Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Selling in 94108 : Real Estate Advice

  • All4
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying1
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 157
Sat May 3, 2008
Jed Lane answered:
You posted the question twice. Delete this one so you can track the other.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed Apr 30, 2008
Mike Kelly Allison Norman answered:
I would call Andy Surkin's office in San Francisco and schedule an immedate appointment. He's an expert in Tenants in Common (TIC's) and you need help as all of this should have been addressed in the formation stages of the TIC. Here is his information off of his web site.
• email address is We welcome brief email inquiries, but do not provide legal advice via email. If you have legal questions, or would like to set up an appointment, please contact us by phone. DUE TO TIME CONSTRAINTS, WE ARE UNABLE TO REVIEW OR RESPOND TO EMAIL EXCEEDING FOUR LINES OF TEXT.
• Our telephone number is 415-738-8545
• Our address is:
Sirkin Paul Associates
250 Montgomery Street, Suite 1200
San Francisco, CA 94104
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Feb 13, 2010
Aaron answered:
Fri Apr 4, 2008
Hi answered:
Sun Mar 23, 2008
Erin Stumpf (Attardi) answered:
Not sure about how it works in SF, but our public Sacramento MLS is not real is behind the actual MLS by a day or two.
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 11, 2008
Jed Lane answered:
Getting up zoned from RH2 to RH3 will depend on many factors. The only way you can find out would be to either research with the planning department and look for information on posible changes that might be coming along. some of the changes being considered as we speak are the Market Octavia plan which could be the template for all density in the residential areas of the city.
There are major changes going on in the city right now with a new planning director and new head of DBI. Redevelopment and other things like the Eastern Neighborhoods rezoning won't affect you in Cow Hollow but the transit corridor planning might. It could be very possible that the best you could do is build a 2 unit building.
The process will be daunting to undertake on your own but start with building a knowledge of your neighborhhods specifics and talk to builders working in the area to find out what the process was for them. Aslo contact architects to get their experience.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Mar 13, 2008
Keith Sorem answered:
The areas that appeal to most buyers are Kitchen, baths, then overall appearance. I can email some specifics if you like. The bottom line is, I would upgrade, now, so you can enjoy it while you like there. The payoffs are a bonus when you sell.

Great planning!
This may help you.
Go to and type in home improvement
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 29, 2008
Gregory Hayes Garver answered:
Buyer pays Title Insurance and transfer tax:
Transfer tax(per $1000): Through $250,000 - $5.00
$250,001-$999,999 - S6.80
$1,000,000 or more - $7.50
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 18, 2008
CJ Brasiel answered:
R -

The answer is: pretty much like you negotiate anything. Since most agents work completely on commission , know exactly what you are getting from your reduced commission agent. How many open houses, how much do they advertise and where? etc. etc.

Also ask questions about the agent's experience, recent sales (year-to-date), and their brokerage support.
Here is a great link with some questions.

Good luck,
... more
0 votes 18 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 4, 2008
Scott Pierce answered:
Depends. You can contact us via our website and we'll let you know what we think. If selling is right for you, your property will never look so beautiful or be seen by more people than with us.

