Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Contra Costa County : Real Estate Advice

  • All65
  • Local Info5
  • Home Buying37
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 13
Fri Nov 21, 2014
Neil Case answered:
Hi Olivia,

I can't honestly tell you that I know for sure what the building and planning department for Danville will say when you request to do this. I do know that you really really really should not do it without going through the formal permit request process. There are all sorts of legal and insurance aspect reasons why it must be done "on the record."

I just closed a deal in Brentwood on a 4000 sq ft house that had a split garage in which one portion was a 2 car set up and the offset side was a one car stall. Before the buyer made the decision to buy the house we went to the planning dept and asked if that 3rd stall could be converted to living space. Brentwood said YES it could as long as there are at least 2 stalls remaining and the process was done with permits etc. This seems to be a common answer. Most cities don't want large houses with little or no garage parking available as this causes everybody to park on the streets and can cause visual blight. Danville might have a different answer. The best and only way to to know is to go down there (or call) and ask them. Good luck!
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 3, 2012
FHA 203k Mortgage Lender answered:
Tue Jul 23, 2013
Steven Ornellas answered:

You should contact the Lafayette permitting office to have them provide some guidance regarding this especially if you are going to be building over the former pool area (make sure to let them know about this very important detail of your remodel plans):

... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 27, 2012
Ronnie Romiti answered:
All Star Handyman
2950 Oakley Rd.

They will do a great job for you.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you

Thank you,

Ronnie Romiti
Altera Signature Properties
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 25, 2012
Konrad Ostachiewicz answered:
It is depends on many things like what is the wall finish inside (sheetrock, plaster, tiles...) and outside (wood siding, vinyl siding, stucco...), also price of the widows can very. For basic standard you need to calculate min. $300 (window and labor) for retrofit (fits into old opening) and min. $600 (labor and materials) for installing a bigger window. Installing a smaller one could be more expensive. If you need free estimate please let me know. I can send one of the contractors I work with. Low price and good job guaranteed. And of course if you or anybody you know needs real estate service I be glad to do business with you. All referrals are greatly appreciated. Should you have more questions you can shoot me an email.

Konrad Ostachiewicz
Office: 925-476-8210
Fax: 925-429-5892
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Apr 25, 2012
Reggie answered:
You mentioned the AC wall units are in the bedrooms, so let's assume you have 3 bedrooms.
If you don't have to Upgrade the Power Panel for the AC Unit, I would Estimate $ 4,000.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 26, 2012
Lance King answered:
You need to check with your local bldg dept as codes vary from city to city. There will be code requirements for space from the wall for the toilet for one thing - that will determine if you have enough space for that. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 12, 2011
Bob Georgiou answered:

Contractors hard cost is between $80 to $120 per square foot before some additional underground work and permit add ons. $200 per square foot is probably reasonable.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue May 14, 2013
D Van Dyk answered:
Wells Fargo should give you a list of 203k contractors (if they have an approved list). Your loan representative should help you.
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 22, 2016
Suzanne Looker answered:
I would absolutely spend $5k to fix it. Your kids have loved the pool and the next family's children may do the same. If you leave it 'as is', the pool inspector will call for the work to be done. The perception when a buyer makes an offer is that everything is in working condition and safe. If during the discovery phase it is apparant that the seller let things 'go', it may reflect in the perception of the whole property.
Being both a listing and sales agent, I have experienced the negative effects of deferred maintenance unless the seller is willing to heavily discount the property.
Suzanne Looker
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 1, 2009
Johnny Huang, MBA answered:
Tue May 19, 2009
Bernard Gibbons answered:
Basic pool from around $45,000 up to as much as you are prepared to spend.

You really have to talk to a pool specialist and get price quotes. There are soooo many alternatives.

Bernard Gibbons

Bernard Gibbons, Realtor, e-PRO Certified Internet Specialist
J. Rockcliff Realtors, 15 Railroad Avenue, Danville, CA 94526
Phone (925) 997-1585

See all homes fo sale in Contra Costa and Alameda Counties
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Aug 10, 2008
Steven Ornellas answered:
Hi Karen, this will depend on the amenities you currently have in your home. More than likely, the new insurance company will want to do a visual inspection of your home to determine your insurance premium, which will be based on their estimate to rebuild. -Steve ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice