Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Miami : Real Estate Advice

  • All3K
  • Local Info259
  • Home Buying1K
  • Home Selling91
  • Market Conditions104

Activity 18
Mon Jun 27, 2016
Cassandra M. Bickel answered:
Typically a lease is for a set price and time (For example $1000 a month for 12 months) and would require notice to move out and penalties for early cancellation to either party.

Whereas month to month is where either party can cancel the agreement with a 30 day written notice.

You will most often see the rental start off as a "Lease" and at the end if neither party gives notice, it automatically goes to a month to month.

Rarely will it start month to month unless someone is doing a roommate situation, renting a basement/garage or if someone is just looking for short term as in when a house is for sale.

Hope this helps,

Cassandra Bickel, REALTOR
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 17, 2018
Ismael Gonzalez answered:
I can speak in reference to my particular market which is South Florida. There really is no specific rule to pre-determine the number of occupants in a unit. However, generally the practice is that its two persons per bedroom. There may also be condo rules / regulations in place which may govern occupancy. Overall this should be covered between the landlord and their real estate professional. However, both parties should take the utmost care to not infringe on a protected class such as families when putting listings on the open market. ... more
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 12, 2013
Yanoska Diaz answered:
Are you asking how long for verification purposes or how long will it take you to put the money together?
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 18, 2016
Meg Sahdala answered:
Yes you can! I have a lot of rental properties in different areas of Miami, please contact me at your convenience at number or email below.

Best Regards,
Meg Sahdala

Vivienda Miami Real Estate Group
Tel: 305.877.2880
Fax: 305.675.3976
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 12, 2013
Danielle Sharp answered:
Fri May 3, 2013
Monica Scobino answered:
Hi Michael.
Today almost people have a regular to bad credit.
Please call me.
Monica Scobino
Keller Williams Relty Premier
cell: 786-7128080
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 27, 2012
Mildred Martinez-villamar answered:
Hi Dave, Jackson Memorial Hospital is in Miami , Dade County. Personally I concentrate in Broward County however I do have a partner that focuses in Dade County.

$1200 per month in a pet friendly residence is feasible. Feel free to contact me to email you properties in the vicinity and give you an idea of what is available. You can google me mildred villamar ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 14, 2013
Tamika Moses answered:
First you need to see if their is a application fee that has to go to a condo association for approval. I myself deal with a lot of rentals and NEVER had I heard a agent take 200.00 upfront for their time. Agents get paid a commission from the seller if they are bringing in a buyer etc. lanlord-tenant. If you need anymore help please feel free to contact, and I hope you made sure he was a realtor as well.

Thank you,
Tamika Moses
Keller Williams Realty Partners SW
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 21, 2012
Carlos Escamilla answered:
depends on the location.
i have a landlord who wants 90 days in advance just because to have a tenant approved by the association takes 30 dias not less.
I have another landlords willing to work with 30 or 45 days.

The rent usually is $50 dollars or 5% increase per year if the rental market value is lower than current rent value.

To be honest everything depends on the landlord.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Audra McCollum answered:
Listing with a Realtor will probably save you a lot of headaches. They handle the advertising and often the showings and screenings of new tenants. Your property will likely rent faster and to a higher quality tenant, and usually for a higher price. Yes you have to pay a commission, but as with most things in life, you get what you pay of luck and feel free to call me to discuss. ... more
0 votes 17 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 26, 2012
Nereida Figueroa answered:
Kenneth, something is in process and to be recognize. I suggest to you if you are able to buy a property to connect with agent like me to guide to your process for pre-approved or calification for a loan . ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 21, 2012
Carmen Amedori answered:
What area are you in? I am in Ocean City Maryland. We have fabulous properties here. Great for investors or the primary resident.
0 votes 17 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Jenny Pimentel answered:

I have a few tips listed on my blog for people moving into apartment buildings in Miami. These offer ways to set a budget and outline fees to be expected:

When you move to Miami whether it’s from out of the country, from out of state or from out of the city you may be surprised by the expense of moving into one of the many apartment buildings that decorate the Downtown Miami and Brickell skyline. As a Miami real estate agent I try to prepare my customers as much as possible in order to ensure smooth transactions. Below I outline the fees associated with renting an apartment in Miami (as well as post-purchase/move-in fees for new condominium owners).

Once you have decided on an amount that you would like to pay per month for your new apartment in Miami, multiply that times at least three, and sometimes four. As up-front payments, most landlords will require your first and last months’ rent plus a security deposit equal to one month’s rent. If your credit is less than desirable, you may be asked for an additional security deposit. However, the number of advance payments and security deposit required for move-in may be negotiated and are dependent on the length of your contract, your credit history, the specific unit owner’s financial needs…this list can go on.

