Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Henderson : Real Estate Advice

  • All495
  • Local Info38
  • Home Buying163
  • Home Selling10
  • Market Conditions21

Activity 10
Tue Feb 19, 2013
Aneta Ivanova answered:
Look at your contact(lease agreement). What is says-security deposit, cleaning fee or something else. If you do not agree , best my advive is to seek lawyer, and file a complaint.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 31, 2013
Lisa Santacaterina answered:
Trulia Las Vegas,

This is such a great question!

In my experience there isn't a minimum credit score to rent an apartment, condo or single family home. I believe that most Property Management firms/Landlords factor in each individual circumstance when making a final decision. However, as one might imagine, the better the credit score, references and job history the easier it may be to beat out other tenants applying for the same property. There are also factors such as pets, smoking/non-smoking to consider. If you feel you may have past or current circumstances working against you, you may considering offering an increased security deposit, pre-paid rents, and rental references.

I would recommend any tenant be upfront when dealing with property management companies or your real estate agent. The more information known about your circumstance the better equipped we will be to find you that "right" home avoiding unnecessary NON-REFUNDABLE application fees.

Finding a rental in any city can be costly, be sure to ask the right questions and move fast!

Your Trusted Advisory in the Community!

Lisa Santacaterina
Urban Nest Realty
10220 W. Charleston Blvd., Suite 3
Las Vegas, NV 89135
P: (702) 540-2956
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 26, 2012
Alla Skatov answered:
Mon Aug 18, 2014
Alla Skatov answered:
You should call a Realtor,because its a free service to you and you will have a representation.Listing Realtors represent Landlords,so they will not be on your side.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 5, 2014
Frances Forbes answered:
Fri Feb 13, 2015
If he sold the house as is than the buyer of the house assumed the house and purchased the house in the current condition. The former owner is only entitled to collect the claimed damages if he or she deducted those damages from the sale price of the house. It would have to be documented as a price reduction because of said damages. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Mar 8, 2012
David Crowell answered:
I have a three-page document covering this subject in detail, and I'll be happy to e-mail a copy to you. Just call me at 702-672-4878. No obligation.

Briefly, the five most important things are:
1. Who pays for what on a monthly basis? (pool service, trash pick-up, water, and many more.).
2. Is there a HOA? If so, get a copy of the CC&Rs and the Rules and Regulations.
3. Is there a management company involved to collect the rent, handle repairs, etc., or will you be dealing directly with the owner. (Management company is best!)
4. How will repairs be handled if they become necessary?
5. What is the penalty if you have to break the lease?

There is much more to consider, however, so please call me at 702-672-4878, and I will be able to provide some more information.

Regards, Dave Crowell
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 6, 2016
Brenda Caruso answered:
I'm not a property manager nor do I have a property management license, with that in mind the answer to that is yes, he does have to show receipts. Also, I believe the security deposit must be returned to you within 30 days or you can sue him for 3 times the amount of the security deposit. Again, I'm not a licensed property manager but this is what I've heard. Unless the carpet was completely trashed by you (not previous tenants) and was unable to be steam cleaned, then he should not have charged you for carpet. Same with the paint. These are normal things that landlords must pay for themselves, not tenants. Maybe you should call a real estate attorney. Sounds like you might have to. Or at least Google the laws and make him aware because it sounds like he doesn't know. I have a friend who is a property manager who would be happy to answer your questions for you. Please email me if you'd like his name/number. ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 13, 2015
Sonsie Conroy answered:
I am NOT a tax attorney or accountant, but hiring a manager has nothing to do with being able to take depreciation.

Depreciation is allowed for investment properties (but not your residence or other personal-use property) whether or not you have a manager. The cost of the manager (salary, taxes paid, housing allowance or free apartment, etc.) should also be deductible as an expense of doing business. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 18, 2013
Heather Peck answered:
Yes, it is possible. When they run you're credit, they are often looking to see if you are paying your utilities (water, electric, etc.) and if you've ever been evicted. They understand that many renters now have credit problems. You may have to pay extra for the deposit, but many places will still rent to you. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Search Advice