Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

90405 : Real Estate Advice

  • All18
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying3
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 141
Thu May 19, 2011
Alyssa1879 asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sun May 15, 2011
David Cooper answered:
Santa Monica is as expensive as Newport Beach. You can do a quick drive by on Sunday open houses and verify for yourself how expensive it is. Your rental numbers seem realistic

David Cooper ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 28, 2011
BG answered:
rule of thumb - you are standing at the door looking out to the West direction, that is a WEST facing door.

- prefer order : South, North, East and then West.
- major No No: T-corner , and front door facing the street directly.
- straight shot from front door to back door etc...
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 1, 2013
Dp2 answered:
Tue Mar 8, 2011
John Juarez answered:
And what is it that you are asking about "short sale"?
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Thu May 5, 2011
Monique and Joe Carrabba answered:
Hello Lara,

I am happy to help. Just let me know what your price range is and I'll send you some options.


Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller Williams Hollywood Hills
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 25, 2011
Heather Paul answered:
Yes, there are a few of them. Which area are you looking to live in Santa Monica?

Heather Paul, Realtor
"Your Local Real Estate Expert"
Coldwell Banker Santa Monica
424-625-1037 ... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 13, 2011
Kathleen Becker answered:
If you opened escrow, escrow will have a copy and will send you it or part of it to sign and certify. The contract becomes your escrow instructions. You can get it from your escrow officer. If your agent still does not comply and give you a copy after your request, you can always contact your Agent's broker of record and request one through them. Good luck! ... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 12, 2011
Kris Kanan answered:
If you are looking for a cool spot, I would check out this site:
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 26, 2010
Germain asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 14, 2011
Tara M Moore answered:
Hi Umlia,

This is a great question. There are a few things to look at. Is the company they used reputable? What does your gut say about the whole thing? and what does your Realtor advise? Also how extensive was the damage/ work. I once sold my home in Eagle Rock and I had done a termite inspection and had to work done, it was advised by my agent and when we acquired a buyer, we had the report and work done. That particular buyer was on a budget and chose to trust the report and the work and I'll say, there was little damage and the work that was done was done well. So this is really a call that you need to make along with the advise of your agent. If you feel you need to do another inspection, then do it, and if you feel you're comfortable with what had been done, then accept that. It is always your job as the buyer to do your due diligence and your agents job to provide the facts and allow for you to make an educated decision.
Good luck Umlia and enjoy your new home once you close!!
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Sun Jan 16, 2011
Elizabeth Salinas Kelley answered:
Your listing agreement and/or disclosures should address this. Your commission will be according to your full commission agreement, unless you had a different agreement at the time of the listing with a different commission if you represented both buyer and seller. If you have a manager or a mentor, check with them.
Good luck,
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 31, 2011
Kris Kanan answered:

I believe you simply need to provide proof of income in the same field for 2 years, not necessarily with the same employer. If you would like to find out for sure, I can refer you to one of the guys at our affiliate mortgage company. He's great and can give you an answer in as little as 20 minutes. If you are interested in that info, please email me at



REALTOR® - DRE#01875837
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
2444 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 102, Santa Monica, CA 90403
d: 310.586.0374 | c: 310.883.4240
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Fri Aug 20, 2010
Mack McCoy answered:

Your HOA is not responsible for your mortgage and HOA dues while your unit is unlivable. In all probability, the HOA insurance will only cover repairs to your unit. However, some homeowner's policies will provide a housing benefit if your unit is uninhabitable - this doesn't mean that they'll pay your mortgage, HOA dues, and taxes.

It may be worthwhile to consult an attorney concerning both yours and your HOAs insurance coverage; sometimes - I know it's hard to believe - insurance companies sometimes don't fulfill their obligations without prodding.

Best wishes,
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 6, 2011
Jodi Summers answered:
Mon Sep 24, 2012
Andrew Jones answered:
Hi Suzie,

As a home buyer there are good long-term investments for appreciation, but L.A. (& Santa Monica) don't have a lot of great opportunities for pure investors. Income properties that even come close to breaking even are pretty much unheard of from the Beach Cities and Westside to Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and even Silverlake & Echo Park. I wrote a blog recently about the best investment opportunities in Los Angeles that talks about the most profitable areas for rentals and multi-unit properties. Here is the Link:

On the other hand, if your talking about getting the best deal on a property to live in that will go up in value over the long term, or even better a multi-unit to live in and drastically reduce your out of pocket costs then there are definitely some opportunities worth discussing in Santa Monica (as well as Venice & Marina del Rey where the rental ordinances are a lot less severe.)

The link to my website below lists all of the homes and condos for sale in Santa Monica and all of the other Beach Cities from Malibu to Palos Verdes. Please feel free to contact me through my profile if you'd like to discuss the options available or would like to recive the current listings for income properties in these areas. Best of Luck.
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Fri Jul 30, 2010
Joseph Montemarano answered:
If you indeed can't get a loan then your best option is to find a seller willing to do seller financing.
That said, if you find a really good mortgage broker, then he or she should be able to find you financing.
I like John Ciolino at First Capital: (310) 656-8201. He's a miracle worker.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Fri Jul 16, 2010
Tracey Hennessey answered:
I have a nice 2 bedroom 1.75 bath on Princeton call me @ 310-779-6375 to see it. Or check it out on my website at You can email me at and I will send pictures. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Jun 23, 2010
Kim & Kristine Halverson asked:
It would be great to know what is really important to clients. We want to give clients exactly what they want and then some. We want to make working with us an experience to remember....
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 3, 2010
Don Dorsey answered:
Locally in here in Southern California, we traditional use Licensed and Bonded Escrow companies. My suggestion would be to contact a local escrow company and find out what they charge for private escrows (buyer and seller costs).

When inquiring, be sure to remember to get a quote for title insurance (ALTA policy and if obtaining a loan, Buyers policy) and misc fees for the required hazard disclosures, mandatory retrofit costs and transfer fees for your municipality.

As a licensed Real Estate Broker, I would not suggest on doing any transaction without using a Real Estate professional. I have seen too many horror stories with For Sale By Owners in my 25+ years of doing business here in the Los Angeles market.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Search Advice