Now we move on to the fees charged by the building association to tenants. Most building associations require a security deposit equal to one month’s rent. Some unit owners either have a security deposit already in place for their unit, or they allow what would have been their security deposit from the tenants to go to the association. This is open for negotiation between a landlord and tenant – or each of their respective real estate brokers.

Application Fees, approximately $100-$200 per resident of unit (apply to both tenant- and owner-occupants), may be discounted for married couples. Building associations require background checks for all residents. Applications collect personal information, employment history and previous rental references. This information is used to perform criminal background & credit history checks. If you have doubts about your credit, do not be put off by the possibility of being rejected. Being honest with your potential landlord and the association about your credit standing will work in your favor. If you have valid reason for blemishes on your credit, chances are it will not have an effect on the association approving your application (depending on the building). Certain tenants are put off by this process, but just keep in mind that everyone in the building has been put through the same process and this ensures the safety and security of every tenant and unit owner.

Move-in/Move-out fees, $200-$500 (apply to both tenant- and owner-occupants). This covers the reservation and exclusive use of the freight elevators for a specified number of hours. If you are moving into a furnished unit, this fee is usually waived – make sure you or your real estate agent makes the association aware.

Refundable move-in security deposit, $300-$1,000 (applies to both tenant- and owner-occupants). The dock master collects a check from the tenant prior to scheduled move-in date. Once the move is completed, the freight elevator and the common areas where your move took place are inspected. Once all is confirmed to be undamaged, the deposit is returned sometimes right away, other times you may need to wait a week or so. Same note from paragraph above regarding furnished units applies here.

Parking Pass and Common Area Key Pass, $25-$100 each. Unless the owner provides, you will need to purchase a parking garage pass/remote control and an elevator FOB (key pass for common areas). You may also need to purchase a parking sticker which costs around $25.

Hopefully this helps you to create a more accurate budget for your new apartment in Miami. If you’re anything like me, the only surprises you like include champagne!

Jenny Pimentel, Broker Associate 617.648.6627

Cervera Real Estate 1492 S. Miami Avenue, Miami, FL 33130
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 27, 2017
Bill Eckler answered:

It may be time to start looking again....the landlord has had more than ample time to make these arrangements. If you are paying for a kitchen you should have one!!

It sounds like you have been more than patient.....time to flex some muscle and advocate for yourself.

Good luck,

... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 25, 2014
Evelina Tsigelnitskaya answered:
Section 83.49, 3(b)(c), F. S.
Unless you object to the imposition of the landlord’s claim or the amount thereof within 15 days after receipt of the landlord’s notice of intention to impose a claim, the landlord may then deduct the amount of his or her claim and shall remit the balance of the deposit to you within 30 days after the date of the notice of intention to impose a claim for damages. If you object to the landlord’s claim you may file a complaint with the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services or institute an action in a court of competent jurisdiction to adjudicate the landlord’s right to the security deposit. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 22, 2010
Travelguyhi answered:
Most likely the landlord is not reporting this income. For your sake get a receipt for each month's rent paid. If the landlord will not provide the receipt then what you should do is withdraw the money each month for your rent at one time from your bank account. By withdrawing your rent you can show a record of steady payments in the case of any dispute arising. The best way would be to write and cash a check to yourself labeling it "Rent - March 2010".

As far as reporting whether it is an illegal rental or not I cannot say. But if you like the apartment and paying the rent is the only issue I would not bother.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 18, 2012
Lamont DuBose answered:
Call the police anonymously with a noise complaint. Next, call the owner of the unit above and discuss floor coverings (e.g. carpeting) and mention perhaps screening the next tenant a bit more carefully. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 22, 2009
Audra McCollum answered:
Dear Iliana,

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. You should certainly contact a real estate attorney (see about a free consultation) because your problem may be easily solved if the Landlord receives a letter from an Attorney advising you might start paying your rent to the Clerk of Court directly instead of the Landlord. Do not stop paying your rent or the owners will be able to evict you. Maybe the Realtor who rented the house to you has a lawyer friend you could contact?

I'm not a lawyer, and I can not give legal advice, but I think you should definitely speak to a lawyer - it will probably save you money and heartache in the long run. Also, please keep in mind that some things you mentioned in your list above (like peeling paint) should have been negotiated and repaired/replaced BEFORE you took possession of the home, but things like working pool equipment probably are mentioned in your lease and, depending on how the lease was written, may be the responsibility of the Landlord to properly maintain, repair or replace. Take your lease with you and the Contract to Lease or Memorandum to Lease (the offer you made) when you meet with the Attorney.

I believe an Attorney might tell you that you can make payments to the Court directly, but I couldn't find the info online. I suggest you give them a call. Here's the info:

Miami-Dade County Courthouse
73 West Flagler Street, Suite # 242 | Miami, Florida 33130
Telephone: (305) 275-1155 | Business Hours: 9:00am - 4:00 pm
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice