Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

90280 : Real Estate Advice

  • All18
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying10
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 15
Tue Dec 23, 2014
Fred Yancy answered:
Why You Should Work With a Real Estate Agent

Here are reasons why it pays to work with a real estate agent...

You’ll have an expert to guide you through the process. Buying or selling a home usually requires disclosure forms, inspection reports, mortgage documents, insurance policies, deeds, and multi-page settlement statements. A knowledgeable expert will help you prepare the best deal, and avoid delays or costly mistakes.

Get objective information and opinions. Real estate agents can provide local community information on utilities, zoning, schools, and more. They’ll also be able to provide objective information about each property. A professional will be able to help you answer these two important questions: Will the property provide the environment I want for a home or investment? Second, will the property have resale value when I am ready to sell?

Find the best property out there. Sometimes the property you are seeking is available but not actively advertised in the market, and it will take some investigation by your agent to find all available properties.

Benefit from their negotiating experience. There are many negotiating factors, including but not limited to price, financing, terms, date of possession, and inclusion or exclusion of repairs, furnishings, or equipment. In addition, the purchase agreement should provide a period of time for you to complete appropriate inspections and investigations of the property before you are bound to complete the purchase. Your agent can advise you as to which investigations and inspections are recommended or required.

Real estate has its own language. If you don’t know a CMA from a PUD, you can understand why it’s important to work with a professional who is immersed in the industry and knows the real estate language.

Real estate agents have done it before. Most people buy and sell only a few homes in a lifetime, usually with quite a few years in between each purchase. And even if you’ve done it before, laws and regulations change. Real estate agents, on the other hand, handle hundreds of real estate transactions over the course of their career. Having an expert on your side is critical.

Renting is emotional. A home often symbolizes family, rest, and security — it’s not just four walls and a roof. Because of this, home buying and selling can be an emotional undertaking. And for most people, a home is the biggest decision they’ll ever make. Having a concerned, but objective, third party helps you stay focused on both the emotional and financial issues most important to you.

Fred Yancy, Broker
Crye-Leike Realtors
(678) 799-4663
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 22, 2014
Joshua Rabinovitz answered:
Sounds strange. I would contact your landlord and tell him about it and ask what is going on. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Best, Joshua Rabinovitz.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 24, 2010
Brian Rayl answered:
I assume you are talking about a foreclosure since you are buying from a bank? If that is the case, all you need to do is go straight to the bank to make the offer. You can find out which bank owns the home through your area Appraisal District website and then contact the appropriate department there at the bank. If you are unsure of how to go about this process, find a REALTOR® in your area that specializes in foreclosures or short sales, as they typically know how to get a hold of these banks and know who to talk to. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Mar 20, 2010
John & Sarena Villaescusa answered:
Hi Mr. Lopez,

To answer your question briefly, Trulia pulls this information from the MLS and most agent are unaware that this is happening and Trulia also pulls the same public information. The email/ phone numbers may be incorrect or they use different ones. I work in the South Gate area and if you need help finding a home I can definently help you out. You can reach me at 562-818-2671 or email at

John & Sarena Villaescusa
Keller Williams Realty
Cell: 562-818-2671
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 22, 2009
Rebecca Chambliss answered:
Mon Jun 1, 2009
Dyanna answered:
The down payment seems good, your credit score has to be at least 620 and yes, you might be able to negotiate the price especially if the property has been on the market for some time.

... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 1, 2009
Dana Schuster answered:
In order to purchase one of the minimum requirements is a 2 year work history. You would also need at least 3.5% down for an FHA loan a credti score of 620 and an acceptable debt to income ratio. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 23, 2009
Dallas Texas answered:
You need to contact a mortgage broker who can review your entire file and discuss your options with you. Many families who want purchase a home take on part time jobs assist in savings towards a down payment many lenders require 3.5% or more based on many concerns of person financial records.


~ National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Lecturer regarding Credit Repair, Mortgage Loan Officer
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 3, 2015
Jerri Furniss answered:
The terms of the contract should indicate how long your offer is "open." If the seller does not respond in that time period, you can consider the offer null and void. Are you being represented by a Realtor? If not, I highly recommend you find someone to represent you and then re-submit the offer if the time period I mentioned above has passed. As a Buyer, having your own representation costs you nothing.

VA Loans should not necessarily cause a Seller any issues as long as you have your pre-approval up front.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 19, 2009
Dave Heck answered:
You might try for starters. Let me know if you come up with anything.
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 3, 2008
Keith Sorem answered:
Thanks for your question. The agreement that you sign as a buyer is a Buyer Broker Representation Agreement. The agreement allows the Realtor to represent you as your agent in the purchase of a property.

The Realtor's job is to find the property and negotiate the best price and terms for you. In most cases the property that you buy will NOT be listed by the Realtor's broker, but by another broker. If you want your Realtor to represent you at an auction, then I recommend discussing that with the Realtor during your preliminary consultation.

Best of luck!
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Sep 16, 2008
Keith Sorem answered:
You need to talk with a couple of people.
First, a Realtor in your area would be helpful. I can recommend one.
Second, a title company (The Realtor can refer you to one).
It's called an non-arm's link transfer, and within certain guidelines you can transfer property.
You might also want to talk with a probate attorney.

Normally a "full value transfer" occurs when a property is sold, or when the title is transferred, at "retail" value. If someone gives a property (sometimes referred to as "quitclaiming") you can transfer without have it being a "full value". However, there are some legal and title issues that can arise so looking ahead to the time when the property IS sold at full value, in the future, you need to do some planning NOW.
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Sun Sep 14, 2008
Shel-lee Davis answered:

To help you navigate through the home buying process, it would really be helpful for you to work with a Realtor who has experience working with 1st Time Homebuyers (FTHB). This is because all FTHB programs have income and home purchase price limitations, may require that you work with a specific lender to be able to get into the program, and in the long run, may or may not be helpful to you.

For example, the City of South Gate has a FTHB program for low income individuals. There is not a lot of information on their web-site, however, I have provided you with the link to the appropriate page below. If you qualify, they will provide you with a "silent second" with $0 payment to help reduce your payment through what they call "gap financing". This sounds wonderful when you first hear about it, and for some people it is. To be eligible, your income has to be very low, you have to have $10,000 or 5% down payment and $3-5K for closing costs. Also, when you sell your home, you not only pay off the loan, you also have to pay them a portion of your equity. If you plan to stay in the home for a very long time, then this program might be worth looking into. If you plan to move in 3 - 5 years, you might want to look at other programs that do not have an equity participation requirement.

There are also county, state and federal programs to help the FTHB. To put together the best plan for you, work with a Realtor and lender who both know the programs available in your area. If you would like some help putting together your "Dream Team" to make your dream of becoming a FTHB a reality, please feel free to contact me. And Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis
Real Estate Consultant
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 11, 2008
Cameron Piper answered:
Need and should are two different things.

You need good credit, a bit of cash, and a decent income to buy a house.

First you shouldn't even consider buying a house if you are in debt (that means anything - car, student loans, credit cards, etc.). Once you are out of debt, you should strive to put 20% down on a 15 Year mortgage where the payment is no more than 25% of your take home pay each month. This will keep you from being one of the many foreclosures that we are reading about.

Before other agents hop in and tell me that I am wrong, and that Ribby can put down less and should get a 30 year because it would be cheaper - that is your opinion and I have given mine. The advice I give is from a nationally recognized financial advisor ( and speaks more to the financial health of the buyer than simply just buying a house. I think we can all agree that the current market condition is a result of people who shouldn't have been buying houses - buying them. Even if we did benefit from the sales.

Cameron Piper
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu Sep 24, 2009
Shel-lee Davis answered:

The City of South Gate does offer a First Time Homebuyer program, however, you must meet their low income requirements and have a minimum of $10,000 towards down payment and closing costs.

Where you will find more assistance is from the county, state and federal programs that are available to you. Without specifics about your situation, it is difficult to fit you to the proper programs. I specialize in helping 1st Time Homebuyers and am a Board Certified Down Payment Assistance Specialist. I would be happy to discuss your options with you. You can contact me through my profile.

Remember, now is a great time for 1st Time Homebuyers. Inventories are high (lots of selection), prices are low (lots of bank owned properties) and mortgage rates are still at 30 year lows. So now is the time to find the right home, negotiate the right price and take advantage of ALL the assistance you can get to become a homeowner, and Dare to Dream.

Shel-lee Davis
Real Estate Consultant
RE/MAX Palos Verdes Realty
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Search Advice