Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Allen County : Real Estate Advice

  • All2
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying1
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 92
Tue Jul 27, 2010
Andro asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Jul 17, 2010
Courtney Bontempo answered:
Why wouldnt you want to compensate your agent if he/she does in fact sell your home? Your agent should have had you sign the extension, as in Indiana only contracts that are signed are binding. However, as a Realtor myself, I dont think you fully understand that your agent works on commission only. There is no hourly wage, salary etc... Your essentially asking how to do I use a Realtors services without paying him/her for their labor. If you feel your agent hasnt properly represented you or met your expectations, then at this point your able to seek out other agents or do a FSBO. I wouldnt recommend that you continue to lead on your current agent, if in the end your plan is to stiff him/her on a commission. Would you like to go to work for the next couple of weeks, to then have your employer tell you, well you know, you didnt fill out this employement form correctly, so technically we dont owe you any wages. Sorry, but thanks for all your hard work! ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 30, 2010
Hi Caseylahr,

You are asking some questions that need more detail to help you in answering them. For instance, are you moving across town or across country? How many rooms of furniture will you be moving? You might want to call a moving company for an estimate or a "Pods" type company & hire your own movers to load & unload the containers. I've done this a couple of times & found this to save quite a bit of money.

We have no idea of the size of the home you are talking about, could you include a link to the property?

If you are serious about the property, having a good inspector will be very helpful. Are you working wit a Realtor? They will be very helpful as well in directing you to inspectors & handymen to help you.

Good luck,
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue May 11, 2010
Kent Gagon answered:
Wow! That is a lot of information to absorb, Are you representing yourself? Or do you have an agent of your own? You need to talk to them, and if you are representing yourself, you need legal counsel, see the thing in a forum like this is we cannot see the contract, the addendums etc we cannot advice you on legal matters. We can however refer you to legal counsel. might be a good place to many unknowns in this questions you need additional assistance that noone on here is going to be able to provide, contact your realtor, their broker and when all else fails legal counsel.
Good luck sorry your home buying process is less than exciting
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Tue May 11, 2010
Jay Emerson answered:
If you continue from here, you have given the perception of being "OK with everything". Short sales are not friendly transactions but your agent should have been coaching you better. If you don't yet have bank approvals, you should not have gotten inspections. AND you don't have a fully-signed contract which means the 2009 tax credit is not an option for you.

Sounds like BOTH agents are rookies. Fire your agent or set the precedent that you're "OK".
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri May 7, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
If your property in question is listed for sale and if you have an agent, he/she can update the information for you--just ask--or you may wish to contact Trulia's customer service directly and inquire-- ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Jun 23, 2013
Michael Hostetler answered:
There are a coupleof inspection services I have had great experience with Jack, but if you were to pin me down to my favorite, it would be Aardvark Home Inspectors in Fort Wayne. Joe and his team are most thorough in their inspections, communicate on the buyer's level, and provide clear and concise documentation and pictures in a nicely produced binder.

Call or email me( if I can help you further.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 21, 2010
Emelia Sanchez answered:
The problem is not the citizenship. The issue is that it must be an "arms length transaction" meaning you can not have any relationship to the buyer.
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 16, 2010
Peter Bright answered:
If have at least 20 percent down you should be able to work with a local bank or credit union
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 27, 2011
Aninformedbuyer answered:
Much too long, too many people asking more then the houses are worth and cluess agents as well as brokers trying to scam people into thinking that the 2006 prices of which led to this mess are still prevelant today.

An informed buyer who knows the comps, researches and is ashamed at all the people taking advantage of prospective buyers
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 10, 2010
Sean Dawes answered:
What is that house worth though? They may be asking $144k with upgrades but do the comps reflect it?

Also is the builder moving units rapidly and do you feel like you will miss out? Im assuming you want it locked in before the 30th to get the tax credit?

If they arent moving units, play hard ball. You have cash and should use that as your leverage. 4k isnt much off asking unless they are already undervalued and have buyers lined up to come behind you.

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 23, 2010
Hi Charlie
Although in theory having consistent guidelines that everyone needs to conform to is very desirable, the execution of this seems to me to be off.

The toughest part of it for me has been that costs on the new GFE are a "worst case scenario" as opposed to what the costs will actually be at closing. There are some items which are normally paid for by the seller here in Michigan, such as transfer tax and owners title insurance, that have to go on the GFE.

It takes a lot of effort to explain this to the borrower and not make it sound like you're trying to pull a fast one on them :) It makes it even more important to work together with their realtor to make sure our customer understands. It also makes it imperative that we touch base with the title company early in the process to have them provide the borrower with ACTUAL costs.

I think this creates more work for ethical lenders who've always disclosed things properly anyway. It's just a shame that we're forced to work more to make up for those shady lenders who've relied on the old bait and switch.

Just my two cents...I'm interested in seeing what others have to say
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 22, 2010
Alisha Chen answered:
Yes, there are some banks willing to give out loans without much documentation if you have a large down payment like 40% and up. I've closed several transactions where the bank was willing to take the risk on the foreign buyer who just came to the US to work, so no W2, but with large down payment.

Alisha Chen
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 18, 2009
Jason Roshek answered:
Contact your County Public Trustee's Office, if you are in a State where there are no Public Trustee's Office then go your Local Sheriff. Notify them immediately. This will not stop the foreclosure. It will give you some time. Also Check with your Local Government offices. There are programs that are working on this issue. The BIGGEST and MOST IMPORTANT thing is to stop paying the landlord. Ask for the mortgage statement and talk to them and maybe pay them. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sun Dec 13, 2009
Marty G. Shanks asked:
properties in need of Contractor services (trash out, lock changes, lawn care, ect..), does anyone need or know of anybody that would like a professional and timely bid?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 10, 2014
Emily Alderin answered:
The house is liveable, but there could be possible treat for harm. Here is a website that might answer your question best.

Please, let me know if I can help with anything else.

Emily Alderin
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Rhonda Bandor answered:
Sheriff’s sales are generally a way for the lending institution to get possession of a property on mortgage foreclosure so the property can be resold. The lending institution can bid their judgment in addition to interest, taxes and attorney fees without putting up the cash. The plaintiff’s bid will also include the cost of the sale. So if you have a mortage on it, it will probably go back to the bank. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 18, 2009
Mike Linkenauger answered:
I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your home, like many Americans. A short sale may be a good solution. Some of the lenders will give you a little money for the move, and it will not impact your credit like a foreclosure. Unfortunately you would not get to keep your home, but at least you would avoid losing the home and be able to get out from undernegth it! You definately do sould like a good canidate. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 6, 2009
Jackie Auburn answered:
Find a lender and get qualified and get pre approved..Shop a lender like you would your home. Very carefully..Get referrals from friends, relatives or realtors. Find a good experienced full time Realtor. Shop location 1st, then check out school districts and then your home search.. When you find the right home make sure you have a contingency addendum in contract for a home inspection.. I wouldn't buy anything with out a home inspection from a good qualified licensed inspector to search for any defects in home that you might not be aware of. Good luck. ... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5
Search Advice