Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in 60617 : Real Estate Advice

  • All19
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying7
  • Home Selling5
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 83
Sun Oct 6, 2013
Steven Glick answered:
MY Company is CG Realty Group and we are accredited with the Better Business Bureau. We specialize in all types of residential construction and remodeling. We have been in business since 1998 and have done work throughout Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. I can be reached directly at 773-573-0105.

... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 11, 2012
Philip Sencer answered:
An attorney has nothing to do with the loan process. You need to find a lender who does rehab loans. One of the most common is the 203K FHA loan. My web site has some references and Ardain Mortgage does them ... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 30, 2011
Dan Tabit answered:
I haven't heard your quote, but a Point, generally refers to 1% of the selling price or loan amount. Don't accept vague amounts or terms you are not clear on. Whether buying, selling or doing a loan get all terms spelled out in writing and make sure you fully understand what each of the terms mean.
There are real estate glossaries online where you can look up several terms you may not be familiar with.
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 6, 2011
Yllas asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Aug 23, 2011
Joe Schiller answered:
Sun May 29, 2011
Accurate Inspections & Consulting answered:
You probably can. However there are lots of issues to consider. Since increasing your property value is a primary concern, how much this will cost is a major consideration. I will list some points to consider. Do not consider this a complete list.
- You would likely need approval from the Condo Board, in writing, legally binding. Have an attorney draw up everything. No sense in wasting money if the Board won't go along.
- Structural (joist) load is different for occupancy space than a deck. Joist/truss size and load capacity at the roof level would need to be verified and/or upgraded for full occupancy. This would be one of your major costs.
- The overall structure would also need to be verified for the extra load.
- You would need at least two means of egress from this level regardless of square footage because it is more than 2 levels above grade.
- Height limitations may apply
- Get an architect to do an initial review.
Hope that helps
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Mon May 23, 2011
Adam Barrera answered:
Hi Almachic2 I have a general contractor that does everything in house no need for subs Amner 773426-7386
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Sat May 21, 2011
Patricia Monroe answered:
Unfortunately with this very low FICO score you won't be able to do a cash out refinance, no matter what your equity situation is. Start working on your FICO first and find out what can you do to push your score higher. There are websites you can check your credit report for free. Everybody has the right to check their credit report once a year for free. Go to or similar website. Make sure to check if there is any incorrect reporting on your credit. This would be an easy fix. If there are late payments, collections, on the other hand, only time will help to rebuild the credit. If your debt has mounted and is hard for you to manage, consult an attorney for a bankruptcy. This might be a good start to rebuild your credit and gain control of your finances. ... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Feb 2, 2014
Marie Souza Team answered:
My daughter wants to do the same thing. Pricing depends on your area. She contacted 3 companies to come & out and give her a estimates... free of charge. I suggest doing the same.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 27, 2017
Laura Feghali answered:
Hi Daniel,
You need to consult the planning and zoning dept. in your town and exactly what the specifications are in your zone as each zone has different criteria and may vary according to lot size. I would then suggest checking with the building department to see if your plan is permitable.
Good luck!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connectcut Realty
... more
0 votes 19 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 9, 2011
Philip Sencer answered:
It's hard to really know in this market. If you plan to keep the house for a along time 8+yrs you should get most/all of it back, but the degree to which that is true can vary depending on the neighborhood and type of house you have.
If you plan to sell within 5ish years, it is not so clear how much you might get back. It probaboy would help your property sell faster or sell at all, but without more details it is hard to know how much of the $$ you will get back. Another factor is how much you pay for the work.
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 10, 2011
Erik Blinn answered:

Although pricing varies, based on finishes and location, it usually is between $70-$125 per square foot. When pricing, I recommend getting 3 quotes from different contractors.

Good Luck!
... more
0 votes 11 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 3, 2015
Benjamin Carrison answered:
There are many variables to answering this. i am a carpenter with Local 1977 as well as a Realtor in Nv. It depends if there is already piping in the area. The toilet will cost around $175-300. Plus installation. Does there need to be concrete work done in order to run the pipes or do they come through the stud walls. I would say other than the plumbing it is going to cost about $3000. This is putting in basic amenties. ... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Fri Jan 14, 2011
Dan Tabit answered:
Most bank owned homes have projects managed by the agents who list them for sale. Your best bet would be to find out which agents in your area list many REO's and meet with them. There are often clean up and small projects which need to be done. Most homes needing major work are sold "as is." ... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Feb 4, 2011
Jennifer Place, Sfr answered:
It can be as simple as making a doorway from the first floor to the stairs leading to the second floor or having to completely move the stairs... Depends on the layout. Moving stairs can cost appr. 12-19k. If it's just a doorway, probably under a grand. If both units have separate hvac then there's no worries because you'll just have zoned thermostats. If they aren't separate that can cost somewhere in the 10ks if there's no duct work. You'll obviously need to get rid of the kitchen on the second floor and that's really a matter of demo-ing it and replacing with drywall or patching it depending on what you want to do with the area. So probably under 10k. It really depends on the layout and what you want the second floor to become. Right now I have a complete rehab of a two-story single family priced out at near 100k. I do a lot of business in Chicago and have several excellent contractors that could give you bids. Email me if you're interested. ... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Sat Oct 2, 2010
John Gall answered:
Its America and you can still do almost anything you like. However, I would not plan on having anyone live in there.

In regards to raising the garage's height, how many friends do you have? ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Fri Oct 1, 2010
Scott Miller answered:
Hi Mad. Here's a great link for you to see what home remodeling jobs in your area cost:

Make sure you get at leaset 2-3 estimates and ask for a copy of their insurance coverage, aka 'dec sheet', short for declaration sheet. This way you know how much they're covered for, PLUS, you have the name of their insurance company in case they do something wrong in your home.


Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Aug 8, 2010
John Moustis answered:
Hello Dawn & thanks for contacting me.
Having windows that don't open in a residential living unit on a first floor bedroom like an apartment is usually not common, except is some highrise buildings. I am not an attorney so I don't want to express legal or not. In some apartments it may be allowed where there are windows that are fixed that don't open. Any new construction building more than likely would require a bedroom window to open or some other means of escape in case of fire. You should consult your local municipality for their local code in your area.
Thank you and have a good day.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Jul 26, 2010
Philip Sencer answered:
Tue Aug 17, 2010
Dominic Valenti answered:
I'm a member of Trulia. Please contact me to discuss.

Dominic Valenti
Cornerstone Management, Inc.
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
1 2 3 4 5
Search Advice