I think you need to have a face to face conversation with a Realtor that knows your situation, and your market.
There are numerous ways to negotiate an ending that will meet your needs. With markets the way they are,
I would be tempted to get the home sold and then do a rent back. The danger is having a long escrow is that until the deed is recorded and the loan is funded, anything can happen.
You also need to look at where you are going after the sale. If you are purchasing property, you need to know what THAT market is doing too. I've got some sellers that are scared to sell, the market in my area is trending slightly downward, however the destination market is going UP, so they are losing more by waiting
In your situation it might make sense to buy the destination property and rent it out until you move in. Not to say this is ideal, but if your current market is going down, and the destination market is going up, it would be worth it to run the numbers.
Get the facts, develop your options, and pray.