Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in 95051 : Real Estate Advice

  • All79
  • Local Info3
  • Home Buying49
  • Home Selling6
  • Market Conditions3

Activity 4
Wed May 20, 2015
Terri Vellios answered:
It will be up to the Building Department. You can go to the city and meet with an inspector to discuss the scope of your work.
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 2, 2012
Ron Thomas answered:
You aren't serious, are you?

Assuming that you hire an Architect, go the route of a quality build; it could run $400 per sqaue foot, and that would be plus/minus $300/sqft.

There are just too many variables!
And does not include the permits.

You need to contact several good Contractors; and they probably are not here on Trulia.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 13, 2017
Joe Nernberg answered:
Disconnecting and reconnecting the faucet and drain piping? Needs a permit. I see Frankenstein-like plumbing under sinks every week. Mostly, your renovations seem like things I would not get permitted. Not my advice really - just my opinion.

Short list of things requiring a permit in California: new dual pane windows, furnace replacement, water heater replacement, re-roof, ceiling fan, cooling unit replacement, new electrical panel, kitchen remodel, bathroom remodel, patio cover, framing alterations.

Permits trigger the installation of smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. HVAC replacement (full or partial) triggers duct testing and sealing/repairs. Pre 1978 homes need a lead certification and remediation when you manipulate and sand walls or floors.

New work on old homes require new (today's) code compliance.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 11, 2009
Andrea Wince ~ Lic. 01439761 answered:
If it wasn't built properly I don't understand how it could have passed a permit inspection. Was a FINAL permit inspection signed off by the city ? You really need to have your Realtor recommend how you should proceed. Your Realtor who represented you with the initial offer to purchase should be helping you to resolve this issue as it appears a bit complex and you will need to do some extensive research. ... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Search Advice