Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in 90008 : Real Estate Advice

  • All43
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying23
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions3

Activity 37
Tue Apr 16, 2013
jbush9 asked:
Thu Mar 28, 2013
carlos parrague answered:
Too many variables.
Have you checked with the City? Is it allowed? Will you have to do additional site work to add parking?
Will it require sprinklers?
What material for outside walls? Masonry, steel stud and stucco, other?
What type of roof?
Are you including any light and/or power in your definition of shell?
How about a bathroom or just extension of plumbing?
Is the addition to the front, side or rear of the building?
The entire building will probably have to be brought up to code, do you also include that in the price?
Give me a call, I can work design/build with you to minimize your cost.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Apr 16, 2013
Katherine Johnson answered:
If it is chipping and peeling NO.It will need to be removed otherwise flat walls yes.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Anthony Perez answered:
As a 23 year licensed contractor you are looking at 'about' 5 thousand for plans, 6-7 thousand for plan check and permits and 'about' $120.00 psf. construction medium grade set finish.

However it may be extra if the existing footings/foundation require enhancing to support the extra load. I have good designers, etc. Tony 818 445-6918.
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 30, 2012
Ron Thomas answered:
Depends on the House, the neighborhood, etc.
You do not want to IMPROVE the house beyond the neighborhood; having a palace among shacks will not do.

The most important factor right now, is that most buyers do not have excess cash once they Close on thier house; they are looking for a turn-key that matches their taste.
The common thins are hardwood floors, remodeled kitchen with Stainless and Granite, Crown mouldings with Neutral walls and updated baths.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 9, 2013
Sang and Sonya Chun answered:
Best place to check is Building and Safety. They have offices in West LA, Van Nuys and Downtown Los Angeles.
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 17, 2012
carlos parrague answered:
Yes, however, you may have a hard time getting financing and getting insurance until all repairs have been completed by a qualified professional. Obviously, you can buy all cash and insure and mortgage after repairs are done. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 6, 2012
Brenda Feria answered:
You want to make sure that they are direct endorsers. If not, closing may take a much longer time.
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat Sep 10, 2011
John Arendsen answered:
You will need the proper licensing and liability insurance and some real good references.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Anthony Perez answered:
Put in the company name on Google or BBB possibly some ratings, Cabinet City in San Gabrial have a high quality 'solid' wood assortment of cabinets affordable priced...nice stuff! ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 6, 2011
Anthony Perez answered:
Wed Jan 14, 2015
Deborah Bremner answered:
I doubt that the inspector would have access to records of costs/ expenditures on a job site.
Deborah Bremner
The Bremner Group at Coldwell Banker
REALTOR, 00588885, ABR, CDPE, eAgent, CSP, SFR, HRC, CRE
(O) 310-571-1364 DIRECT
(D) 818.564.6591
(C) 310-422-4288
Accredited Buyer Representative|Certified Distressed Property Expert |Pre-Foreclosure Specialist Certified
I want you to know that I appreciate any referrals from friends and associates who may be in the market to buy or sell real estate. You can count on me giving them the same high-quality service I provide to all of my clients.
... more
0 votes 13 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 15, 2010
Anthony Perez answered:
ICC building Code is 72 inches minimum from the bottom of the shower pan whatever you want to do after that is your choice.

I like tile on the ceiling because of steam (water vapor) passes through gypsum board (drywall) causing mold. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 8, 2010
Ryan Smith answered:
Hi Brianwils,

Every project is unique and will require different permits, materials, and labor costs. I would get some free estimates from licensed contractors.

good luck

Chris Blasic
Realty World & Associates
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 5, 2014
David Chiles answered:
Thank you for your question about a contractor referral. I recommend using the website Angie's list. I know there is a small fee for its use but the information you gain is invaluable.

Angie's list is a website that has feedback and ratings for general contractor's and anyone else who may do work on your home.

The recommendations are good and most people I know in construction agree.
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Jul 25, 2010
Deborah Bremner answered:
First of all, Carmen, I am not a plumber, so I can't comment on whether this is a problem. I take your word for this.

If it's really a problem, then yes, an inspector should have commented on it and alerted you to its risks.

I would first contact my Realtor, and develop a plan of approaching the problem.
This would include:
1. Contacting the original inspector and having them come out to the property to view the problem.
2. Contacting the previous owner to see if they were in any way aware of this issue. (this will probably need to be done through the original listing agent)
3. Talking to the company who did the plumbing work, assuming they are still in business. (This information will need to be obtained from the previous owner)

From that point, you can find out who will assist you in resolving the problem, with as little impact on your life, and wallet, as possible.
Deborah Bremner
REALTOR, 00588885
(D) 818.564.6591
Blogging at:
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 14, 2012
Richard Schulman answered:
Sure, contact Vahik Tatoosi at (818) 585-1988 or He's great! Tell him I sent you, he'll take good of you. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me.

Richard Schulman
Keller WIlliams Realty
#1 Agent KW Westside Realty
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 16, 2014
Joe Arnao answered:
The easy answer is to reside the entire house. Then you know there would be no questions arising, cost not being an issue. Talk to a local builder about the wood composite. We don't use that out here so can't comment. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 3, 2010
Monique and Joe Carrabba answered:
Hello Squid,

I had the same dilemma. I recently added insulation to my attic after the ductwork. It was a blown in insulation. The issue depends on what insulation you are using. A bat insulation seems like it would be better before you put in the duct work. I had my blown insulation put in after the ducts because it would seem to me that someone crawling and putting in the ducts would make a mess of the blown insulation. Check with your contractors. Just my two cents! Kudos to you for adding insulation to your home!


Monique Carrabba
The Carrabba Group
Keller Wiliams Hollywood Hills
(323) 899-2900
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Mar 31, 2015
Mack McCoy answered:
How much do you want to use the pool over the next five years?

Some things in a home aren't exactly investments, they're consumables. A kitchen remodel today does increase the value of the home (not by as much as it cost, usually), but in time, that "new kitchen" glow fades and we're back to having a somewhat dated kitchen.

If you want to use the pool, will you get $5000 a year's worth of enjoyment from the renovation and hardscape? Suppose you got $3000, and the improvements only helped the property gain $10K in value (today). And, how will the improvements look in five years?

I think this is a personal and emotional decision, not a spreadsheet and "rational" one.

All the best,
... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice