Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Cleveland Park : Real Estate Advice

  • All8
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying2
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 3
Sat Nov 24, 2012
Miekeba Jones answered:
Hi Agneta,

Choose a Realtor in the area that you are interested in and they may provide you with an accurate tax information .


Miekeba Jones
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 29, 2009
Al Akerman answered:
Sp, your friend would have to speak to a tax pro, but here is my answer based on past experience.

Both laws are still in affect, but only your rule would apply in this case.

Your friend is referring to what is called a 1031 exchange. A 1031 can only be done if you sold an investment property and are buying a new investment property. They don't work for primary residences.

What you are referring to is up to $250,000 (if single and up to $500,000 for a married couple) in gains being tax free for a homeowner selling their primary residence.

The gains don't have to be rolled into a new home.

I hope this was helpful, and again, he should speak to his tax pro.

Good luck.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 10, 2007
Gail Hiebert answered:
Hello there Mercedes. The difference between buying a condo and buying into a co-op is very simple. With a condo, you get a title that you can sell when you want to, as long as you have a buyer. With a co-op you're not buying property. You're buying a membership that allows you to live there for a certain amount of time. The co-ops can be sold to different owner-investors, but you never own them youself. That is the real difference. Is that what you want to do? Look at it carefully. Hope this helps. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice