Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Missouri : Real Estate Advice

  • All132
  • Local Info5
  • Home Buying77
  • Home Selling11
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 18
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Dale Weir answered:
There are toomany variables to answe that here - are the infrastructures (utiities, sewer, etc) already inplace? If not how far will those need to be run to reach the house? What style of home - ranch,2 story, atrium or? How big - will zoned hvac be needed? What energy features do you want? What quality level do you expect the home to be at when finished? And much more. Think about what you want then go talk to a local realtor who sells new construction and can help guide you on things you may not think about iff the top of your head. Your realtor will know good local custom builders who will be able to help you finalize your plans and build the home ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 5, 2012
Laquisha Cain answered:
Wed Aug 20, 2014
Ron Henderson answered:
That's a question for the city or the county in which you live. Call the Planning & Zoning Dept in your county and city to ask this question. Also, if your community is governed by a home owners association, there may be specific requirements there too although typically most HOA's won't allow an above ground pool. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 24, 2013
Tom Kennedy answered:
Not sure if it would apply, given your circumstances, but it may be worth your time to talk with your financial institution or a mortgage officer and inquire about the possible applicability of a 203k loan. Hope you find this helpful. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 24, 2013
John Mathews answered:
The state program in Missouri allows you to use credits on your primary residence or an income producing property but the fedeeral program requires that the property be an income producing property. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 24, 2012
annahasker answered:
I realize this answer may be a bit late in coming but I kind of just found my way here today so hopefully what I have to share will help someone. the USDA has a grant program available to low income person over the age of 62 that can assist in helping to fund a home.
Contact them at:

The fastest way to recieve a response though is to go through your local MOCA office.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Nov 3, 2010
Stacy Carter answered:
It's always a good idea to use subcontractors that are licensed in their particular field no matter what. And most likely, they'll need to be licensed in order to pull a permit for the job, which will be a requirement.

i assume you are using a 203k certified contractor, who should be supplying the licensed subcontractors for the project anyway.

Good luck.
Stacy Carter
Associate Broker
Home Appreciators Team at
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 3, 2010
Cindy Hurtado answered:
When buying a home with a 203K all repairs must be done by 203K certified contractors. They not only have to be licensed, but have to be certified to do 203K repairs. Your 203K lender should be able to provide you a list of the contractors certified to do this type of work. The lender will also want bids in writing prior to writing the loan. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Apr 24, 2013
Colleen Lawler answered:
Hmmm, might need more information on why a bank has not been willing to help you. If you give me a call I would be happy to give you contact information for several lenders that might be able to help you!
Colleen ~ 314-852-1400
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 25, 2010
Jo Soss answered:
I needed one and did some research on line and found the site "Service Magic" - found one there. The site puts them through a vetting process and I also check with my state for license and insurance. I have been very pleased with the service. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 21, 2009
Ben Edsall answered:
I'm sorry I don't understand the question. Are you looking to buy such a property?

D. Ben Edsall
Broker – ARM, AEREP
Turn-Key Properties LLC
7312 E 67th St.
Kansas City, MO 64133
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Oct 20, 2009
Alicia Clark - THE HOLT TEAM answered:
Did you find your answer to this yet? This question is fairly old, so I don't want to give you more of what you already have

Alicia Clark
Keller Williams Realty, Southwest ... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 25, 2009
Randy Robinson answered:
L. Bell,

I am not completely sure which program you are referring to. There are a number of programs available for first time home buyers, but it will depend on your situation and what you are trying to accomplish. If you would like more information about the programs available right now, please contact me via email/text/phone. Good luck!

cell/text: 314-769-6700
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 9, 2009
. answered:
Does your home inspection report state that you need to further consult an electrician to inspect the electrical system (or a statement excluding certain systems from the inspection)?

This is a very standard statement on inspection reports. If this statement or something like it wasn't made then you may have some type of recourse against your home inspector.

If you're talking about the main panel being grounded it shouldn't be extremely expensive.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat May 23, 2009
Ron Henderson answered:
It shouldn't really effect you unless they just do a horrible job of installing and maintaining it. It's like anything else (paint, deck, landscaping) Unless you're trying to sell your home right now, it won't effect your home value at all. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 22, 2009
Rhonda Burgess answered:
Hi Alison. The 203k may be the best option. You can borrow up to an additional $35,000 for the rehab. You will get half of the money at closing and the other half upon completion of the work. Keep in mind that you will need to use a licensed contractor if the work costs over $10000 so be sure to include that in your budget.

Call Angela Virtudazo at Atlantic Mortgage Loans at (636) 271-2299. She is in Pacific, MO and she can definitely help you. Tell her Rhonda in Nashville referred you and she will take good care of you.

I hope all goes well for you.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jun 21, 2017
Jamieson answered:
Hardwood is a popular choice and a wise investment - it will stand the test of time provided it is periodically cleaned and sealed

Tile (especially Travertine) was being had for incredibly cheap - this is also a good durable material (although you would want to use stone as opposed to clay or manufactured)

carpet does wear and tear fast and thus has a much shorter half-life than hardwood or tile
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Search Advice