Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Insurance in 60611 : Real Estate Advice

  • All85
  • Local Info3
  • Home Buying44
  • Home Selling7
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 10
Wed Jun 8, 2011
Starrynight12hk asked:
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 5, 2011
Mike McCallum answered:

Your monthly assessment will cover the insurance for the building. Your insurance policy only needs to cover the contents making it similar to a renters policy. For an accurate quote from a great insurance agent contact Paulina at Gentle Friends: ... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Sun Jun 23, 2013
Klopas Stratton answered:
Had same issue myself, call Laura Deppert, State Farm, Downers Grove... She insured my rental condo ...
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Mar 8, 2011
Philip Sencer answered:
There is no common amount. It depends on how much coverage you want. Some condo associations require a specific amount while others do not care. Just call a few Ins companys up and ask for quotes. It will not be much either way. ... more
0 votes 10 answers Share Flag
Thu Oct 14, 2010
Brandon Schuppe answered:
Try calling Nick Zanoni from State Farm Insurance. 708-442-7755.

Tell him I gave you his number.
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Jun 17, 2010
Anna M Brocco answered:
Start by contacting more than one local insurance agency and go from there.
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Thu Jan 21, 2010
Gerard Dunn answered:
The condominium will have insurance in place to cover the physical structure of the building.

Any policy you purchase will cover the interior of the unit.

Find a reputable local insurance agent to advice you - and if in doubt regarding the coverage - ask them to walk the unit with you.

A good agent will do this!

Good Luck!
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Dec 26, 2009
It is insurance included in an ordinary homeowners policy for an extra few dollars.

In case of a fire, etc. where the house becomes uninhabitable, it would cover you (during the renovation period) for loss of rental income you would have recieved.

Hope this was helpful.
... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Thu May 7, 2009
Grace Hanamoto answered:
Hello Samir and thanks for your question.

Let me see if I can help you.

If you live in a condominium, the only areas that you actually own are the interior air spaces bounded by the perimeter walls of your unit. As a result, anything past the paint on the walls belongs to the homeowners association. Although the leak began outside of your home, as the homeowner, you do have the responsibilty to contact the insurance company for the homeowners association about the leak. Do that tomorrow and file a claim.

If you were not already told this, you--as the homeowner--should also carry homeowners insurance in addition to the insurance carried by the homeowners association. This is important because, as you will soon find out, there are exclusions in the Association's policy that will prevent them from covering any losses to your furniture or personal items damaged by the water. The Association's insurance will take care of the water damage to the carpet, the walls, and other parts of the bedroom and living rooms, but the contents in those roooms that are personal contents are, in most cases, not covered. Further, there will be a deductible that must be paid--$5000 per occurrence seems to be the "going rate" for insurance policies these days--so expect that you may have to force the developer to pay for the deductible associated with your claim.

Finally regarding the issue of who should handle the repairs, if this is the first 12 months that you've owned the home, your developer/builder should have given to you a one year warranty on all parts of your home. This same warranty is extended by the developer to the homeowners association for all components of "common area" (the structure and pipes in the wall). The Association Manager will know whether or not this warranty is in place and can be used by the Association to cover the $5000 deductible and/or the cost of repairing the pipe. If the developer is at fault and there is coverage under a warranty, most likely, the insurance company will subrogate to the developer for all repairs (in other words, will ultimately make the developer pay for damages).

So, my advice, take lots of pictures. Document all damages. Call the insurance company and schedule a claims adjuster right away.

Good luck!!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Common Interest Development Expert
Area Pro Realty
Co-Author: "Homeowners Associations: A Guide to Leadership"
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Search Advice