Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Quality of Life in Los Angeles County : Real Estate Advice

  • All508
  • Local Info30
  • Home Buying263
  • Home Selling32
  • Market Conditions12

Activity 75
Sat Oct 2, 2010
Karen Miller answered:
North of Willow is great. I would avoid the southern part - closer to PCH. The areas between Willow and Wardlow are pretty nice & there are some very beautiful homes there.

Good Luck,

Karen Miller
Century 21 Beachside
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 15, 2010
Felecia Wesley answered:
Dear Mauricio,
If you wish to provide a few details, I will be glad to assist you with determining which part of the city will be best for you. There is a vibrant city center in the flats with a variety of options from single family homes to condos and palatial estates in the northern part of the city. You may contact me if you wish to have more information.
Good Luck,
Felecia Wesley
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 23, 2010
Rachel Martiens and Kathy Tyndall answered:
First of all Phejos that is very wise of you. I always advise my clients to call the local police station to find out about the crime. A good question to ask is what they mainly get called out for. You can always ask for statistics r.e. the percent of certain crimes. Hope this helps. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 21, 2010
Dp2 answered:
A home owner turns into a business owner when renting--period. You'll probably want to run this idea past a real-estate to ensure that you'll use the appropriate structures to set up this arrangement. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 22, 2010
Rebecca Chambliss answered:
Pull out your lease and read it. Normally there is a provision in the lease indicating what happens when the lease ends. Sometimes it is stated it automatically rolls into month by month. If you pay after your lease is expired and it is cashed it assumes an agreement between tenant and landlord. Good luck. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 2, 2010
Matt McClain answered:
Hi Annalisa.

As agents, we are not allowed to answer this question directly. However, Los Angeles is a very large area. When you mention that your husband is being relocated to Los Angeles, knowing what part of Los Angeles would be helpful in at least pointing out some cities that might be close to that area of his job.

Los Angeles is a very large is comprised of several areas such as the san gabriel valley, san fernando valley, western county such as santa monica, and it goes on.

I would recommend two things. First and foremost, get pre-approved for a loan with a lender to know how much home you can afford. This will help narrow down what areas you can afford. Secondly, pick a real estate agent in the area that can help you find the home you are looking for and best fits your needs and wants.

As far as safety is concerned, that is a matter of both opinion and fact. Los Angeles gets a lot of media and press, both bad and good. As someone who was born here and has lived here in the area all of his life and know the Los Angeles area very well, I can tell you the variety of neighborhoods is varying and well spread out.

If you need assistance in getting a loan approval or in your search for a home, I would be pleased to help you in either capacity as I am both a licensed real estate agent and a loan officer. Feel free to email me or call me directly on my cell.

I wish you both good luck and safe travel to our state. Welcome to Los Angeles!


Matt McClain
Axiom Real Estate / Axiom Lending Group
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 1, 2009
Karen Miller answered:
Hi Steve,

While there is no completely crime free areas, I have never heard of any gang activity in Bixby Hill.

Best of luck with your purchase,

Karen Miller
Century 21 Beachside ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 28, 2010
Dorene Slavitz answered:
The fabulous beach homes that are beachfront and steps to the sand, make up Manhattan's "Sand Section". Homes in this area are in the Millions. The homes located "Tree Section" is a quiet, tree lined residential neighborhood located between Sepulveda to the East,Manhattan Beach Blvd to the South and Rosecrans to the North. Prices here are a bit lower then the beachfront sand section.
The Hill Section of Manhattan Beach boasts of panoramic views of South Bay and the city. Pricing in the Hill Section ranges from 900,000 to 5.5Million.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 6, 2009
BOB Khalsa answered:
I use demographic data frequently, especially, for residential condo/townhome or mixed use projects on which I work with developers but I have never seen direct data of the kind you are looking for. ESRI is very good and at times you could use US government data though do remember that it is likely to be dated and you will have to extrapolate and make projections which could increase the risk and make your results unreliable. As a developer you may have used regression analysis when applying statistical data for projections and will appreciate the risks you run.

My suggestion is to try and contact the marketing and research departments of established food and fitness chains and see if you can buy it from them.

Bob Khalsa
United America Realty
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Apr 24, 2009
Monique & Joe Carrabba answered:
Hey Sky,

Call the Department of Housing. They will confirm with you if it's in REAP and or has violations and is pending being in REAP. It also may show up on the title report (which could hurt your client's ability to get a loan).

Good luck!

Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller Williams Hollywod Hills
(323) 899-2900
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Feb 9, 2009
Mario Villagran answered:
I am going to go w/ closet space. I've been into some homes that have clutter everywhere and you can feel the negative energy. Closet space and some organization should fill the house w/ some good energy. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 18, 2008
Voices Member answered:
Nancy, This link will take you to info on crime statistics and other links you can use to check with the police dept. ect..

This site will also give you information and will allow you to research by zip code or neighborhood...

I hope this will help, Dunes
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Jul 30, 2012
Voices Member answered:
Amber, You can check here at Trulia..

and here.. includes both public and private schools

Best, Dunes
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Sona Gallatin answered:
Please talk to the landlord and ask him to draft a lease to include your roommate. Your roommate has established a business relationship with the landlord by paying his rent direct. This can really be worked out if all parties just communicate.

Good luck
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Dec 2, 2008
Dallas Texas answered:
If you are the only name on executed lease if the lease states a guest can only stay xx # of days then he must depart the property. However not knowing how the lease is authored with statements difficult to state. Approach the landlord regarding your issues, state if he continues to allow a guest not authorized on the lease then landlord is in violation of the lease terms, HOWEVER GOES BACK to executed lease terms.
Confer with an attorney, send certified letter to the landlord based on how the lease is authored.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Oct 20, 2008
David answered:
Dispute it on your credit report. Also, if its their error, they are to remove it or face fines.

If you want to be done with it, Im sure they would be open to a settlement. Just make sure the settlement includes removing that blemish..

Seek the advise of a collection company like Lexington Legal
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 18, 2011
Dyanna answered:
Mon Sep 28, 2009
Keith Sorem answered:
If you'd like help finding a rental I would be happy to refer you to a Realtor that specializes in that neighborhood.
You can contact me via my Trulia profile or call me 1-888-284-2056 ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Nov 18, 2009
Andy Bencosme answered:
Hi Linda, I am a local Manager of a Real Estate office in town. I will be happy to have someone who specializes in rentals assist you. Email me directly and I will have someone contact you. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 20, 2008
Shel-lee Davis answered:

The first question is, can you afford the new payment. I know it is a shock to have to pay more, however, if you can afford it, then you will have to pay it.

If you cannot afford the adjusted payment for any reason, then it should be heartening to you that more and more, lenders are willing to modify loans to prevent this interest rate reset from causing you to lose your home. If you would like to give me more particulars off line, I might be able to give you more direct guidance on how to proceed. Do not wait too long to open the dialog with your lender and Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis
Real Estate Consultant
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4
Search Advice