And we have a mortgage agent/cpa on our team who will crunch the numbers for you at no obligation or cost.
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Wed Feb 6, 2008
Pete Sabine answered:
A 1031 Tax-deferred exchange is a powerful way to build wealth through real estate.
You can sell investment property and transfer all the gain to another, larger investment property or several other properties and defer the capital gain taxes due on a straight sale.
If the property is held as investment property and is exchanged into property that is like that which was sold, this is called “like-kind”. Prior to the closing of the sale of the old relinquished property, the seller must enter into an exchange agreement with a qualified intermediary or accommodator.
The accommodator structures the exchange transaction to meet IRS code requirements.
Make sure the accommodator is an unrelated party, is not anyone close to you and is properly insured and bonded.
The three basic IRS exchange guidelines are:
1. The purchase price of the replacement property must be equal or greater than the sold property.
2. The debt on the replacement property cannot be less than the debt on the sold property
3. You must use the entire net sale proceeds from the sold property to acquire the replacement property.
There are strict time-frame requirements. You must identify the replacement property within 45 days of close of escrow of the relinquished property and you must close escrow no later than 180 days from the closing date of the relinquished property.
There are many other rules and details to consider in a tax- deferred exchange in addition to these basic rules.
Read the entire Chapter 9 of the book “Get the Best Deal When Selling Your Home” to find out how to qualify for a tax-deferred exchange.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 27, 2010
Marjet Wolbertus answered:
Hi David, It sounds like my own home. Location is very important, like always. In San Francisco you will get your money back if you spend it wisely. If you are interested, I can have a look and give you my personal opinion! ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 18, 2008
Pete Sabine answered:
If there is financing involved, I recommend that the buyer deliver an acceptable loan pre-approval letter to the seller at the time the offer is presented or within seven days of acceptance.
Make sure you have the right to cancel the sale and contract without liability in the event the buyer fails to qualify for the loan within a reasonable period of time- usually two or three weeks from acceptance.
Be cautious about offers that are contingent upon the sale and/or close of escrow of another property.
If the buyer’s property is already in escrow, demand to receive a copy of the purchase contract and escrow information prior to accepting their offer.
If the sale is not “seasoned” with contingencies satisfied, you are assuming a high risk position.
Even more risky are offers contingent upon your buyer finding a buyer for their property. You have no control or access to critical information for the sale of this property.
There are key contract clauses that can be incorporated into your contract to give you more control and the ability to cut loose your buyer if they can’t sell their home in a reasonable period of time.
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 7, 2015
Pete Sabine answered:
The adage “knowledge is power” certainly applies to buying or selling real estate.
I always recommend a pro-active approach in selling real estate by obtaining as much information about the condition of the property prior to offering the property for sale.
This information will empower the seller and their agent to form a marketing and pricing strategy based on the condition of the property.
Sometimes it’s better for both the seller and buyer to agree upon an “as-is” sale with a price or credit concession from the seller in lieu of repairs to the property.
The pre-sale inspection reports provide both parties with the information needed to draft a purchase contract that meets the mutual needs of each party and can greatly reduce the need to renegotiate the contract for unexpected repairs that are discovered during the escrow period.
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 25, 2007
Scott Pierce answered:
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 26, 2007
Liz Stevens answered:
Getting permits for a kitchen remodel is important because much of the rough work is hidden inside the walls (electrical, plumbing), and if the homeowner had an inspector come to the house for a different project, it is possible that the permit status of the kitchen would come up. If you sell a home with work done without permit, you must disclose it - that makes the permitting issue important. If you do small jobs in the kitchen (or anywhere else), not getting permits becomes less of an issue, but the entire remodel is important to have permitted. Only a sign off by the City building inspector counts as a sign off on permits. Remember the building code is also for "safety", and much as the bureaucracy of the city is a pain, it matters in the full disclosure to the potential owner/buyer, and is perceived as questionable, and perhaps of less value if not permitted. Liz Stevens, Windermere in Berkeley ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 23, 2007
Carrie Crowell answered:
It is very common for Realtors to have help with open houses. If I have 6 listings that are being held open on a specific Sunday, you know and I know that I cannot possibly be at all open houses at the same time. In order to do each house justice, it needs to have a single host for an open house. It is a very common practice. That in itself should not cause any undue alarm. I think that maybe communications could have been better to keep you informed that he would not do the open house personally and that he would have an agent he trusted and works with at your home. I don't think it should have a different broker's name.....not sure what to say about that. ... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Fri May 13, 2016
Kevin Boer answered:
Fair question to ask as a consumer, and very dangerous question for a real estate agent to answer, since public discussion of commissions between agents at competing brokerages -- whether online or offline -- is generally believed to be illegal. Your question here might be answered by another consumer, but not likely by an agent.

To get an answer from an agent, you'd have to reach out to one directly.
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 1, 2008
Charlie Mader answered:
Yep. You could be forced to abate (remove) the illegal kitchen. Inetestingly, if you have that illegal unit rented out, it is subject to rent control, even though it is not legal.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 13, 2008
Jed Lane answered:
Very interestng question. On the face of it I don't think it would adversly affect value. If you consider that there are BMR units in many developments and it doesn't affect market value on other units in the development.
I'll pose the question to the Mayor's Office of Housing to see if they have any data and will post that response upon receipt.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Search Advice