Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in 87114 : Real Estate Advice

  • All28
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying8
  • Home Selling8
  • Market Conditions2

Activity 4
Wed Jun 13, 2012
Leigh-Jo Anzures answered:
Hi Cynthia,

You can try web sites such as:

Be careful when using web sites such as craigslist. There can be scams on that web site. Be sure to check out all potential owners/landlords.

Best Regards,

Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Mar 6, 2012
Leigh-Jo Anzures answered:
IMPORTANT - Be sure to verify that the person leasing the property is the actual owner or is authorized to lease it.

If you haven't already heard, there are scams occurring by people who gain access to distressed properties. They take deposits and the monthly lease payments, then when the actual owner discovers what is going on, the scammed tenant has to move out, losing all the money they put up for the property.

Now, with that said. It's recommended that you have a real estate attorney review the terms of the lease. Be sure you completely understand the agreement because, you will be subject to these terms through the duration of the agreement.

Going back to my initial comment, if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

Syan Real Estate
Call/Text: (505) 730-8181
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon Jan 2, 2012
Bill Eckler answered:

This is so unfair....why should a "dead beat" tenant be able to get away with this type of behavior. There are really only two approaches when dealing with these situations. One of "stroking" and one of "poking." In this case it would appear that stroking has already been ruled out.

It's sad to say that buying them out is an alternative but given the circumstances it may be your best choice. Refunding a portion or all of their deposit money and a relocation stipend may get their attention. On the surface this may appear costly but in the long run it could save you money. Stroking.

The "poking" approach would involve staying with the eviction process but stepping it up a bit. Involve an attorney and have them draft a couple letters that can be sent at various times. Bombarding them with letters explaining your rights and possible actions may also get their attention. It may be beneficial to have a licensed mold abatement company evaluate the alleged problem so that can be ruled out or remediated.

Remember, as a landlord you DO have's just too bad you need to fight so hard to get them.

Good luck,

... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 23, 2011
Kurt Grosse asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Search Advice