Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

89701 : Real Estate Advice

  • All5
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying3
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 17
Thu Mar 28, 2013
Melissa Goss answered:
The best way to find out the availability is to call a real estate agent. They will know if it is available or not, and you will save yourself a TON of time
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 14, 2013
Alex Zujovich answered:
Hi Linda,

I checked this property out to find that it is not on the market, that is, it's listing has expired or was withdrawn. So setting up a showing would take a little time. If you would like to see it I would need a little more information from you.

Call me at 775 315-283 to get started!

... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 10, 2015
Kit Weaver answered:
Low cost homes in large subdivisions sell for $100-120 per sq. ft, homes in upscale subdivisions sell for $150-160 per sq. ft and high quality homes with city views and forested lots sell for $180-200 per sq. ft. ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Nov 20, 2012
Lisa Wetzel and Jim Valentine answered:
Yikes ...that is a loaded question! Price Point? Neighborhood? Are we putting a modular on a lot or building a $500,000 custom?

Lisa Wetzel
RE/MAX Realty Affiliates
1320 Hwy 395
Gardnerville, NV 89410
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 18, 2012
Ron Thomas answered:
The Bank Foreclosing, the County is scheduling the Trustee Sale:
The Couty will be responsible for posting the NOTICE on your door and showing the notice in the local newspaper. They are required by the Court to give reasonable notice. I think that Newspaper Ad has to run for 14-30 days, (varies, from State to State).

Good luck and may God bless
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 14, 2012
Ron Rovtar answered:
Hi Sandrats:

Sorry you are in this situation! The economy is still healing, but we are not back to normal yet. Before you do anything, I would suggest you talk to a local HUD-approved counseling service. This is a free service so don't go to anyone who asks for some of that $32! You need that for other things. You can find the closest service at the link below.

Good Luck!

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 9, 2012
Rich Barbara answered:
The current monthly lot space rent at Carson Highlands is $435.00 plus water & sewer is billed by the park each month. It is a friendly, family park with nice mountain views and is just minutes from downtown Carson City. Please let us know if you have more questions.....Barbara & Rich ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Scott Godzyk answered:
James you should first meet with a locl and trusted loan officer who completes VA loans. They can look at all of your financials and credit report to see what is keeping your scrore down and how you can improve it. Without doing that step anyone is guessing. Good luck with working things out ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 31, 2013
Kathy Dean answered:
I believe it's mainly because of the weather, we only have a few months during the summer to enjoy having a pool.
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Jan 28, 2012
Shirley Larkins answered:
Hello! This varies by neighborhood and managament company, as well as amenities. Is there a particular address you are asking about?

Shirley Larkins, Realtor
Chase International
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 13, 2013
Shirley Larkins answered:
I believe you will have to wait the full 7 year period however this is a great question for a lender. I recommend calling Shayla Gifford at Guild Mortgage 775-200-0155. She is a knowledge powerhouse and will definitely be able to give you the answers you need. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 6, 2011
Phil Rotondo answered:
As a member of the military you should check out your benefits at USAA. They also provide VA Financing.
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 30, 2010
Lisa Wetzel and Jim Valentine answered:
The only solution for you is to look into a Short Sale if you want to get out of your present location by selling.
Have you tried to modify your loan? You might qualify for a HAFA Pre-Approved Short Sale which would be the best path, least impactive on your credit report among other things.

This topic is complex and doesn't have an easy answer because so much is determined by your personal situation. Questions need to be addressed like ... Do you have cash reserves? Do you have equity in other properties or assets like stocks? Lenders may forgive a portion of the debt if you have no other means to repay them, they may not if you do.

If you simply want a different residence have you considered renting your present home and moving into another home ... either renting or possibly buying a different house. With the rental income you receive from your present home you may be able to qualify to buy a second home. That may enable you to take advantage of the low prices today and allow time for the market to heal and restore some or all of the value to your condo.

As you can see the answer to your question has many facets, I suggest you need a "face to face” appointment to explore your options and formulate a plan for you to move forward. We’d be happy to meet with you for a consultation. Regardless, make sure that any agent you chose has the experience and training to give you sound advice! You have a lot to consider here!
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 20, 2012
Pelin Guzel answered:
Hi Sandra,
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the area but here is some useful websites for crime rates
Remember working with a Realtor always helpful if you are not familiar with the area.
Hope it helps.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 14, 2009
Alan May answered:
This is a question better answered by an attorney, and I am not one. So please don't consider this "legal advice".

It appears to me, that unless the trailer and pickup truck were part of the loan, the only collateral the bank has to repossess, is the collateral they signed on for... the house.

the trailer and pickup "should" be safe... but please check with a real estate attorney to be sure.
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 7, 2011
Don Tepper answered:
See an accountant for the ramifications of exchanging.

I've seen a number of questions on exchanging but, frankly, haven't heard any success stories. And, really, that's not surprising. Consider: You have two homes in San Diego. First, how many people in San Diego would be interested in buying one of those homes? Each has their own criteria about number of bedrooms, number of bathrooms, maybe school district, maybe house style, and so on. Each also has a price figure in mind. If you home were priced properly and heavily marketed in San Diego, how long would it take to find one qualified purchaser who wanted your home? 60 days? 90 days? 120 days?

But now, consider: You're not trying to find a buyer in San Diego for your home. You're trying to find a buyer in Carson City, Nevada. Someone who has the same criteria regarding bedrooms, bathrooms, location, and price. I'll bet there aren't too many in Carson City. And if it would take you, let's say, 60 days of good marketing in San Diego to find someone interested in your San Diego property, how long will it take to find someone in Carson City?

Meanwhile, you need to find a suitable home in Carson City. I'm sure you've got some criteria, too, regarding number of bedrooms, number of baths, general location, and so on. So even if you found someone in Carson City interested in your San Diego property, you might well not be interested in their Carson City property.

But let's say you beat the odds and you find an acceptable home in Carson City, and those folks consider your home in San Diego acceptable. You're talking about an exchange. Fair enough. But what happens if there's a substantial difference in equity? For instance, your home in San Diego is worth $600,000, with $400,000 in equity. The home in Carson City is worth $600,000, with $100,000 in equity. If you exchange homes, you'll immediately lose $300,000 in equity. Ouch!

Meanwhile--and recognize I'm not a lawyer or an accountant--if the two of you simply exchange the properties (you deed your property to the Carson City folks, and they deed their property to you), if the mortgages remain in place both of you have just violated the lenders' due on sale clauses.

In brief, the likelihood of achieving a successful exchange seems pretty remote.

Look: If you aren't in a position to sell your San Diego properties, then you can't. But recognize that renting a home is not "wasting our money." You need a place to live. And rent provides that.

If you want to buy a property (or assume an interest in a property) in Carson City, there are plenty of ways to do that. You can lease-option a property. Or do a contract for deed. Or there's a nice technique using land trusts. Or acquire a property "subject to" (subject to the existing financing). None of these require new loans up front. At some point in the future you'd refinance/finance the property. But in the meantime you'd control the property and be building up equity.

Hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 2, 2009
Karen Wenzel, e-PRO answered:
The answer is... it depends. Since every person's situation is unique, it is very important that you and your sisters sit down with a Realtor that can give you a current evaluation of the market in your area. You have to weigh all the pros and cons. Decide whether you are ready to be a landlord, and can deal with eventual repairs.
Don't make a hasty decision one way or another. Make sure you gather all the facts so you can proceed, in whatever direction you choose- fully knowledgeable of the situation.

You may also want to talk to a Tax advisor to determine what your tax liability may be if you sell now vs. later.

All the Best to You and your family!
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Search Advice