Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Milwaukee County : Real Estate Advice

  • All66
  • Local Info4
  • Home Buying30
  • Home Selling14
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 5
Wed Sep 26, 2012
Linda S. Cefalu answered:
It could be a single family that was converted to a duplex. Sometimes a home can be either. If you email me with the address, I'll be happy to look it up for you with a further explanation.

Hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Troy Miller answered:

Depending on where your 4 bedroom is located I may have buyers interested in purchasing if you are also considering selling. My buyers need at least 4 bedrooms, 2 full baths and prefer the Tosa East school district.

Please feel free to contact me anytime if your home matches what my buyers are seeking.

Troy Miller, ABR, RNG
414-751-5110 (fax)
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu May 10, 2012 asked:
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Trulia asked:
What are some things to be aware of? What are some tips when negotiating a lease?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 18, 2012
Don Tepper answered:
I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice. For that you need a lawyer. However . . .

It's likely the landlord is in breach of the lease. Your lease probably says something about the landlord maintaining a safe and habitable property. From your description, yours isn't. So--with a lawyer's guidance--you should be able to break your lease and get out of there.

As for the property damage the mold and moisture has caused, I'm not sure if renter's insurance would have covered it. (Side note: In any case, though, you should always have renter's insurance. In future properties, make sure you do.) However, I'd take the landlord to small claims court for the damages you've incurred.

I don't know the property but, from your description, it sounds as if the maintenance man probably is correct.

Good moving getting a building inspector out there. If the property is condemned, for instance, the landlord may discover that--as expensive as it may be--it's cheaper to fix the problem than lose the property.

As for suing the landlord for fraud: Check with a lawyer, but probably that isn't your best course of action. Anybody can sue anyone for anything, but the real question is whether you can win. And if so, is there anything to collect?

One of my favorite sayings is "Follow the money." In this case, follow the money. The money's coming in to the landlord from tenants such as yourself. Cut off the money--not just in your case by legally terminating the lease but in taking action (such as through the building inspector) to cut off any prospect for the landlord to generate income.

And again, see a lawyer.

Hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice