Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in Bryan : Real Estate Advice

  • All46
  • Local Info5
  • Home Buying13
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 1
Tue Aug 18, 2009
Myke Leatham answered:
Did you know that squatters have rights? It's true. Even though your mother is obviously the owner of the property, with or without a deed which has been recorded at the court house, she has been in possession of the property for longer than is required to legally claim the property as her own. Look up squatters rights in the state where you reside. Then contact an attorney to get things recorded correctly. Who has been paying taxes on the property all this time? The law is that of "adverse possession". And in Texas the period is three years. Contact a lawyer because there are many ifs and buts and it's pretty much case by case basis when it comes to adverse possession.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice