Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in Bergen County : Real Estate Advice

  • All111
  • Local Info7
  • Home Buying59
  • Home Selling6
  • Market Conditions5

Activity 9
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Dan Tabit answered:
With the owner’s permission you can do whatever you both agree to. A lease however is intended to protect the landlord and the tenant. They were required to give you notice and not evict you without cause prior to the end of the term and you agreed to stay or at least pay until the lease is up.
By giving you longer notice, they were being kind in letting you begin the process of finding a new home without going into panic. I would suggest you ask your landlord if you could leave early, since they apparently have other plans for the place. No one can guarantee their response, but unless you ask, the answer is always, "no.”
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 21, 2012
Pd5 answered:
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 8, 2012
Joshua Baris answered:
The most important thing is to do document the repair request to your landlord. If you can send an email or certified letter that would be ideal. Secondly, you must read in detail what your current lease states and if you are still unable to decipher the answer reach out to a NJ Real Estate attorney and/or NJ Realtor. Feel free to contact me if you would like for me to look at your lease for you. Best of luck, Joshua Baris RealtorofNJ. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Aug 20, 2012
Jennifer Barone answered:
I would love to work with you! I can be reached at 201 238 5522
Thank you
Jennifer barone
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 22, 2011
Alex Kushnir answered:
you were supposed to keep it in interest bearing account all this time. i am sure, the bank will give you the right amount
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 13, 2012
Amanda Nicodemus answered:
You will need to check with your State's landlord/tenant laws. Here in Texas, a landlord or tenant need to provide at least 30 days notice to move out. This should also be specified on your rental lease, if you signed one. After the determinate time, the landlord has the right to file an 'eviction notice' at the county courthouse. The courthouse will send you a certified notice to appear in court. If you don't appear the judgment will be granted to the landlord. Then the landlord will file a 'writ of possession' to obtain legal possession of the property (if the tenant refuses to move out). ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 23, 2012
Kenneth Verbeyst answered:
Yes they can write their own lease which may or may not be enforceable. Read it carefully and if you have questions consult with an attorney. That said ,leases are only as good as the people who sign them. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 16, 2009
Maria FORSBERG-VILLON answered:
You should check with the town, It may not be accaptable to have access to a roof with no railing, since some people have parties and place a BBQ on the roof, others put pools up there !!
The upstairs apartment needs to have Windows that are up to code in case there is a fire, maybe not access to the roof, now there are different rules in different towns and if a property is owner occupied some rules do not apply but once the property becomes an investment property things may change, sometimes it depends if it is a 2 or 3 family and how many levels of living space you have, some houses need a fire escape depending on the height and number of units.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jul 1, 2009
Jack Vollenberg answered:
Hi Ivy,

Your answer would be dependent on whether or not your town has rent control legislation. Both Ridgefield Park Village and Ridgefield Borough do. The exact language for their rental code can be found online for free. Follow the link below, click on "Online Code Library" and then "New Jersey" and you will find out all your answers right there. I would still follow this up with a phone call to the municipal building to make sure. Hope this helps!


Jacobus "Jack" Vollenberg
RE Appraiser - Vollenberg Appraisers
Asset Manager - ERA Statewide Realty
Cell (973) 590-0142
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice