Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in 95118 : Real Estate Advice

  • All20
  • Local Info2
  • Home Buying12
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 29
Mon Jul 15, 2013
Elena Talis answered:
It depends... If the general floor plan is acceptable then remodel. I don't think you want to be a buyer on this market anywhere in Bay Area.
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun May 3, 2015
Michael Cheng answered:
Trulia, are you looking to renovate a home for one of your executives? If so, the annual property tax will be adjusted based on value of the added improvements for the renovation.
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 25, 2013
Sam Shueh answered:
Suggest you contact contractors the questions. Based on what you described you have not even described foundation, structure etc. After you speak to the first contractor you will have more questions than answers. You need to learn about set back distance etc, city planning dept is the first place I start
before you go too far.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 15, 2013
Mitchell Pearce answered:

It first depends on whether you need more than $35,000 from the loan for repairs. If less, then their are no special requirements. If more, and you are referring to the contractor who does the work, you can use any contractor who has not been barred from receiving money from a government entity. These are rare and you would not want to use one anyway. Such contractors appear on a black list that the bank will check when you are submitting the loan application.

I would be delighted to assist you with your application and submit the application to our underwriters so you can get a loan. Please call me at 408-639-0211 or email me at

Mitchell Pearce
High Tech Lending
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 28, 2012
charles butterfield answered:
The cost varies within a rather wide range. Factors that will have a large influence the cost are issues such as how you will tie the addition into the existing roof and foundation, what kind of finish work you want, what kind of heating and cooling you want.. Will there be additional bathrooms included in the addition, and etc.

A good contractor that I recommend is Martin Grove.

The telephone number for Mr. Grove is: (650)464-6099.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 12, 2012
Grace Hanamoto answered:
Yikes, not advisable. Losing common area like a living room in favor of a master bedroom and bath and sticking it at the front of the home would be deemed as unnecessary and unfavorable by buyer standards. Almost all buyers today want both the living room and family rooms in their new homes. Although a big master bedroom and master bath are desirable, I would put the amount of living space as far more important to most families.

To really maximize your home improvements, contact the agent who worked with you in purchasing this home and get their opinion regarding how best to renovate the home. In the alternative, talk to your architect or interior designer for assistance. Getting help from professionals will help you avoid costly and expensive errors in the future.

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 6, 2014
Tim Moore answered:
You should contact the town building dept and speak to them.
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Thu May 31, 2012
Terri Vellios answered:
You are doing this within the walls of your garage? Or expanding outside of the garage?

The building department will determine by your lot and set backs what you can build per zoning. As for a real estate determination of a garage, a two car garage is about 400 square feet, 20 x 20 (even though today's cars rarely fit in them. So a 10 x 20 or what you are proposing 12 x 20 probably could be counted as a single car garage.

Which ever you decide please get a permit and have it finalized. It will make resale for you and financing for the future borrower that much easier.

Have an amazing day!
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 22, 2014
charles butterfield answered:
Thank you, for your question Pankaj:

I recommend that you get bids from at least 3 licensed contractors. The amount of money that it will cost depends on what you want in the room addition.

Recently, one of my clients asked for bids for a 400 square foot room addition for his home. The bids that he received were in the range of $35,000 to $45,000.

Because the room addition that you are asking about is 100 square feet larger than the room addition that my client was looking for, I expect that your bids will be a bit more than that. Also, in the case of my client, the roof tie in, heating and cooling system, and the type of foundation desired were significant factors in the amount of the bids. I expect those will be significant factors in the case of your room addition as well. .

Thank you,
Charles Butterfield MBA
Real Estate Broker/REALTOR
American Realty
Cell Phone: (408)509-6218
Fax: (408)269-3597
Email Address:
... more
0 votes 19 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 22, 2012
Mkda asked:
I’m starting to hear about the trend toward “luxury height” bathroom vanities in which they’re like kitchen cabinets at 36” tall. I’m tall so this was the way I was going ...
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon May 21, 2012
Terri Vellios answered:
This has two answers. (1) Can you legally convert your garage to a home office check your city building code? (2) For a tax write off you will need to contact your tax adviser as us agents can only give real estate advice.

All the best to you.
... more
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 16, 2012
Sabrina Simpson answered:
I suggest that you contact a local licensed general contractor in your area for a bid. You can also submit a request for bid on for contractors to contact you. Be sure that you verify their contractors license on the California State License Board website - and when you hire a contractor get a copy of his contractor's license and driver's license. This way you know he isn't just using someone else's license. It is also good to take pictures of the people working on your home while they are doing the job. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 6, 2012
Michael Cheng answered:

For something like that, you're best served by having a licensed contractor take a look at your proposed building site and make a recommendation. Otherwise, we're guessing at best and this is a forum of mostly real estate professionals. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 6, 2012
Don Tepper answered:
That depends on your local regulations. My gut (and informal) reaction is: No. Admittedly, I could be wrong.

However, perhaps more to the point, have it done professionally. There�39;s a reason why the contractor has a license and your friend doesn't. Incorrect or improper installation could result in fatalities. Spend the money and have it done correctly. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 15, 2011
John Hanson answered:
ask your local planning dept.
you can do anything you want but you should know the the local law as it will some day catch up with you.
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Jul 29, 2011
Grace Hanamoto answered:
Hi Houseproject:

Try Alfred Rafuson, Jr., P. E. He's a civil engineer who can do the structural calculations the city requires. He's really really good at his job, and worth every penny of his time and talent. His offices are located in Willow Glen and you can reach him by phone at (408) 280-7227. Tell him I sent you!!

Grace Morioka
Area Pro Realty-PC
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 6, 2010
John Juarez answered:

Who gave you the $/sq. ft. figure? If it was someone from the assessor’s office it would be a lot more credible figure that if you got it from another source.
It is more expensive to build a bathroom (electrical and plumbing and water resistant materials) than the same square footage in the middle of your living room. Can’t make a comparison on simple cost per square foot basis is my guess. Same for a fireplace for obvious reasons.
Discuss your issues with a representative of the assessor’s office. That office will have the final say.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 16, 2010
Michael Roberts answered:
Hi Bechout, The simple answer is yes. The best answer requires us to know what you want to convert the garage to. You can make it living space. Legally would mean there should be a permit application made and subsequent phase inspections.

You can get the best info here..

... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 16, 2010
Michael Roberts answered:
Hi Bechout. All of the above items above?...maybe not. This will require a particular amount of available space and then there is the number of water sources you are looking at (4?) One in the kitchen and 3 in the bathroom.

Vivit thi site for the best info available

... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 8, 2010
Gabriel Nguyen answered:
It's depends on the General Constructor, I recommend to have at least 3 different GC to quote. Please remember to check for their license, bond (workers' comp). It's hard to estimate since it all depends on the job and material you use. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice