Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

66226 : Real Estate Advice

  • All2
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying1
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 14
Sat Jun 30, 2012
Connie Mitchell answered:
I try to fight mine each year to keep them from going up. I visit the local appraisal district and located "like" homes in my area for tax records. If you have a realtor friend, you can also have he/she look up recent sales in the area as well to help build your case. ... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Sep 9, 2016
Shelley Trost answered:
I could better help you if you could be more specific. Are you asking about home costs or something else?
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 19, 2011
Adria Secord answered:
Possibly. More often then not we are seeing appraisals actually be higher then market value. It really just depends on the home and neighborhood.
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Fri Apr 29, 2011
Shelley Trost answered:
I assume that you meant 'my retired parent'? If so you have the option of either a conventional loan or a FHA loan. You will want to speak to a reputable lender to determine which option will be best for you. I can recommend to you a couple of different lenders if you would like to contact me by cell, text or email.

Shelley Trost
Reece and Nichols
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Feb 4, 2014
Jerry Long answered:
I'd recommend that you stay away from a mortgage broker on this and see a reputable local lender; they can give you this information and direct you down the right path.
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Thu Feb 4, 2010
Hannah Angert answered:

To the best of my knowledge, because of your bankruptcy status, you would not be considered for a loan from any primary or secondary lender that I know of. Plan to give the bankruptcy at least 7 years to clear.


Hannah Angert, Realtor
PA License RS-295442

215. 271. 3000 office
215. 271. 0988 fax
215. 869. 9571 cell

William Festa Realty
3001 S. Sydenham St.
Philadelphia, PA 19145
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Please speak to your tax pro.

I believe you are referring to a 1031 exchange-where you sell one property and use the proceeds of the sale to purchase a new property and don't pay capital gains.

As far as I know, a 1031 can only be done with investment properties. A primary residence can not be used for a 1031 unless you converted it to an investment property for at least one year and one day prior to selling it.

There may be a much better solution for you though.

I am not sure if you are aware, but a married couple may sell a house that they own as a primary residence and be tax exempt for up to $500k in gains (for a single person that number would be $250k) if they lived in that home for two of the last five years.

I realize that you mentioned that you bought the house only one year ago. I guess it may be difficult for you to wait out the year, but if you can the capital gains would be tax exempt.

This would be much simpler than a 1031 anyway, for many reasons including the fact that 1031's are very complicated and can get messed up very easily.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Good luck.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sun May 31, 2009
Sarah Klamm answered:
If you logged into Trulia and changed them, go back and make sure you updated the screen. It can take a while for the new updates to show up, but I like this tool so much, I don't mind! ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jan 15, 2013
Roderick Pittman answered:
Hi Dixie, I know that sometimes it takes a while for a batch of new data to get uploaded from MLS, at least that is what I was told when I checked into a similar situation.
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Wed May 4, 2011
Joe Nernberg answered:
Be certain your local building department allows this modification. You still need permanent vehicle parking. Car port? Will you be moving the furnace and water heater. All of these considerations drive up the cost and repairs must be done to 2009 building code (AFCI circuits, sheer walls, dual glazed windows, GFCI devices, insulation, etc.). ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Tue Jun 3, 2008
Chris Lengquist answered:
The most official source would be the Recorder of the Deeds office. But you can always have a real estate agent pull the mls "comps" and use those. Then you could challenge. From there, they will decide. Good luck! Let me know if you need any more help. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 5, 2008
Cindy Johnson answered:
Dave, I just joined Trulia and noticed your question had not been answered. I tried to check on this property; however, there are no properties in this address range on Cedar Creek Rd. (which is the only Cedar Creek type street I could find). They are all in the 8200 - 9600 address range. If you can confirm the address, I will be happy to look into it further for you.

Thanks, Cindy Johnson
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Emily Erekuff answered:
Hi Nick,

The link below shows the lot and land listings in Shawnee that are currently listed on Trulia. Perhaps you'll be able to find a few properties similar to your own that you can use for comparison.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 31, 2008
Chris Lengquist answered:
I recommend either contacting a property manager and/or visiting these websites: (an excellent resource)

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Search Advice