Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in 60634 : Real Estate Advice

  • All32
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying16
  • Home Selling4
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 83
Thu Jun 10, 2010
Philip Sencer answered:
I think there are too many variables to give you an informed answer. You will just need to pull permits and go through the process. If you are using a contractor, they might know more about it, but you can also go to the building department, 9th floor and ask......just plan to spend a day there!

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Fri Jun 4, 2010
Patrick Thies answered:
You should check city codes and see what is legal and allowed. If you purchase the property, you may need to bring it to code.

If the space is allowed, it may be better to make it code and proper. This would give more living space and add value.

If the enclosed porch is not allowed by code, then you may need to put it back to it's proper state.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu Oct 10, 2013
Matt Laricy answered:
Give me some more details on what you are asking and I will give you an answer.

Matt Laricy
Americorp Real Estate
Brokers Associate, e-PRO
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Thu Apr 15, 2010
Emily Erekuff answered:
Hi Malek,

You've posted this question to Trulia Voices which is a forum for questions and discussions related to real estate. Since your question is off-topic, it will be removed shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience and encourage you to use a general search engine like Google or Bing to try to find the information you are seeking.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Community Moderator
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sat Mar 13, 2010
Jeff Nobleza answered:
Sat Dec 25, 2010
Paul Welden answered:
Hi John,

Our answer is definitely late in the coming, but anyone looking for 203k Contractors can go to the 203k Contractor Directory, where they will find all the Certified 203k Contractors in their area.

Contractor Directory for the FHA 203(k) Loan
(480) 463-4663
... more
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 25, 2013
Philip Sencer answered:
Yes, it is a bit odd generally speaking, but we are finding more and more how builders skipped corners on all sorts of things to save a few $$$ on new construction during those crazy years.....2000-2006. Unless there is a structural issue, it is most common to see the studs 16" on center.

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 16, 2010
Philip Sencer answered:
From a value/resale standpoint, converting a 2-4 flat into a single family house, in many neighborhoods in the city, possibly Albany Park, makes little economic sense. The cost/benefit analysis probably does not work, but if you really really like the building/area and plan to stay for a very long time.......perhaps.
In theory, you need to get permits to redesign the place so you need an architect/licensed contractor, but depending on the amount of work involved, you might get away with doing it on your own. Based on the questions you are asking, I think you probably should get some help and crunch the numbers before you do too much. Did you already buy something or are you just looking???

... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 16, 2010
Wayne Beals answered:
I would engage the services of a local architect to do a feasibility study. If the architect believes it will be allowed, you'll need to present drawings to get the permit anyway. This process will involve both the Department of Buildings and Zoning.

A few things that may come up:

1. Two methods of entry and egress.
2. Parking restrictions
3. Floor Area Ratio Requirements
4. Mechanical Systems Upgrade
5. Attic Floor Structure.

Best of Luck

Wayne Beals
Keller Williams CCG
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 9, 2010
Bill Eckler answered:

Many new homes are being built with a space included for a wine storage area. Would this concept fit into your scheme of things?

Best wishes,
The Eckler Team
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Jan 6, 2010
Harry Maisel answered:
I've heard from Chicago developers it can range anywhere between $15,000-$45,000 to tear down a home. Its going to depend on accessibility to get to the home from the street or alley. If its a brick home, you may be able to sell the bricks to a brick reseller and re-coup some of your demo costs. Good luck! ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 23, 2016
Dennis Toomey answered:

You could call Scott Manint at Platinum Home Mortgage. He has several contractors that do the 203K.

Scott Manint
Platinum Home Mortgage Corporation
2200 Hicks Road, Suite 101
Rolling Meadows, IL 60008
Office (847) 797-9500
Fax (847) 797-9528

Good Luck!

Dennis Toomey
Cell (847) 338-0180
Fax (847) 956-2844
... more
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Mon Nov 30, 2009
. answered:

The application process and forms are right there on the sight; they are the (government) largest single owner of foreclosed homes and a great place to start.

You'll most likely need to have proof of your general liability policy, references, a company/personal resume, and be bonded for most you'll apply with.

A hugely valuable resource for you is listing real estate brokers; they are often in charge of lining up contractors on the listings they carry.

Do an internet search for 'foreclosures, bank owned, reo, etc.'; go to each site, most will be asset management companies (middlemen who handle bank owned inventory), and sign up with them. Some have an application process as simple as a one page on line form.

Good luck!
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Feb 14, 2010
Philip Sencer answered:
I have never heard of a 3 story stucco apartment house, but if it has the original stucco that was used 40+ years ago I would keep it. DO NOT USE DRIVIT! That is total crap and will likely give you a mold problem. Good Luck.

... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Dec 8, 2009
Danielle answered:
You should find out if the apartment is a legal unit or not. That should have been revealed prior to closing on the property. If it's legal, by all means go ahead and rent it out. If it is not a legally recognized unit, you should not. Your attorney that you worked with would really be your best source to answer this question.

Good Luck
Danielle Pierce
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue May 4, 2010
John Van Kooten answered:
Wed Nov 13, 2013
Bill Eckler answered:

We would agree with your agent's recommendation. One should always be a little suspicious of contractors that request money up front for a job. .....

What guarantee do you have that they will actually begin the work contracted for? There are other options that don't require you to assume this level of risk that provides them with materials to commence the work.

Most contractors have established credit with their vendors.......could this be a possible problem?

Proceed with care.
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 18, 2009
Mari asked:
in equity again, I owe 140,000 on my home and 34,000 on 2nd mortagage, is it a good idea to pull out equity if possible I dont know what to do?
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Sep 3, 2012
Chuck Stuparits answered:
Before you hire anyone make sure you contact the Better Business Bureau as well as ask for references.
Some of the old timers that have been around for years are:Blinderman Const. Co.312.640.6983,Dusable Construction-773.463.9290,Nathan LInn & Sons,773.489.7488. Your probably going to have to retain an architect as most remodeling projects require a permit, so your architect will probably recommend a contractor also. ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5
Search Advice