Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

91105 : Real Estate Advice

  • All6
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying2
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 127
Thu Mar 12, 2009
Andy answered:

Sorry to hear that.

Most of the professional persons here include me are real estate licensee only. That means legally we can not give you any legal advice in any particular case. What you ask is not a concept. You have to talk with family law attorney and maybe real estate attorney also. Make sure the attorney you talk is professional and experienced.

What real estate persons can do is telling you how much your property is and the chance how soon the properties are sold in the current market.

Good Luck

... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 23, 2009
M.D.J answered:
You can get an esimate from several lenders but what you really want are gaurantees on the rate, points & lender fees at the time of locking in your rate, if not then it's just that an...estimate.

Keep in mind that rates change everyday so what is the best deal with one lender today could end up being a better deal tomorrow somewhere else. Also remember that you will be dealing with your loan officer / lender for 30 days or more...That means service could be compromised when only basing your decision on price alone.

More info. on lending or estimates let me know and good luck to you
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Aug 27, 2009
Mission Viejo Real Estate by Valorie Stover answered:
That wouldn't be a reason to break a lease. The best thing you could do, is find some one that would qualify for the lease and ask the landlord, if they could take over the remaining 6 months.
You will be responsible for any time period that it is empty.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 21, 2009
Robert Spinosa answered:

Since I believe that every person seeking home financing is unique and has his/her individual preferences, I'm never convinced that one person (your agent's referral, for example) can be right for everyone. Human (and financial) relations don't really work that way.

My advice for finding a broker is to ask several of your peers who they have used in the past and if they had a GREAT experience with that person. If you have no first-hand referral options, then perhaps next would be a banking relationship that you already trust, like your credit union.

I think you're doing yourself a great service by using Trulia too. Maybe you don't realize it yet, but by opening up and asking for help you may just identify a number of qualified people who speak your language and are interested in earning your business. Once you have several options, you can then begin to confidently compare rates and costs, which should also be very important in your choice.

I am in home financing and am happy to help, so let me know if there's any way I can be of service as you do your research. Feel free to check out my references below and call or e-mail any time.

Best regards,

Rob Spinosa
Mortgage Master Inc.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Jun 30, 2009
Keith Sorem answered:
I think that you should contact Pasadena Police regarding the crime rate in that area. I would also suggest checking school scores at the local elementary schools.

Regarding the other aspects, I would suggest driving around the area. If you were my client I would give you the same advice. Talk with the neighbors in the block where the property sits and ask them questions. You'll be amazed at what they will tell you. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu May 26, 2016
Sue Eller answered:
Hi Jen,
I am a Realtor at Dilbeck in La Canada and I can say with certainty that a guest house that is built with permits is an added feature that would add value to your home. It most likely in this market would not be a dollar to dollar value, but I can say that many people find a guest house to be a great amenity and I have had several clients who desire this feature. Depending on the zoning of your neighborhood the guest house may or may not be able to be considered a legal rental, but in an era where many people are now desiring the extended family to live together, a guest house provides a great option. I hope this has been helpful. If you would like to talk further I would be happy to help!
Sue Eller Realtor Dilbeck GMAC (818) 668-4005
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 13, 2009
Shel-lee Davis answered:

What has your agent told you about this? They should have seen this many times and be able to explain what it means and calm your fears.

You see, this is standard wording on the Preliminary Title Report ("Prelim") Approval form that all buyers sign. You need to review the prelim with your real estate agent or an attorney and see if there are items on it that you do not understand or do not approve. Those that you do not understand, you should ask for further information to clarify them. These you do not approve should be listed in item 4. Other than that, this is saying that title will be transferred clear of delinquent tax liabilities, liens against the property created by Seller or Prior owner, and existing deeds of trust which you are not assuming. In other words, the proceeds from the sale of the property will pay for those items and you will take the property free and clear of all pre-closing liens and subject to your new loan and deed of trust. Of course, you will also be responsible for paying property taxes, assessments and bonds from the date you take title and forward.

Hope this helps bring some level of peace of mind. Remember, if you are concerned about any of the items in the Prelim, speak with an attorney about them. Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis
Real Estate Consultant
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 13, 2009
Michael Barron answered:
Hi there Michael . this is a very straight forward form and section. I would suggest your agent talk to his or her broker or go to CAR. website to download the form and explanations.
As a home buyer you need to fully understand every form that you are required to initial or sign for your protection.

Best of Luck
Kind Regards
Michael Barron
First Team Real Estate
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jan 13, 2009
Kevin Keyser answered:
Without seeing the actual contract we can only tell you that you likely do not have acceptance if the seller has not signed in paragraph #7. Escrow usually begins the day the fully executed purchase agreement is given to escrow... but it sounds like you do not have that yet. What does your agent say? If you don't have an agent representing you, then the question is: why? You need someone in your corner who can explain all of this to you. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Aug 13, 2012
Irina Netchaev answered:
Pasadena ended the year with $420 per sq. ft. based on 657 closed sales. On average, it took 96 days to market these homes. December stats for Pasadena show that 69 homes sold at an average of $373 per sq. ft. with the market time of 102 days.

I would take a look at your personal situation and how quickly you need to sell your home. December was a hard month for real estate sales given the holidays. Give it a couple of weeks and see what kind of activity you are getting.

