Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

94605 : Real Estate Advice

  • All34
  • Local Info5
  • Home Buying17
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions3

Activity 588
Wed Jun 25, 2014
Eric H. Wong answered:
Oakland's sewer lateral ordinance has been around for almost a year now. Either your agent or the title company should have warned you that you would need either an EBMUD certificate of compliance, or a sewer line inspection in order to close escrow.

Since it is a point of sale ordinance, this may count as a new material disclosure about the property, giving you the right to renegotiate the price of the home, or the terms of closing or even possibly, canceling the contract. You may want to try to get advice from your agent's broker, since, clearly, your agent has made a serious over sight.

If your sewer line does need to be replaced, there is also the mater of the EBMUD $4500 bond.

This may give you some answers;
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 27, 2013
Pacita Dimacali answered:
Best thing to do is find a property management company -- many of them advertise their listings on craigslist. If you see some decent posts, contact the rental agents and ask them to help you. Not all listings are advertised, so there may be a few that will meet your requirements.

Is there another area besides Oakland that you may want to consider --- Alameda, for example. We's an island just across the bridge from Oakland. Fabulous community with dog parks and paths (imagine walking along Shoreline Drive with fantastic views of the city.

Call me at 510 205 2992 if you need more information. Perhaps I may be able to help you.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Claire Wills answered:
I definitely would, I would also recommend finding a qualified agent on Trulia that is around your area that could work for you on your behalf. I'm sorry you're dealing with such a headache. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Claire Wills
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 28, 2013
Shanna Rogers answered:
Hi Frederic,

You have to hire a Realtor and ask them to list in on here. Trulia does not list For Sale By Owner properties.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Cindy Davis answered:
These are things that are probably in a lease you have one? A standard lease usually specifies these details.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Pacita Dimacali answered:
Did you try getting your own credit report and see for yourself?

0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 5, 2013
John Souerbry answered:
The biggest consideration is whether or not your investment numbers still work for you after you spend $10k (or more) on the roof. I'd ask for the complete cost of the roof as a credit, not just $3k.
Another huge consideration is if your lender (if you're not buying cash) will allow escrow to close with the current roof in place. If not, either the seller has to replace the roof or you'll end up having to do it. The risk is that if you spend money on the house and escrow doesn't close, you may have a heck of a time getting back what you spent on the roof.
If the seller won't discount the sales price by the cost of the roof or replace the roof himself, I'd seriously re-consider if I want such a deal.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 19, 2013
Joy Anna Mercedes answered:
That is a good question. Safety is at the forefront of all of our minds--even more-so with the unfolding of this months events on the East Coast. If you would like to discuss this and other real estate/social related phenomenon ---please give a call 510-502-7811. Have a good/safe/fun holiday season. :0) ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 24, 2013
Suzanne MacDowell answered:
It is possible but it can be messy and time consuming. And he does have to be paid for the work he's done so far. Call the FHA supervisor and tell him the issues you are having. He or she may be able to intervene on your behalf to resolve any disputes but if you really feel this guy is not doing his job well by all means get rid of him, just be prepared for the delays. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 14, 2012
Joe Annunziato III answered:
Coincidentally, I was in this building just two days ago performing a BPO. You have asked about the Portobello Complex but I believe the building in this listing is called the Fourth Street Lofts (at least this is the name on the building). It is a revamped warehouse with mixed use spaces. There are businesses and a restaurant on the ground floor with the condo units accessed through a secured door. I was also in the building about a year ago and both of the units I have seen were fairly large loft style units with somewhat large, open living space and an open loft space for the bedroom. The area has a number of properties similar to this one with some being re-worked and others being significantly newer buildings. There is a lot of foot traffic (I was there at lunch time) with plenty of restaurants with outdoor eating spots, coffee shops etc...

If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Joe Annunziato III
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 24, 2013
Laura Coffey answered:
First of all you are banking on the listing agent being experienced and putting together a solid package. If one document is missing the package goes to the bottom of the pile. The bank will never call and say they are missing something it's up to the agent.
Second of all the negotiators are mostly paper pushers with no idea what they are doing but getting all the packages and going over what they think the investor will sign off on. Each negotiator has hundreds to thousands of files they have in their own.
Once you get approval from one you have to get the other to agree. This all takes time because the subprime lenders seemed to have the files are all the same. If one of the lien holders is ING I would walk now if you don't have patience that lender is nightmare that takes months.
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 7, 2012
Pacita Dimacali answered:
Looks like it's listed at $125k

By following this link, I also found this info

Take a look...
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 5, 2012
djokesteen asked:
This question was asked from
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 5, 2012
Jodi Selene answered:
Transit score is part of a walk score, which is a wonderful tool for determining where a property is from vital services and places of interest, such as transit, libraries, cafes, stores, etc. For example, Berkeley - - is a very walkable city. San Francisco is the 2nd most walkable city in the U.S. And, yes, in our areas rail would be both BART and Amtrak.
Just go to and put in the address of the place you're interested in and you will see businesses pop up and score tabulated.
You can also google the address you're interested in and click on "get directions" and then write in the BART station. You will get the distance and most direct route.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Nov 27, 2012
Jackie Care answered:
You should check with your lender on all these questions. I'd suggest also speaking with your tax person/accountant on the second question, it may be a combination but probably depends.
In addition, Oakland has rent control and measure EE and a business tax and license required for
rental property. I don't know quite how renting out rooms is treated but I would highly recommend researching all these aspects so you go in with your eyes open and know where you stand legally!
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 26, 2012
Felix Stuckey answered:
Black Diamond Holdings
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 30, 2012
Ron Thomas answered:
You are looking at a Pandora's Box:
Foreclosed houses are sold at TRUSTEE SALES, which is also referred to as the Courthouse Steps. Usually, you can preview these houses with the help of a Realtor. They will be sold for CASH only! The will have gone through Foreclosure, so they should have all the LIENS taken care of; but not always, and you won't know until later.
The alternative is AUCTIONS which are handled by a private Auction company: These may let you arrange financing instead of CASH, but you probably won't be able to conduct Inspections, use any Contingencies, or protect yourself. These are the homes that they show on HGTV where the guys buy them, sight-unseen, and then open them up to find all the damage and problems inside.
And then there is the problem on the occupants; if the have a LEASE, then you cannot evict them until the lease is up.

You can do either, but both are real big Caviat Emptor!
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 9, 2012
Fred Shelton answered:
Visit As long as he can show stable income, they will be able to qualify him for a loan.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 25, 2016
Eric H. Wong answered:
Earthquake insurance can double the cost of your home insurance, and the deductible is huge. Before you take the plunge, I would have a reputable earthquake retro fitter take a look at your house and see if any more strengthening can be done to make your home more quake resistant.

Money spent here may be more useful than money spent on insurance. Once you have done this, plus stocked up on emergency food, water, first aid kit and batteries, then you can look at insurance.
... more
0 votes 16 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ...
Search Advice