Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Larchmont : Real Estate Advice

  • All42
  • Local Info3
  • Home Buying9
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions4

Activity 25
Sat Apr 6, 2013
Trevor Curran answered:
Good morning Gene,

Truly the best person to answer this question for you is your Tax Professional. While I'm a Licensed Loan Originator, that doesn't qualify me to answer questions regarding a consumer's personal income tax situation. The same can be said about real estate agents/brokers.

If you don't have a great relationship with a Tax Pro, now's as good a time as any to get referrals to one.

Trevor Curran
NMLS #40140
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Mar 24, 2013
Don Tepper answered:
Sat Feb 22, 2014
Diana Hellman answered:
If you are noticing that these cars without a permit are parked during those hours, they are risking a ticket. If you are noticing these cars at other times during the day, then they are legally allowed to be there. I hope this helps. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Feb 11, 2013
Maria Mantis, R.E. Analyst answered:
Hi Daniel, It depends on a few factors--If the house was renovated and added on to, then it is
assessed already and will be reassessed to included the improvements. If it is totally new construction, then the assesso partially assesses it and then will be fully assess it once completed. On new construction, there is a lag time so sometimes you may have a full year without it being fully assessed. The Town of Mamaroneck is doing a re-assessment of all properties. They will most likely use the sale price as the new assessment. I would check with the Town of
Mamaroneck to see what the taxes would be on a home in that price range.

I hope this helps. Best, Maria Mantis.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Sep 14, 2012
Debra Strati-Padawer GRI answered:

The landlord usually pays a commission of one months rent on a years lease. Second year can be 1/2 month compensation or zero, depending on what you and your agent agree to. On another note, there is no commission paid to the tenants agent if they are being compensated by the tenant. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 19, 2012
Michael Levy answered:
Hi: It's not bad. It depends also on which direction the apartment faces. My grandmother lived in 1299 Palmer Ave. for years & we couldn't hear anything in her apartment. But she faced Palmer Ave. I'll be happy to help you look at apartments in those buildings. I'm very familiar with them. Call me at the office: 914-273-9688. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 11, 2013
Nancy Strong answered:
You should list the number of bathrooms and square footage shown on the property card in town hall. If there is an illegal bathroom in a house, we advise the client to legalize it and may mention in remarks that there is an additional bath in the process of getting a certificate of occupancy. ... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 28, 2012
Christopher Pagli answered:
I refer to a partial and half bath as exactly what you said. A bath with toilet, sink, and shower (whether standing stall or tub) is considered a full bath. A bathroom that has sink, toilet, separate shower and separate tub is considered a full finished bathroom.

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun May 12, 2013
Christopher Pagli answered:
Hi, typically your closing costs can come out of the proceeds. If there are none and you are short you either have to bring a check to the closing to pay off the mortgage or short sell it. A shortsale requires bank approval...I would talk directly to your lien holder as they will be able to guide you best.


Christopher Pagli
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914 406 9023
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 3, 2012
Stephanie Solano answered:
Ask your mortgage servicer (the company to which you make your mortgage payments) if they participate in HARP. Not all mortgage servicers do. And ask them if you are eligible.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 6, 2017
Gregg Goldsholl answered:
Definitely a question for your accountant. Thinking of listing your home? That I can help with. Email me
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 13, 2011
Michael Levy answered:
Hi: I'm Michael Levy, the Principal Broker of Grand Lux Realty. I'm a broker but have a lot of experience with construction. I have a great carpenter who gives fabulous customer service & low prices. He can beat other contractor's prices if necessary. Call me please & I'll be happy to give you his number. Have a great day & good luck. Sincerely, Michael F. Levy, Principal Broker, Grand Lux Realty, 914-273-9688. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Mar 13, 2013
Bill Eckler answered:
This is an issue probably best directed to the state of New York for accurate information.....I agree with you, that it just doesn't seem to make sense but common sense is often in shortage and the rest is history.....

... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 13, 2013
RICK NORNES answered:
I don't know if they do, but we do I can get you 1 to 5 leads everyday just give me a call so I can show you. 800-977-9804 Ext 103 and if you mention my name Rick Nornes I will give you $100 bucks off. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 4, 2014
Amy Singer answered:
Hi Brian,
You need to work with an agent who can
1) Give you an area tour of the many different communities so that you can get a feel for each individual town or village. They all have different flavors and you may clearly like some more than others
2) Work with someone who can provide you with data on each community - school, village amenities, etc.
3) Work with someone who does a lot of work with relocation buyers.
4) Of course, speak with your colleagues

I have lived and worked in Westchester for over 20 years and unlike, many brokers who only work in 1 or 2 towns, I specialize in the following - Scarsdale, Edgemont, Larchmont, Rye, Chappaqua and Armonk. In addition, I have listed and sold homes in many other communities. I can provide a more macro overview of the county for you than working with 4 different agents.

If you would like my assistance....don't hesitate to contact me at 914-772-3526
... more
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 28, 2009
H. Juergen Hess answered:
No, Trulia does not take rental listings. But you can always list it with a real estate agency (and pay a month's commission). If you decide to list it with a real estate agency, I will be more than willing to help you. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 11, 2008
Gail Gladstone answered:
Have your Realtor run comps on recent sales (no more than 3 months back) in the same zip code, same school district within 1/2 mile (preferably the same neighborhood only) and you will know what the fair market value is for the house.

Also keep in mind how your feel about this property. This is not only a commodity you are purchasing, it is going to be your home...that has value.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 21, 2010
Pollena Forsman answered:
The elementary schools have After School Clubs that run throughout the year, but they are generally only 1 hour "special clubs" running from 3-4PM. Additionally, there is a full program run out of the Hommocks Middle School for children of all ages that is available both before school and after school; you can likely get the details by calling the public information office at 220-3070. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice
Larchmont Zip Codes