k and sold for $130k. This is a highly sought after area especially if you are close to the school. Let me know if I can help further. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Aug 14, 2009
Hollis Carbo asked:
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Emmanuel Scanlan answered:
Hello Kalispell,

The City of Kalispell, Building Department WEB link is It does appear that Kalispell has assumed the responsibilities of the "Authority Having Jurisdiction" (AHJ) for all building and building codes matters. Kalispell has adopted the 2006 International Residential Code (IRC). You can view a free online copy of the 2006 IRC at The IRC requires that all basements and sleeping rooms have a minimum of one egress opening out to the exterior of the home. When a sleeping room is located in a basement this adjoining basement spaces are not required to have the egress opening if the sleeping area has one. If you look on the Kalispell WEB site above they do spell out the requirements of the emergency opening and have very good diagrams, etc.

The building codes were created to provide the minimum criteria for new construction, renovations, etc. The applicability of the codes also depends on if they were in force when your home was built or remodeled to include that basement sleeping area. Additionally the Kalispell AHJ can make even stricter requirements specifying that any home with your situation be made to comply with emergency egress (life safety) requirements even if built prior to the codes being adopted. What I would advise is to call the Kalispell building department and speak with them whether your home would require that emergency egress opening, if not already there. The last thing you want is to have a buyer's Inspector come out and write it up as an issue just to potentially cost a sale. When you speak to the AHJ obtain either a specific reference or have the AHJ inspect the home and provide a certification that you meet all requirements.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me and good luck on the sale of your home.

Emmanuel J. Scanlan
PS Inspection & Property Services LLC
214-418-4366 (cell)
TREC License # 7593
International Code Council, Residential Combination Inspector #5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)
Certified Level I Thermographer (ASNT-TC1A Standards)
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Third Party Warranty Inspector #1593
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Inspector, County Inspection Program
Texas Department Of Insurance, VIP Inspector # 08507061016
Hayman Residential Engineering Services, Field Technician
CMC Energy - Certified Energy Auditor

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!!
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 22, 2010
Eric & Janelle Boyenga #1 Team answered:
There are hundreds of great websites available to you if you are selling your home. More importantly which websites will be most effective in exposing your property to the largest audience. It is always best to start with the local mls sites since they target the local area best. Then you want to make sure that your property is getting into all the national sites,,, etc. Then there are plenty of local classified sites, backpage, craigslist, and gbase. Then you may want niche sites for certain types of homes, or certain locations etc. Hope this is helpful, it would be greatly suggested to do many web searches to see where the home traffic is being driven and make sure you are included in these websites.

Good Luck,

Silicon Valley Specialists
Intero Real Estate Services
Office: 650.947.4645
JANELLE: 408.373.1660
ERIC: 408.506.3942
"Proven Results through Teamwork
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 7, 2009
Dallas Texas answered:
Listings for sale are on Trulia professional real estate agent. Ask you listing agent to post your home on Trulia
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 13, 2008
Mr.P answered:
You put in over 100K in the first year?

How much extra money will your Husband earn with the new job? ( minus ) How much money will you lose selling the house now? ( equals ) Maybe the job is not worth the move?

As for going FSBO.
Create the fear of loss, price it to sell, offer a competitive buyer broker. You have done this before. Give it thirty days.

One last thing. " We put in over 100K" ......If you did this work yourself?.......Make sure you are up to code.

Good luck
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice