Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Encinitas : Real Estate Advice

  • All112
  • Local Info10
  • Home Buying19
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions3

Activity 41
Sun Apr 7, 2013
Kevin Sanderlin answered:
This guy can is a specialist in what you need:
Marco Calderon Cell 619-596-5447
He is a specialist in finding, removing moisture, mold, and even smells.

Kevin Sanderlin
Keller Williams Reatly
Cell 858-212-4702
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Aug 3, 2014
Walter 'Skip' Kersten answered:
Sorry, do not know the place. Unless you are paying cash, you should check with your lender and see if they will loan on the complex.
Good luck,
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 22, 2012
John Arendsen answered:
You really should start with the park manager. You will have to fill out an application and be approved by them before you even make an offer on a manufactured home in a rental park

I see that this home could be a pre HUD, built before June 15, 1976. If you are thinking about securing a loan for the purchase you will find that most lenders will not lend on a PRE HUD home. Additionally, you should be aware that many if not most Pre HUD homes were built with lots of caustic and carcinogenic chemicals i.e. formaldahyde and asbestos.

Most importantly be sure to have it thoroughly inspected by an experienced MH inspector and not just any home inspector as there are several nuances with MHs that you don't have in a conventional site-built home and most home inspectors not familiar with these nuances will not even know what to look for.

Make sure the inspector crawls under the home and thoroughly inspects each and every pier and pad assembly for rust, deterioration and decomposition if steel and for decompsition if concrete as homes that close to the ocean can be severely impacted by salt.

They should also make sure the home is level by checking all the doors and windows to make sure that they are not swinging or sticking and that all the strike plates on the doors are properly aligned and the doors close soundly.

The inspector should also inspect the steel mainframe for rust and decomposition as well. I can't tell you how many mainframes we've had to repair that were suffering and in some cases even failing from rust and deterioration related issues.

Be sure and have the inspector check for rips and tears in the vapor barrier under the floor. If there are openings in this membrane it could allow the insulation under the floor to become compromised and even fall on the ground.

Openings in the vapor barrier are also a great place for rodents and cats to habitate and reproduce. We've eradicated countless critters from these cavities over the years and it's not a very pleasant experience.

Finally and very importantly make sure the home has a state Housing and Coummunity Development Department (HCD) certified earthquake resistant bracing system (ERBS) as this area is classified as a Zone 4 earthquake area.

We are an experienced California licensed Manufactured home and general contractor and manufactured home dealer, developer and real estate brokerage with decades of experience in the MH industry.

We are located in North San Diego in Encinitas, Vista and San Marcos and cover the entire San Diego market we we would be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have about purchasing a MH at no charge or obligation to make sure you're made aware of the many Manufactured Home nuances, facts and important information you need to know before purchasing a Manufactured Home.

Please feel free to email us at Or you can call me anytime on my cell at 760 815-6977. Please feel free to log onto any of our very user friendly websites:
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Sep 5, 2012
John Arendsen answered:
Not quite figuring out what your question is. Please give me a call. I'm a local Encinitas RE broker and would be glad to help you. 760815-6977.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Jul 19, 2012
Cindy Davis answered:
if you specify which unit you are referring to - I'd be glad to look it up for you!
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Jul 7, 2012
Darrell D. Drouillard answered:
Listing yourself and on MLS????...are you an agent or broker? If it is on MLS, then it will auto populate here or your agent can add it and claim the listing on their account.
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 18, 2013
Tamara Stoebe answered:

There are REALTORS who can assist you with this - you may need to interview several before you find the right one.

I recommend speaking with the broker of 2 to 3 local companies and asking them to recommend 1-2 agents in their office who handle these types of transactions. In my area I know of 2 or 3 agents who have experience in handling these types of transactions.

I wish you the best of luck.

Tamara Stoebe, REALTOR, GRI, e-PRO, CHS, QSC
DRE License #01827461
Prudential Troth REALTORS
1801 W. Ave. K
Lancaster, CA 93534
Cell: (661) 466-6849
Fax: (661) 422-3006
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 19, 2012
Bill, Has the appraisal been done? Is there a "community" heater? I would think you are going to run into issues with financing unless there is some sort of heating mechanism providing service to the unit. Could be considered a health and safety issue, or the lender could just deny financing. Certainly a negotiable item...curious that it was not disclosed in the listing or the sellers disclosures. It seems pretty incongruous that seller or LA did not know there is no heater in the unit.

Best of luck!
... more
0 votes 20 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 19, 2011
Marcin Talaga answered:
If it has been on the market since 06, offer as low as you want. The worst thing they can do is reject it. I would think that at this point, they would want to get rid of it so any offer coming in is worth looking at for them. Take the chance. Why not?

... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 29, 2013
Joseph Runfola answered:
Sun Nov 18, 2012
Daniel Del Real answered:
The best way to approach this is to do your research on where the hot spots are for RE investments then find a local agent that will be able to give you actual numbers. i.e vacancy factors, crime, median income, neighborhoods and market activity.

In the Central Valley we are seeing 10-20% ROI/year. Check out my blog to see some "real" investment purchases and returns.

Daniel Del Real, CRS
Del Real Group- PMZ
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 2, 2011
Jaryd Ruffner answered:
My advice would be to ask for referrals from other investors who have had good experiences with agents in your marketplace. Another option would be to interview a couple agents and try to find one with experience in handling investment properties. Many agents are also investors themselves. Find an agent who owns multiple properties. ... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 17, 2010
Marcie Sands answered:

I suggest you work directly with your Agent/REALTOR to find a rental through the MLS. They might be able to locate either a mo to mo lease or 6 month. Craig's List is another option however a bit more risky. Most of the home rentals in the OPE area however are going to me higher than $2500 per month and may require a 12 month lease. You can also try contacting property management companies. Many of the Trulia agents would be happy to help if you do not have an agent yet.

Kind Regards,
Marcie Sands, REALTOR
Simply The Best Real Estate Co., Inc.
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 24, 2010
Daniel Di Matteo answered:
That's a great question Aclemens,
Here's a blog I wrote last week regarding the wave of foreclosures coming and the effect it will have on values:

These are the kinds of topics I cover on a regular basis.
Please check us out.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 3, 2016
Bill Hays answered:
Hey M.

Since no one has answered you, I will tell you what I can about smog factor here in San Diego being that I have lived here since 1983 and prior to that lived in LA and go to LA fairly regularly. First, you maybe able to find to good information at the San Diego Air Pollution Control District. Their website is .

Basically, what you have read is correct to a point and seems to be seasonal. Fall is the worst time for smog here as the Santa Ana winds which occur at that time of year push the smog in LA out to sea as you describe and then the smog is blown back inland into San Diego. Ironically, the mountain areas of San Diego are the worst hit by this phenomena.

The APCD has air monitoring equipment all over San Diego County that take air readings to determine whether or not the air quality is attaining certain air quality standards. The County gets dinged for not meeting those standards and then industry here gets more heavily regulated for their air emissions. That is where the argument our "non-attainment" status that we have in some areas here is not from our pollution, but from LA.

Basically, how it affects you depends where you want to live down here. I have lived by the coast in North San Diego County for the past 28 years and really don't find smog to be an issue. However, places like Julian and Alpine will have higher concentrations of smog during the fall because when it does blow in from the ocean, it collects against the mountain range and concentrates in those areas.

When I was a kid in LA, I remember having days in which our physical activities (ie. recess) were limited due to poor air quality because of smog. I haven't seen those down here EXCEPT when there is a fire burning in the area, which is another issue altogether as across Southern California each Fall the arson wackos light the hillsides on fire at the first inclination of a Santa Ana weather condition.

But along the coast, it is beautiful, warm, and absolutely the place to be if you like the beach lifestyle.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good Luck!

... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 21, 2012
Paula Reno answered:
I would suggest you call S.J. Fowler Real Estate he can set you up with something..
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 7, 2010
Lourdrie McNamee, MRP answered:

The best way to buy foreclosures or any other properties is to find a local real estate agent. He or she can help you locate the property you are looking for and negotiate the best price and terms for you when it comes to making an offer. I would be more than happy to give you names of agents in your area, should you need someone. Just email me at

Best of luck in finding your new home.

Lou McNamee
Coldwell Banker
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 11, 2010
CCC answered:
Some or all of those foreclosures could be from Realty Trac , so it will be better to hire a realtor for accurate information.
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 18, 2013
Bentley Advisors answered:
The typical foreclosed home ends up as an REO owned by the bank. I wouldn't say that there are any major complications w/ buying these over any other home for sale...only that the seller is the bank. In most cases, these are sold as-is and the banks are very seldom willing to make any add'l buyer beware. It's super important to know exactly what you're getting into by doing your research and performing all the right inspections. Deals are always around. You need to surround yourself w/ the right professionals (realtors, lenders, inspectors, etc) and get the word out on the specifics of the type of "deal" you are looking for. After talking to enough people and making it clear as to your definition of a "deal", they will start coming to you. Good luck. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 6, 2017
Richard Lecinski answered:
You should contact the county and ask them. I know its possible to leave one wall and build around it in some areas.
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
1 2 3
Search Advice
Encinitas Zip Codes