If you are getting a lot of viewings, but not offers, the first place I'd look is at how the home shows to the buyer. If the price was high, you wouldn't be getting many viewings and your home would be ignored.

My recommendation would be to get a staging consultation before reducing the price of the home. Implement the suggestions of the stager and see how quickly your home sells.

Oh... and make sure that your Realtor takes new photos. :-)

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 26, 2008
Gary Gukassian answered:
HI Lotus,

I was not able to find a listing for this property. It appears it is still in the pre foreclosure stage, however close to a possible auction date.

There are other properties available in that are with 4 beds and 2 bathrooms. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.


Gary Gukassian
Beverly Realty
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 24, 2008
Jeff and Cheryl Fox answered:
Hi Rick,
You can go toTrulia Stats & Trends and figure out how much the property values have declined in your area or visit sites such as for sales statistics if you want to do it yourself. I haven't done it myself but I understand you can go to the County Assesors Office website and that they will help you as well. Or, you can contact a real estate agent in your area and ask for help. Zillow is pretty good to get recent sales and you will just have to see what compares to your house. If you would like you can email me at and I will email some comps for you. ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 15, 2008
Irina Netchaev answered:
Eunice, what a sad situation. There's really no way to tell whether or not your agent did her job. Bottom line is that you didn't get the house that you wanted.

If the home just went into escrow, you might want to put a back up offer. It is very difficult for buyers to qualify for a loan and the buyers still need to release contingencies prior to solidifying the deal.

You might still have a chance.

I am so sorry that you had such a frustrating experience.

I wish you the best of luck in your home purchase!
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Sat Nov 15, 2008
Irina Netchaev answered:
Hi Eunice,

You have been doing your homework!

To address your questions:

1. There are a lot of excellent real estate agents working in Pasadena. You can do a couple of things. First, ask your friends and family for a recommendation - if they had a great experience with an agent most likely, you will too. Also, use the power of internet to learn more about the agent, or just google pasadena real estate agents, see who comes up and explore their sites. Also, interview your potential agent candidates to ask them about their experience, how they work with consumers, what their specialty is - residential, income, first time buyer, etc. See who you feel more comfortable with.
2. The best way to get a loan is to go through a referral from the agent that you pick. Real estate agents have established relationships with credible and reliable lenders and mortgage brokers. For example, I have a list of several lenders/mortgage brokers that have consistently provided great rates and service to my customers. Most importantly, there were no surprises or last minute changes. That's critical, especially, in today's real estate market.
3. As a buyer, you are in a great position. The seller will pay commissions for you. As far as rebates are concerned, you might be able to find an agent that will give part of their commission back, but if they're willing to give you a portion of their salary, I'm not sure that they would be the ones to negotiate on your behalf. An experienced, full service real estate agent, will not consider that.

Hope this answered your questions. I am putting a link to my website below and it has a lot more information and articles about buying a home in Pasadena and surrounding cities like Sierra Madre and Monrovia. Also there are posts about how to find a great agent.

Good luck,
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 14, 2008
Dallas Texas answered:
IF you can't qualify for entire loan amount however if you dont follow terms and conditions of seller carry back they could foreclose on the property. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 22, 2008
Sylvia Barry, MAS,CIPS,SRES answered:
This is the reason why you should be very familiar with the market you are in, the trend it is going, and understand how much you are willing to pay for a house before you make an offer on a house.

Without knowing the detail of the contract and the process you have been through, this is a difficult question to answer.

This all depend on It will depend on what stage of offer you are in. If you have removed all contingencies, then you are in pretty deep water, you might not be able to get out without losing your good faith deposit.

However, if you are still in the inspection contingency removal and/or loan contingency removal period, you should be able to get out of the contract without losing your deposit - the house will not be able to appraise to the amount it was listed (or offered). and then you will probably not be able to remove the contingencies.

Check with your Realtor and find out about your options. You have to read all the details on the contract and then go from there.

Sylvia Barry
Marin Realtor
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 10, 2008
John Hickey answered:
Hi Mia,

There is a wide range of homes in that immediate area. I've included a link which you can use to view homes that are available right now plus other homes in escrow as well as some recent sales:

Unfortunately, the link is to long to fit into the "Web Reference" here in Trulia.

Anyway, the answer is yes. Let me know via email if you can't use the link and I'll email you one.

Best regards,

John Hickey
Dilbeck Realtors, GMAC

You can copy and paste the above link into your browser or use the one below.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Aug 13, 2008
Maggie, your REALTOR® answered:
Your best bet is to call the local police precinct (station) and they have the crime stats per grid area. The police is your best source of information regarding any stats for crime in a given locale. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 24, 2008
Bev and Alex Gingrich answered:
Hi Jackie,

I would say that 11,000 square feet of vacant land in that area would be worth about $500,000. That number could be higher or lower depending on a number of factors (the specific street, how flat the property is, ect.).

If you would like a market analysis of this property or if you would like to contact me, please fee free to visit my website at .
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Kevin Keyser answered:
Hi Julie,
You can list it in the MLS... usually it is listed as a half bath if you are just talking about a toilet and a sink. It is important to make sure you disclose to a buyer that there are not permits if that is the case. You can petition the assessor's office to make a change to your property profile that reflects the half bath as well... we did this with a home recently. You can also try to get a permit retroactively if the work was done up to code. Let us know if you have any questions! ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
2 3 4 5 6 7
Search Advice