Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in 94108 : Real Estate Advice

  • All4
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying1
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 96
Sat Sep 3, 2011
Uche Nchekwube answered:
Yes, you should be able to find one on your own as well, if do you need help feel free to contact me.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 19, 2011
Jeannette Daniel answered:
There are many options if you choose to self-search out there. My best advice to you is to make sure you have truly determined what you can afford. In addition, many landlords are now requiring additional financial documentation. An agent, like myself, can help you in your search based on your cirteria... but getting the fundamentals down first is a priority. Really determine what you can afford, pull together your rental history and phone contacts for reference checks, and then begin your search... it will result in you being able to identify a property that will truly work for you faster and the landlord will be grateful you have your ducks in a row. If you need any help I would be happy to help you. If you chose to self-search Craigslist & Trulia are great fist places to check. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jul 27, 2011
Marc Guzman, Real Estate Marketer answered:
I recommend to find a property management company in San Francisco. I own a property management company but I do not service San Francisco. Try Azari Property Management. Good luck.

... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri May 6, 2011
Nafiseh Lindberg answered:
Skyview way is a residential area and somewhat away from the city center. The prices are more affordable than the northern and central parts of the city. The weather can be foggy at times but it is also a greener area of the city. Generally quite desirable. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 23, 2010
Don Tepper answered:
It's usually cheapest to rent when a landlord has had a vacancy for a while. And since leases can (and do) begin and end at any time, there is no month that's best.

There are some exceptions, of course. It's a lot easier to rent or sell a lakefront property in Michigan in the spring than it is in winter. Or, if you're selling a home, families with kids will be looking in the spring and will often want to move during the summer when school is out. If it's apartments near a large university, most of the rental activity will occur during the summer. So if someone has a vacancy in, say, March, you probably can get a better deal.

But for an apartment lease, for an area like San Francisco, it doesn't much matter. There may be some minor cycles and a Realtor familiar with San Francisco may be able to tell you. But even then, I doubt you could pin it down to a specific month--saying that, for instance, August is better than July.

Hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Jan 27, 2010
Eric Michael Abrams - California Real Estate Broker answered:
Craigslist short-term rentals is by far the best manner. If you need any help, I'd be happy to assist free of charge.

It's really the best place to look, and if you're new to the city, again, I'd be happy to assist you.

Just visit for more info. In fact here is the exact link for the craigslist sublets and temporary housing.

There's also a section where you can list what you're looking for called "housing wanted."

Good luck and again, let me know if I can help in any way.

Eric M. Abrams
CA Real Estate Broker
C.A.R.# R01862927
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 2, 2009
Jeff Woo answered:
If your roommate is staying and you are paying until a roommate is found, that should not trigger a broker fee for early termination under your lease. There is no breach or termination of the lease.

If the broker is charging to find the new roommate, that is a separate agreement between you and the broker. You can use any means you like to find a new roommate however and are not required to use the original broker.

Jeff Woo, Esq.
Complex Rental Property Group
Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold LLP
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 24, 2012
Fred Griffin answered:
All Commissions and Fees are Negotiable.

And there are probably numerous Agents and Brokerages that can represent you.

That "percentage of total lease payments" - does that lease payment include property taxes, sales taxes, insurance, common area maintenance, and/or other expenses? You may not want to pay a percentage on the expenses, since you would then come up short to pay those bills.

Best wishes,
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 13, 2009
David Tapper answered:
Hi Robert, you can place an ad on Craig's list or hire an agent or property manager to help you. Usually the fee is between 5-7%.

If you only have one unit, I don't think you need a property manager, maybe just hire someone to help rent out your place who is going to check the tenants credit and background.

You might want to contact www.Faytherentalqueen. or She has helped a lot of my clients.


... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 26, 2010
Gregory Hayes Garver answered:
Good, don't move in =] Have you contacted the landlord... is she actually trying to hold you to the lease??
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri May 6, 2011
Lamont Stephen Duncan Jr. answered:
HI Maria,
Perhaps the reason you haven't gotten an answer to this question yet is because most of the Real Estate Pros on Truila primarily deal with residential sales and if I understand your question correctly, the nature of your question lies in the commercial real estate realm. I would suggest contacting a commercial real estate brokerage in San Francisco that may be able to answer this question.

You could convert a class b Office space into residential, however to my knowledge, residential spaces are generally not divided into classes, however Office Spaces are divided into classes based on the BOMA definitiion.

(BOMA) classifies office space into three categories: Class A, Class B, and Class C.[3] According to BOMA, Class A office buildings have the "most prestigious buildings competing for premier office users with rents above average for the area." BOMA states that Class A facilities have "high quality standard finishes, state of the art systems, exceptional accessibility and a definite market presence." BOMA describes Class B office buildings as those that compete "for a wide range of users with rents in the average range for the area." BOMA states that Class B buildings have "adequate systems" and finishes that "are fair to good for the area," but that the buildings do not compete with Class A buildings for the same prices. According to BOMA Class C buildings are aimed towards "tenants requiring functional space at rents below the average for the area

Anyway...hope you find the information you are looking for....


... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 9, 2009
Steven Ornellas answered:
Hi Brittany, you should refer to your lease contract for details regarding a cancellation. Typically, if you wish to terminate a lease you can sometimes find a replacement tenant that is approved by the Landlord. If you just walk you can be sued for the balance of the lease if the landlord can't find someone else.

You should talk with your landlord about your plans, who knows, maybe they already have someone who has called that is looking for a place.

Best, Steve
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 16, 2011
Derek Joyner answered:
I am in North Carolina. You would have to speak with an attorney for the answer to your question. I would tell you though I think it would be a good idea to talk to the tenants about this. If you want until the lease is over and than go over to the house and they are there and you act like well the lease is over you got to go today. They dont than yes they are probably in the wrong, but you would have hard time convincing a jury in that case why you did not notify them and than expect them to be gone in a day. Plus it would cost you money and time to go and get them out. You cant just kick them out anymore, especially with states that are pro tenant and not pro landlord. They will be able to live in the place until the courts go thru with there spill. They may just tear the place up and than when it goes to court they may walk in and say heres the keys were gone. It is better to talk to them and keep the courts and attorneys out of the issue. Remember there are only 2 people smiling in a court room. The offensive attorney and the defensive attorney. They are the only 2 making money. Everyone else wishes they were somewhere else. Hope this was helpful. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 23, 2010
Rebecca White answered:
Hey Fred,

ABSOLUTELY!!! Talk to an attorney BEFORE you do anything. I would be happy to recommend a few good landlord-tenant ones with whom you could consult.

0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 3, 2009
Tony Abad answered:
Not sure what you are asking. Charge for what? Ca you be more clear in your question, please. I think you will get more answers.

0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5
Search Advice