Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Massachusetts : Real Estate Advice

  • All565
  • Local Info29
  • Home Buying289
  • Home Selling73
  • Market Conditions11

Activity 69
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Alison Hillman answered:
Hey there-

I would recommend looking at the listings available on Trulia:,MA/SINGLE-FAMILY_HOME_type/x_map/

Ali, Community Manager
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Apr 5, 2013
Rafael Hernandez answered:
Most of parking in Mission Hill is usually by permit and depending on exact location you may opt to renting an off street parking so you are not circling around at night or during a snow emergency looking for parking. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 3, 2013
gloria cirolo answered:
Hi Luke, yes you do have issues especially finding a ton of nails in the back yard.
I would put it all in writing, and send to the landlord/property management company.
Also make certain you keep a copy for your records. If you have lease please read it
through and you will see that these matters need to remedied. I wish you the best!
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 12, 2014
Scott A. Nelson answered:
Well first of all plan on moving, it's unfortunate but when you push further it may not be worth living there longer. You could contact one of the local TV investigative reporters to see if they'll do a story & possibly confront the landlord. You should consult an attorney familiar with elder law and/or housing law they can give you legal advice as to how to take this to the courts or may refer you to a local housing rights group. Even consider talking to clergy if you're religiously inclined. The biggest thing you'll need to do is document the heat situation. Get a thermometer & take pics with the daily newspaper next to it 2-3x per day (morning, noon & night) to show a pattern of this. Courts and housing groups need proof more than just your word that it's not warm enough. At the end of the day though it may not be comfortable living with a hostile landlord unfortunatly. You could also contact the local city councilperson to perhaps mediate the situation. Document all correspondences, emails etc. you'll need these.

Hope that helps,
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 7, 2014
Mario Pavli answered:
Just your I-20 and a copy of the passport will do. Also bank statement from whoever will be paying for your apartment will need to show sufficient amount.

Best Of Luck.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 26, 2013
Tim Moore answered:
Usually if a Realtor finds a renter a rental the landlord pays any commission.
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 17, 2013
Louis Wolfson answered:
South Boston or Brookline would be wise choices
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 5, 2013
CH Naamad answered:
You get a lawyer or you deal with whatever got you an eviction notice in the first place.
Why did you get an eviction notice for? please specify.
Best regards,
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 15, 2013
Scott Godzyk answered:
Most agents work with tenants only when they have something to rent. You need to find an agent who specializes in working with helping tenants find rentals. all agents do not work with rentals. ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 29, 2013
John J. Dean Jr. answered:
Honestly is all depends on what you are looking for in your neighborhood. Each area of the city is very different. Back Bay, Beacon Hill, North End and South End all have their own personalities. I would explore each and see what fits you best.

You may also want to venture across the Charles River into Cambridge and Somerville.
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 28, 2013
Carey T. Hansen answered:
Wed Feb 20, 2013
Mario Pavli answered:
It all depends on the actual unit and how desirable the area is. The rental market being the way it is, the prices are only increasing. If the renter is going to stay here for more than 1 year than they can sign a 1 year+ lease so the rent won't increase. Yet again it could be risky cause the market changes so it can potentially backfire too.

Best Of Luck
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 3, 2014
Norman Hodson answered:
This question can be answered from the information offered in your original Lease Agreement.
The Standard MAR/GBREB Lease Agreement gives Owners/Landlords the right to show (or have their Agents show) their units to contractors, appraisers or prospective renters with reasonable notice.
The MA Consumer Affairs website also offers guidelines where Landlords should use reasonable efforts, including notice and minimal disturbance to a Tenants before showings.

Bottom line, the Landlord has rights, but so do the Tenants. Strong communication between the parties can make this transition a bit easier.

Keep in mind that when a unit shows well and is kept clean & tidy, it will rent much quicker and Tenants will be disturbed much less frequently.

Kind Regards,

Norman D. Hodson
Direct Line: 617-861-3630
Cellular: 617-818-2101
Direct Fax: 617-294-4396

Keller Williams Realty
607 Boylston Street, 5th floor, Boston, MA. 02116
Office: 617-542-0012 • Fax: 617-542-0016
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 19, 2012
Heath Coker answered:
This is not the place for legal advice, unfortunately.
Only lawyers can give legal advice.
You might be able to get your answer from a tenants' rights lawyer.

In general, a lease in MA usually contains a provision for reasonable notice.
Reasonable notice probably can be defined by a lawyer.
Unless they are suspecting you of something inappropriate, they should respect your privacy - in my opinion.

However, if you are not making the showing of your unit "reasonable" once they have given you "reasonable notice", they might fell that an intrusion is acceptable.
That does not make barging in any more correct than a tenant making it hard to access a unit.

Keep in mind, the landlord needs to keep the apartment rented.
This is their business, and the unit is part of their inventory.
If a tenant is affecting a landlords' ability to make a living, they might consider that unreasonable.

Keep in mind that a good reference from a past landlord is valuable.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 1, 2017
Ellen Friedman answered:
Landlord's charge all kinds of fees--some charge a move-in fee, some a key fee, and so on. If they want to charge additional rent because you have a pet they may do that. They can charge any fee they want as long as it's not an additional security deposit. Landlords may legally charge only one month's rent as a security or damage deposit--and a pet fee that is refundable if there's no pet damage would fall into that category. Additional rent that you do not get back would not. You don't have to pay the additional fees or the additional rent but keep in mind that it's tough to find a landlord who will rent so someone with a pet.

Ellen G. Friedman, Keller Williams Realty,
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 28, 2012
Masha Senderovich answered:
Hi there. We have a good number of options, depending on price range and what else you are hoping to find. Please email criteria directly to masha @ preservationproperties . com
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 27, 2012
Masha Senderovich answered:
I'm sorry you're going through this. There are many apartments just like this in Massachusetts. That's why there was no lease... Technically, you're a tenant-at-will and that sort of defaults into the 30-day notice category. They do have a right to ask you to leave as long as they give you written advance notice and 30 days. And you have a right to leave on the same terms. It's unfortunate that the apartment is illegal but the truth is that there are many of them and they're the reason the rental crisis isn't as severe as it would otherwise be without them. They keep prices down for the rest of the apartments in the area... If there is an opportunity to make peace with the landlord, it might be something to consider so you can stay. Otherwise, anywhere you move you're likely to pay market rent (probably much higher than what you've got now) and there are no guarantees that everything was done to code.

Alternatively, you can buy a condo... in many areas it is less expensive on a monthly basis and makes more financial sense if you're planning to stay even just a couple of years and have at least 5% for a down payment.

Feel free to email
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 14, 2014
Ellen Friedman answered:
Self-extending leases are legal. The standard ones (if that's what you have) require that either side notify the other if the lease is not being renewed by a certain number of months prior to the expiration. In your case it was one month. It sounds as though your lease auto-renewed with all of its terms intact. I have not seen the lease, but based on what you have written it is my opinion that once the lease self-renewed neither side could change the terms, and a rent increase is a change in terms. If the landlord gives you a hard time you might think of talking to an attorney.

Ellen G. Friedman, Keller Williams Realty,
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Jul 21, 2012
Sherri Way answered:
It depends on who is doing the screening and the requirements of a landlord. Some landlords want 700 credit scores and others are willing to do lower. The process for the screening is again dependent on who is doing the screening. Typically though it's 3-4 days. It shouldn't take longer than that unless it's hard to get a hold of people. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 22, 2015
Ted Duncan answered:
Very standard for security deposit.
It's the law in Mass.
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4
Search Advice