Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Allen : Real Estate Advice

  • All150
  • Local Info16
  • Home Buying53
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 114
Thu May 14, 2015
Tim Moore answered:
Wow, are you telling me that a regular water heater replacement is going to cost $1,500? I just replaced my own 50 gal electric water heater and saved the plumbers cost, but even with a plumber I would not expect a standard water heater with install to be much over $600-700 total. The tankless units are expensive and I have very little experience with them. ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 31, 2011
Don Groff answered:
You will want to read the contract. Typically you pay a $60 deductible for the repair man to come out. If the repair is not covered you are responsible for the deductible. Make sure you know the repair is covered. That can be difficult sometimes. I typically use American Home Shield so find out who you would like to use. Do a google search to see if there are a lot of complaints about them and how good they are to work with.

I have never heard of any that do a buyout... their job is to get your covered repair fixed as cheaply as possible and they are not going to hand you over any money. If they did that how would they know it was fixed correctly if another claim was made?

Don Groff
REALTOR | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
... more
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 24, 2011
Bruce Lynn answered:
Sounds about right.
In the past I always suggested a number of about 1% of the value of the home.
However lately the past year or two I have seen many quotes come in about 1/2%/year of the home value.
So you sound pretty close to those two numbers.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 4, 2011
Tony McMahon answered:
It is unfortunate that the weather didn't cooperate for you to allow the inspector to get on the roof, did he have access from the inside? You do not want to turn on the a/c under 60-65 degrees you could blow the compresser. You may be able to creat an addendum to the home inspection concerning being able to test the a/c after closing when the temperature permits. I am not sure what you mean pertaining to the sprinkler system ? If the water supply is on and there is no leaks that's about all you can check. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Mon May 8, 2017
Ruth and Perry Mistry answered:
Wed Apr 9, 2014
Adrian Huntington answered:
In my opinion, it is better to buy a 3 Bedroom, 2 Bath home with large bedrooms, then a 4 Bedroom, 2 Bath home with small bedrooms. Small bedrooms are less desirable.
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 24, 2014
Debra (Debbie) Rose answered:
I have never seen a hot water heater in an attic, but maybe it is more common in your area. Check to see if that's the case near you.

If nothing else, make sure there is a large pan under the unit in case of leakage. Hot waer heaters can "go" without warning, and you don't want water coming through the ceiling to the rooms below. ... more
0 votes 25 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 12, 2014
Linda Lorenzo answered:
Maggie, as an agent that is not an easy question. First of all we are not allowed to steer clients to one community over another. It is really up to the client to do this research on their own. I can tell you that Allen has some great growth potential, great schools and great shopping. There are several builders in Cumberland Crossing and you can check them out on J.D. Powers -

There are currently 5 homes for sale, 3 under contract and 5 sold in the last 6 months. If you would like more information or a CMA for the homes, let me know, I would love to be of assistance.
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 20, 2010
Scott Butcher answered:
I'm sure there are many qualified Realtors that can answer your question. Remember to make sure you are pre-approved for your loan when you make your offer.

I remember Twin Creeks when it was originally built in the mid 90s. How has it been kept up? is the golf course still in good condition? ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Dec 9, 2010
Bruce Lynn answered:
You can look at traffic count data here:
Under the engineering tab check traffic counts
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 7, 2010
Dallas Texas answered:
Professional code of ethics would prevent a Realtor make any comment on which builder.

RECOMMEND: Excel spreadsheet compare apples to apples.

Our clients with new builds we take through the developement we point out all the differences between the builders and communites therefore easier for you make a decision.

Both are good builders with great looking homes

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 30, 2010
Bob Movin-On answered:
No you own the taxes, which you can collect interest on while you own them.
If you want to take ownership of the property you need to foreclosure, long costly process especailly these days. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 24, 2014
Dallas Texas answered:
NOTE: This is public forum any negative comments and etc. the person who made a statement can be sued by the company.

HOWEVER best check following areas:
1. BBB
2. County records lawsuits
3. Ask local residences and business in area for their opinion.

NOTE: Never purchase a home from a builder UNLESS you have a Realtor represent you. Contract are tricky and top 10 questions I answer daily of how a buyer did not use a Realtor now lost earnest money and etc.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 27, 2017
Eric Brooks answered:
Yes, it is all about disclosure. As an agent, you must disclose that you are also the owner of the property to any potential buyer - this is normally done in the disclosure packet but can also be added to the MRIS. ... more
0 votes 33 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 2, 2010
Dallas Texas answered:
Unless all the documents been reviewed difficult to render an opinion. Is there a contact number for you to call? In most instances the bank gives cash for keys within a certain time period if you move out.

However I would not risk .

I work with many families in leasing homes here in Dallas area
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 24, 2014
Ronda Allen answered:
Texas is a non-disclosure state. We aren't allowed to publish sale prices in a public forum like this. We can discuss sales data privately, however. Feel free to call my office 972-816-4369, and I'll give you the answer to your question. The buyer got a nice deal on that 2007 resale property, built by Highland Homes. It took a contract in the first week of March and closed the first week in April.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 8, 2010
Melissa Hailey answered:
If you are speaking of the sale on the courthouse steps (foreclosure auction) then the home has more than likely been sold back to the foreclosure bank. If that is the case, then the bank now owns the property and will put the home back on the market in the near future. However, the timeframe for that to happen varies. Before the bank can sell the home they must go through a process of checking the property, possible inspections or repairs, market analysis, and then listing the home with a real estate agent. Sometimes it takes months before the home will come up for sale in the MLS.

If you would like to be kept informed on the status of a particular home, please let me know. I would be happy to set you up for an automatic email as soon as the home is entered into the MLS so that you can be one of the first people to know about it.

Additionally, as a buyer, there is no cost to you for my services. My office is located in Wylie and we specialize in the Collin County area. I would be happy to help in any way.

Melissa Hailey
North Texas Top Team Realtors
Coldwell Banker Jane Henry Realtors
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 7, 2010
T.E. & Naima Sumner answered:
I think you have been lucky to get your security deposit back. Many people in your shoes have not been able to get even that back.

May be you can work out a deal with the new owners where they can give you a few weeks to move out and that would cover the monies paid that you won't get back.

If you want to pursue that further, you may want to hire an attorney.

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 10, 2009
Ronda Allen answered:
The answer is - Yes, with qualifications. Lending rules have changed dramatically in the last year. 2009 was definitely a year of changes in the industry. A spouse is not required to be on a home loan and still retain rights of title in Texas. I suggest you contact a very good Texas-based lender and discuss your options. Right now, you can ask for a Good Faith Estimate from any of the lenders you are considering for a refinance. After January 1, 2010, there is a new form for Good Faith Estimates. It is available now, and you should ask the lender to go ahead and explain it to you. It makes full disclosure by the lenders a little more apples-to-apples and explains fees that are fixed and fees that are adjustable (within tolerances). We agents are just being introduced to this form ourselves.

If I may, I recommend you contact Rodney Anderson Lending Services, A Division of Supreme Lending. Rodney is a top mortgage broker in Texas and offices locally in Plano. He has been a trusted advisor on all things loan-related to me for over 7 years, after a strong recommendation from a client. You can reach Rodney and his team of associates at 1-800-express, or 972-985-5208, or online at You can see Rodney on tv on shows like Good Morning Texas and MSNBC. And, you can tune in, and call in, to the local radio show. He's on 105.3fm each Saturday morning at 9am. Ask your question on the air and help many others with similar questions who may also want to hear the answer.

Have a blessed day!

Ronda Allen, Realtor and Certified Purchasing Manager
RE/MAX Dallas Suburbs
CEO of
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 24, 2014
. answered:
Great Question about barnkruptcy and home buying!

I think this question would be best posed to your bankruptcy lawyer but in terms of homebuying,
it is my understanding that as long as your in bankruptcy you can now qualify to purchase a home.
Once your out of bankruptcy and have been released it can take up to two years (or more) to get your credit back to a point where you can qualify. A Bankruptcy attorney could best advise you on your particular private matters.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6
Search Advice
Allen Zip Codes