Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Insurance in Florida : Real Estate Advice

  • All2K
  • Local Info207
  • Home Buying1K
  • Home Selling173
  • Market Conditions62

Activity 164
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Anna M Brocco answered:
Why not simply contact a few local insurance agencies and check your options firsthand....
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Jul 21, 2013
Cassandra M. Bickel answered:
DId you check several insurance agents in the area and compare?

They vary so much. You want to make sure you have enough to cover "replacement value" not just "market value" If the house is worth $200K but it would actually cost $300K if it completely burned then the $300 is the "replacement" value.

It also varied on how much "Stuff" you have. Clothes, jewerly, furniture, books, kitchen items, ect. The more you have and the higher the value.... the higher you should have your content policy.

And then there is the liability. This covers if someone comes to your house and gets injured and tries to sue,

Don't forget your credit and your house's credit. The insurance company will run a report to see if YOU have made any claims and if the previous home owner's have made any claims. This could negatively impact your rate along with what your over all credit is.

All those and then which deductable.

So to give a blanket answer on rates... there are too many variables with the little information you have given.

Good luck.

Cassandra Bickel, REALTOR
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 8, 2013
Bill Eckler answered:
Not a Chris at He'll give you a quote in 5 minutes!
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Willie Craig Jr answered:
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 2, 2013
Tammy Hayes answered:
Try AAA 941-627-1544
Island Insurance 941-764-8050

They both represent several different agencies and can search for rates for you.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
RE/MAX Palm Realty
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 18, 2013
Timothy E. Cantrell PA answered:
Closing on a home 3/20. $262,000 home is being quoted $1,500 - $1,700. For 4/3 pool home. hope this is helpful . Tim Cantrell Re/Max Realty Centre.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 14, 2013
Scott Godzyk answered:
You may need to find a new insurance company. Typically by recording a quitcloam deed a home that has a mortgage, the bank that holds the mortgage can "accelerate" the amount due and begin foreclsoure even though it is being pad because the the person whose name the mortgage is in, needs to be teh one on the deed, You may need to see an attorrney to see the proper way to add your name while keeping him on the deed as liong as there is a morttage in his name. Only a lawyer may be able to fix this. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 12, 2013
Nicole Alvarez answered:
Any home that was built in 2002 or later should qualify for the most recent building requirements allowing the maximum mitigation discount on their premium. There are many factors such as where the property is located, beaches vs. inland as well as what type of structure you are insuring, wood frame vs. concrete block as well as the type of roof that was being installed at time of construction. My best advice is to make a few calls to various insurance agents and compare their quotes with the coverage they are offering. If you need assistance in locating an insurance agent or have any other additional questions or concerns you can always reach me at 904-548-3032. Thank you. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 5, 2013
Phil Rotondo answered:
It could vary depending on the unit; and it could even be part of the insurance already in place for the complex.
Do you have a particular unit in mind??
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 20, 2013
Sherlie Joseph answered:
Yes, however it depends the home features and updates. Give me a call or inbox me if interested.
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 18, 2013
Tracy Hoyt answered:
That will depend on many things, size of the home, location, and age are just a few. It would be very hard to be accurate without a specific home.

Tracy Hoyt
Prudential Tropical Realty ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 9, 2013
glenn carretta answered:
it has become more difficult to insure homes which don't pass 4 point inspections..dont know of any other option but to comply. check with local insurance easy fix i am afraid
Glenn Carretta, broker associate VIP Real Estate Sanibel island 239-850-9296
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 19, 2012
Wayne Collier answered:

Give my friend Hamid Goodarzi a call at Carol City Discount Insurance
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 25, 2012
Dana De Kleyn answered:

Greta Pierpont
Loan Officer
Address: 3235 Cardinal Drive Suite
Vero Beach, Florida 32963
Office Phone: (772) 234-0066
Cell Phone: (772) 713-4224
Fax: (866) 212-4229


Jeff Morton, Sr. VP
Marine Bank & Trust Company
Ofc: (772) 231-8240
Cell: (772) 321-1551

Mortgage brokers and small local banks are more competitive and can sometimes offer you more than giants.

As to insurance, you should talk to the insurance agent. Try:

Carla Klein
1406 19th Place
Vero Beach, FL 32960
Tel - 772.539.9727
Fax - 772.539.9018


Ryan Weaver,
Tel - (772) 567-4930
Fax -(772) 567-4931
855 21st Street, CenterState Bank Bldg - 2nd Floor
Vero Beach, Florida 32960

I own rental properties and have insurance. So give them a call and find out for yourself.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me directly at:
Dana De Kleyn
Dale Sorensen Real Estate, Inc.
Cell: 772-538-4855
Office: 772-231-4712
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 4, 2012
Erin Catron answered:
The best resource for information on homeowners insurance would be a local insurance agent. We have a couple of agencies we deal with regularly (one of whom is located in downtown Punta Gorda) that I could recommend. If you would like names and phone numbers, please send an email to and I will get that information to you. Thanks! ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Steve Henrickson answered:
To me, this question is answered by a cost-benefit analysis in a specific situation. If I think I'm very healthy, I may choose not to carry certain health insurance policies, for example. Are we talking about homeowners' insurance? Are we talking about insuring a property for an amount higher than its value? Flood insurance on a property where it's not required?--Many people think it's a good idea to carry flood insurance for several reasons. What about liability coverage? What about life insurance on me if I'm 97 and not providing support for anyone? What about insurance for an extremely wealthy individual who can essentially self-insure? ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 16, 2012
Alison Hillman answered:
You can contact the listing agent who will be able to help you learn more about that specific property (and probably will know a lot about similar properties in the area). To find an agent, just click on the yellow button on the property's Trulia listing and you will be able to start a dialogue.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help with anything else. I am happy to be a resource for you. Good luck with the search!

Ali, Trulia Voices Community Manager
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Oct 28, 2012
Sherlie Joseph answered:
Hi, another to check the price I am going to need the structure information and any updates. Please email or contact me tomorrow, so I can take care of it for you as soon as possible.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Oct 29, 2012
Lynn Brock answered:
Trulia Tampa, the answer to your question is going to depend upon the type of property that you buy, single family, condo, manufactured home. Rates will also fluxtuate if the property is owner occupied or a second home or investment property.

Let's consider what is an owner occupied. This is a residence; single family, condo or manufactured home that is occupied by a Florida resident. A second home, single family, condo or manufactured home is occupied by someone that earns their income not in Florida! You may live in Florida six months, but, if you are not a resident and / or earn your income from outside of the state, then your home purchase is considered to be a second home.

Insurance rates are different for each type of occupancy. The cost of the insurance will reflect the inherited risk of each type. Owner occupied vs second home. Then the type of structure will be considered for the coverage and subsequent cost.

Investment properties would fall under different types of insurance policies/coverage. Obtaining homeowner's insurance in some cases is not how much but can you obtain it. Frequently, a four point inspection is required by insurance companies before writing or quoting an insurance policy. A four point inspection, covers the roof, mechanics, plumbing and electrical plus the overall condition of the property.

The cost of insurance is pretty significant and most homeowner's encounter sticker shock regarding the cost of homeowner's insurance in Florida vs northern states. Insuring the pool cage is an optional cost.

Discounts are given for wind mitigation certificates, four point inspections, security alarms and in some cases for veterans. Best to shop and ask an insurance agent for more specific details.

Best regards,
Lynn Brock
Brock Realty Inc.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 24, 2012
Amy Walker answered:
Google 'home owners insurance' and see what is available in your area. I would stick to the larger ones such as State Farm.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Search Advice