Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in 78729 : Real Estate Advice

  • All24
  • Local Info5
  • Home Buying8
  • Home Selling3
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 19
Tue Mar 12, 2013
Merry Ann Cutler answered:
Today, we are seeing master baths with larger walk-in showers. Many with double shower heads and built-in seats. You should keep at least 2 of the tubs in your home for those wanting to take a real bath and bath little ones.

When it comes time to sell, if you do a good job with the master bathroom you should be fine. You will have some to say, they want a tub. The majority will like the big walk-in shower.

Merry Ann Cutler
RE/MAX United
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 20, 2013
Perry Henderson answered:
Dont do it... You'll lose money on the appraisal and desireability
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 3, 2014
Judy Carey answered:
Hi, I saw that no one has yet replied to your question. As a result, I made an online search and found this YouTube: As you will note it is titled "Cutting Horse Ranch: 2011 Texas Architects Design Awards." The architect firm Lake/Flato for the award winning Cutting Horse Ranch is located at San Antonio Texas. It looks like they could design for you a state-of-the-art horse properties. Check them out. If you found anything else, please feel free to share ... I always enjoy learning more and something new about who, where and what.

Hope this helps!

Judy Carey
AmanVerde Real Estate
Daybreak RE, Broker
Tel: 512.847.0180
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Thu Aug 10, 2017
Mark Garner answered:
Sat Mar 23, 2013
Bill Austin answered:
This is a tough situation and while you provided what seems like a lot there is no way to answer you intelligently here. If you are looking for a professional full time Realtor to work with you through the whole process I"d be glad to dig in and help.

... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Thu Dec 22, 2011
Holbrook Andrew answered:
I'm a Real Estate agent and I have a residential construction company. Call me at 512-814-5079. I would be happy to discuss with you.

0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Fri Nov 14, 2014
John Riddle answered:
Wed May 18, 2011
John Crowe answered:
Call Isaac Benavides at Centex, 444-5438. Why the immediate need? If a repair is required, it's going to take some time. Or are you at the end of an option period? If so, you might ask for more time and get an amendment through to make it legit.

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 28, 2011
Jeff Little answered:
I've seen lots of creative painting with Kitchen cabinets. I've had clients that made boring, white cabinets look like wood. Others have taken those same boring white cabinets and antiqued them. Oddly enough those with wood cabinets have painted them white or cream to make an older kitchen look new. If you're able to spend more money, you could do refacing where you buy new cabinet doors but keep the cabinet frames. I've seen all of these with great results! As for the granite, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe changing the cabinets and paint color in the room would make them look better? :) ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 9, 2012
Charles Fisk, AIA, NCARB answered:
Typically, the total impervious coverage can not exceed 45% of the total lot size of a lot zoned for single family. This area includes the building footprint, driveways and sidewalks. If you are considering an addition in the central city, the McMansion ordinance may affect your addition as well. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 15, 2010
Betina Foreman answered:
Buyers in all price points like pools. I would get bids to see just how much it would cost and then decide. Remember ponds still require maintenance as well.
0 votes 16 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 9, 2012
Dallas Texas answered:
Only a contractor can provide you that estimate EACH home as it's own character. Depends on what is required, your specifications, permits , size of addition, concrete slab , roof etc etc etc etc.

PS I am a general contractor much more than you can imagine is involved for a room addition.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 8, 2010
Natalie Hammond answered:
Hi Clayton!

Feel free to give me a call, and I can recommend a fabulous contractor that I highly trust. Email me at or feel free to call me at 512-925-0564. They have repeatedly proven their services, and I would be happy to give you the direct contact.

... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Tue Oct 13, 2009
Richard Haenke answered:

Great questions! I would have a couple of questions or comments for you about your refurbshing. They are really along the lines of making sure that the money you spend has the biggest impact. You did not specifically mention if you are wanting to sell or lease. This will make a difference in the money that you invest.

Overall, a house of this age (2002) should not require any of the majors, and you should be able to do the high impact - lower cost options (painting and landscaping). The windows, hvac, plumbing, electrical, etc... should be in reasonbly good condition. The flooring hopefully can be "spruced up" to make it look presentable. Again, unless it has been used really hard these are still within the normal age range of use.

The biggest consideration is to check your homes market value to ensure that you are still above what you paid for it. The market has changed in different areas around austin. Value is determined by buyers today and they are expecting great deals with no flaw homes. This makes the competition fierce. This is why i suggest doing HIGH impact improvements for lower costs. You really need to see what today's value is before spending any more money.

Ritch Haenke, Realtor
Coldwell Banker United
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Wed Dec 26, 2012
Charlie McLagan answered:
There is no simple answer since it will depend on what kind of finishes you want and what your existing utilities are like (plumbing, electric, gas).

A typical "builder" quality home in Austin costs around $80 / sqft. This would represent, for example, a new subdivision home without upgrades. Due to the lack of economies of scale, a remodel will always cost more for the same qualify of work. So as a ballpark, figure $30,000.

If your home is on a concrete slab foundation, adding plumbing can be expensive if, for example, drain lines are not easily accessible from the garage - it can involve jack-hammering up concrete to tie in. On the other hand, if you already have plumbing in the walls near the garage, it isn't so hard (I moved a W/D to my garage without touching the foundation because there was already a drain line and water supply 10 feet away. Since you have a utility room adjacent, you may not have to dig in the foundation - for drain lines it all depends on whether the plumber can achieve the proper slope so the water drains properly.

If your house is built on piers and beams, it is usually much easier since the plumber can get under the house and access all the plumbing from there - no jack-hammer needed.

You should be able to complete the remodel in a month, give or take, once you have decided what you want to do. Making changes after the work has begun will draw it out longer.

Good luck - contact me if you would like more information!
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 9, 2009
DT asked:
As purchased the unit (1 bed / 1 bath) had two window units, neither of which had the option to provide heat. There was a gas fan-blown "fireplace" that could provide heat, but accord...
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sat Jun 13, 2009
Emmanuel Scanlan answered:
Hello DT,

The State of Texas has adopted the 2003 versions of the International Codes. You can see a version for free here Austin is allowed to select a newer version but for this issue all versions are basically the same. According to the codes the local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ, the people who want you to sign the waiver) could actually require that you perform a full update of the wiring. The following two paragraphs are from the 2003 International Residential Code.

From the 2003 I-Code Basic Administration Section:

R102.7.1 Additions, alterations or repairs.
Additions, alterations or repairs to any structure shall conform to that required for a new structure without requiring the existing structure to comply with all of the requirements of this code, unless otherwise stated. Additions, alterations or repairs shall not cause an existing structure to become unsafe or adversely affect the performance of the building.

From the 2003 I-Code Electrical Section:

E3301.4 Additions and alterations.
Any addition or alteration to an existing electrical system shall be made in conformity with the provisions of Chapters 33 through 42. Where additions subject portions of existing systems to loads exceeding those permitted herein, such portions shall be made to comply with Chapters 33 through 42.

The Inspector is actually being reasonable, as the city of Austin apparently is, with regard to this issue. This can be deemed a potential gray area in the code and these gray areas are strictly left to the AHJ to interpret. The Inspector apparently felt that the new wiring could possibly be supported by a direct connection to, and the style and type of, the main distribution panel. However, the Inspector did note that you have much older wiring (Knob & Tube) servicing the remainder of the home. K&T was good for the era in use but is no longer considered adequate, and potentially unsafe, for today's loads and demands.

The second code reference above basically states that if you make a modification or addition to the original portion of the electrical system, that could have an impact on the remainder of the system, then the entire system must now be brought back up to current building code standards.

As I said I am surprised they did not require a rewire but are obviously concerned enough to require the waiver. Even though government entities are not normally subject to law suites we have sen that change quite a bit of the past few years. Austin is saying basically that we won't force you to upgrade the K&T if you agree to sign a release absolving them of any future responsibility. It's actually quite decent of them.

Hope this helps.

Emmanuel J. Scanlan
PS Inspection & Property Services LLC
214-418-4366 (cell)
TREC License # 7593
International Code Council, Residential Combination Inspector #5247015-R5 (Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing and Building)
Certified Infrared Thermographer (ASNT-TC1A Standards)
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Third Party Warranty Inspector #1593
Texas Residential Construction Commission, Inspector, County Inspection Program
Texas Department Of Insurance, VIP Inspector # 08507061016
Hayman Residential Engineering Services, Field Technician
CMC Energy - Certified Energy Auditor

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!!
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 8, 2009
Loren Green answered:
I am not familiar with Austin, but most cities can be difficult to deal with. Make sure your plans are drawn to the right version of the building codes. Make sure they show that any room that has a door or window closed in by the addition maintaines its required lighting, ventilation and egress. Show that the addition matches the Architectural style of the house. Show that the addition is within the setback lines. Show that the lot coverage is below the allowable percentage.
These are just the biggest things that cities are concerned about. If you have enough plans and pictures of the existing house, I would be happy to help you put some plans together.
Good luck with your project.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 6, 2011
T.E. & Naima Sumner answered:
Contractors must file with the state now, and you can find a comprehensive list of them on the web at next to the Builders tab.
Also you can look on the local websites for builders like or ... more
0 votes 16 answers Share Flag
Search Advice