Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Buying in 97229 : Real Estate Advice

  • All66
  • Local Info2
  • Home Buying36
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 260
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Dirk Knudsen and Kirra Krussman answered:
From my experience the Portland area is pretty sound. We see typical cracks and water issues in older homes with full basements. The Water table is pretty high up here. But I rarely see a home with such poor foundations that we can not easily fix them.

The West hills and surrounding areas have had some slope instability issues. That I have seen. In general however we do not have foundations crumbling as a critical issue. Not to say however should we have a major Earth Quake...well then I would foresee some major issues in older homes.

The foundation standards were upgraded a lot over the years and in 1993 went through a Major earthquake upgrade.

If your worried about foundations in Portland we have some great inspectors. Of course it makes sense to look very very closely before buying.

Thanks Aaron. Hope all is well in Boise.


Dirk Knudsen
Re\Max Circle of Legends
Re\max Metro Gold
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 10, 2010
Lana Lavenbarg answered:
I think what you need to look at Matthew is where you want to be...if Vancouver has the home for you in the right price range - go for it! There is easy enough access to get back and forth to places in Portland from there - including the airport. You will need to be the one to decide which place works best for you - but I really dont see negatives! ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 8, 2010
James Adair answered:
Hi Nate,

first of all N. Portland is GREAT! I think for the budget of $180k you will probably have the most luck in the St. Johns neighborhood. There are some great property search links from my website (even though I'm a mortgage originator, I have links to some neighborhood specialists with great online search tools).

The first time buyer tax credit expires this spring. You MUST be under contract to purchase no later than 4/30/2010... and then you will have 60 days to close escrow in order to qualify. So if you are looking to wait, you will very likely be out of luck on that score.

good luck! happy hunting. Get back to portland ASAP!
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Fri May 28, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
A short sale is when more is owed than the property is worth--As far as neigborhoods are concerned, do some of your own homework as well-- visit a neighborhood several times and at different times of day to get a sense of “belonging”. Check out area statistics; real estate professionals are prohibited from “steering”—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; Choose what suits your lifestyle best based on current and anticipated wants and needs--a good Realtor will guide you through the process--don't forget to visit with any qualified loan officer(s) first to see exactly what your budget can handle.
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 10, 2010
. answered:
Yes the agent is required to give you a copy of the contract. If you can't get her and she works for a company, then call the broker in charge. Whoever did the closing for you would also have to have a copy of the contract so you should also try to contact them. In my state, we do not close until a seller moves out completely so this could have been handled prior to closing by the seller either removing the debris or you (the buyer) being compensated before the seller received their proceeds. ... more
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Sat Feb 27, 2010
James Adair answered:
The answer is YES. You will have to document your social security income, as well as your credit history and current debt service. If your income exceeds the total debts including new mortgage/home debts favorably then you will certainly qualify.

The standard maximum total debt service is 41%. This means that the total of all outgoing debt payments should be no more than 41% of your gross monthly income. With Social Security income, if you aren't taxed on it you are allowed to "gross up" that final income figure by 125% in some cases.

Let me know if you would like an income analysis
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 13, 2009
The Stephen FitzMaurice Team answered:
Follow the Max line - or proposed Max line stops. This is often the number one draw for our commuter town.
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 11, 2009
Katrina Bell answered:
I have a listing on Hayden Island right now so have been watching that market closely. There has been very little activity on the island in general over the past year or two and the inventory is very high right now. I'm assuming you are referring to the Waterside. I personally think that there was not enough demand out there for that type of development and I also think they had some development delays which resulted in hitting the market after the peak. I can't tell whether I think it's a good investment without being under contract with you but your agent should be able to advise you. Good luck! ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 10, 2009
Steve Roesch answered:
Hi Mike. Long time, no see. My guess is that it will act like a divorced couple fighting to get the exemption over one child.

Both can fill out their separate returns claiming the one purchase. But if or when it gets audited, I am sure the intent was one credit per house. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 8, 2010
Marge Bare answered:
Hi Matthew,
You need a good lender to help you with your question. The Real Estate Broker works together with your lender, but your lender is the person that helps you with your loan issues. This type of information is considered "private" as you can imagine. Once you get approved and have a letter stating that, then your Real Estate Broker helps you find the home.

The lending guidelines have changed dramatically and continue to change today. You can find a lender by going to the place you bank, a credit union, or asking your Real Estate Broker for referrals. Then I would find someone you feel you can trust as its a very important part of buying your home, and someone inexperienced or not trustworthy will make the transaction miserable for you and everyone else involved.

They will be able to look at your financial picture and give you advice on how to repair credit, what you can do today to improve it over time, or how/if you can purchase today.
Best to you and your wife on purchasing a home.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 13, 2010
Thesa Chambers answered:
It is not truly "monitored" however any material facts are to be disclosed. Good for you to have an inspection and do what is right for you - now that those items are "known" they should be disclosed. Sadly, people do lie and not always tell the whole story, thus an inspection is a good idea on ANY home. I applaud you and your agent for doing the inspection and protecting your interest.

Many times a listing agent will use the old - we have a back up offer to try and push the buyer through - the bottom line is - if the repairs exceed what you would want to do - or that they will do - then moving on may be the best thing for you! I hope if they have a back up offer the other buyers are informed - and regardless I hope they too do an inspection. Congrats on protecting yourself - the money spent on the inspection was the best investment you could make into your future home ownership - best of luck finding the perfect house
... more
0 votes 19 answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 5, 2009
Wayne Pruner answered:
You are probably just fine. You are experiencing the dreaded "Buyers Remorse". If you trust your agent and you were happy with the deal when you made it, then don't try to second guess yourself. Just enjoy your new home. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Nov 18, 2009
Theresa Brown answered:
Sounds like you purchased this condo without a buyers agent and he wasn't represented either. I would contact your local taxing authority and get the facts about the tax exemption. Also sounds like the seller did some false advertising to entice buyers and he misrepresented the facts which amounts to fraud. I don't know the market out there but you may have also overpaid for what is a studio vs a one-bedroom. I'd meet with a real estate attorney for professional advice and now. Don't become a "knowing victim". ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 17, 2012
Stacey Wyatt answered:

Through the MLS in Atlanta, we have the ability to set-up what is called Client Gateway. This is essentially a website for the Buyer (or Seller) to look at properties in the MLS that the Agent sets up to meet certain search criteria. It is an AWESOME tool. Once set-up, the MLS automatically sends them updates to their Gateway like new listed property, property status updates, etc. They don't get every single detail found in the MLS; however, it gives them most everthing they need to see. I would speak to a local Agent and ask if their MLS has something like this. Good luck! ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 20, 2009
Lana Lavenbarg answered:
Personally I like our MLS system it does quite a decent job and makes mine much easier.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 1, 2011
Wayne Pruner answered:
From what I have heard, the CRS is one of the most difficult to obtain. ABR and CRS would have the most bebefit to the client.

What I think that these disignations reveal, is the areas of primary interest to the agent. If the agent has only one or two designations, then they usually have an interest in concentrating on those clients with those specific needs and may be a good choice for those clients. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 18, 2013
Conrad Hodgson answered:
Hi Maria,
Each year in late September or early October, the county assessor places the taxes certified by the taxing districts on the tax roll. Property taxes are placed on the tax roll in the form of a rate per $1,000 of assessed value. In most cases, the taxes for operations are the permanent rate limits certified by the districts. When a district certifies a dollar amount tax levy, such as a local option tax or bond tax, the assessor must calculate a tax rate. To compute the tax rate, the tax levy amount is divided by the taxable assessed value of the district. For example: Green City certifies a local option tax in the amount of $225,000. The taxable assessed value of the city is $39,487,000. The rate for the local option tax is calculated as follows:

tax levy amount / taxable assessed value = tax rate

$225,000 / $39,487,000 = .0056980 or = $5.6980 per $1,000 of assessed value

This tax rate is placed on the individual property tax accounts in the city. All the taxable property within the city will have the same rate for the local option tax. The amount of tax to be paid, of course, will vary depending on the assessed value of each property.

Individual properties are taxed by the districts that provide services to that property. For example, a property in Green City would pay taxes to the city, the county, a school district, and maybe a library district. Property outside the city would pay taxes to the county, a school district, a rural fire protection district, and maybe a library district, but not to the city.

Some properties are subject to assessments of a special taxing district. An example would be a drainage district that assesses on a per acre basis. These qualifying assessments also are placed on the tax roll.

The total amount of tax placed on a property is computed by multiplying the property's assessed value by the combined tax rates of all the districts in which it is located and then adding any assessments.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 17, 2009
Steve Roesch answered:
There are a ton of guidelines. Go to FHA website for more. But here are some:

dryrot, none
mold, no obvious evidence
crawlspace clearance, 18"
vegetation around the exterior 12"
hand rails on stairs and porches
roof life 3+ years
water heater off ground, and if natural gas, property venting

this is just off the top of my head,
was there anything specific you were concerned about?
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 17, 2012
Thesa Chambers answered:
I can not answer your question - the answer is in your paperwork - talk with you agent about holding back funds in escrow so the seller will not get all the funds until the repair is complete.... or delay the closing until it is complete - money does talk ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
... 5 6 7 8 9 ...
Search Advice