Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Tech Tips in 60608 : Real Estate Advice

  • All29
  • Local Info3
  • Home Buying15
  • Home Selling2
  • Market Conditions1

Activity 28
Tue Jan 29, 2013
Bill J Deligiannis answered:
Avondale - Section 8?
...Yes You Can

Work with a Realtor to help you identify possible properties.
Prepare your paperwork - voucher, credit report, application.

Feel free to contact me should you need any assistance. ... more
0 votes 7 answers Share Flag
Mon Dec 17, 2012
Joe Schiller answered:
not everybody fact not even 1/2 of the apt owners want to deal with sec 8 payment and requirements.. you have to ask individual owners if the buildings are approved.. they do exist.. have fun looking ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 29, 2013
Mary Jo Daly answered:
This service is typically done through a license realtor on a state to state basis. The MLS is not a consumer web site. Good Luck with all your real estate transactions.
0 votes 9 answers Share Flag
Mon Mar 29, 2010
jeff donnellan answered:
This would depend if there are size restrictions on homes like minimum sqft, brick on the face ect... in the covenants and restrictions of the original development, and who now has control over these standards. ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Sat Aug 1, 2009
Cheri answered:
Last I checked Section 8 is any and everywhere - meaning that owners of investment property can sublet their property specifically for those with the vouchers - OR - the government actually procures properties for that sole purpose. Example - several manufactured/mobile home communities have properties for disabled or elderly persons with the vouchers. And the CHA has programs that allow families to move into new construction properties deemed as mixed income. The key is to have the voucher and know where you want to live. Private property owners cannot legally reject your application if you are a voucher holder BUT they may pass you over if they prefer to deal with a cash paying tenant. I dont know the current status of the program but I assume its still in full swing since the majority of the CHA housing has come down and those residents needed places to stay. So I'm not sure if I understand your question - but knowing the rate of private landlords who are accepting Section 8 vouchers isnt possible. Finding Section 8 friendly communities via the CHA or State Housing bureaus is your best bet if you dont want to deal with the trial and error of private landlord rejection. ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Fri Apr 17, 2009
Nigel B asked:
Hi: This may be a bit off-topic on a realestate forum but I figured I'd try anyway. I'm looking for a recommendation for a "structured wiring" specialist in the downtown chicago ar...
0 votes 0 Answers Share Flag
Mon Oct 13, 2008
Scott Godzyk answered:
I dont think they connect automatically. you can make a note of the others with a link to them but yes i would think for now you are stuck posting on all three.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Wed Jul 28, 2010
CMLHoldings answered:
My experience with property management co's are that they are expensive. If you want a hands off approach on maintaining your investment property then a property management company is the way to go. Depending on the company ,they will either charge you the equivalent of one months rent to set up and then a monthly fee of anywhere between 10-20% of your monthly rent as the fee. Some I have seen charge a start up cost of 25% of the first months rent they all vary.

One thing that you will need to put in the back of your mind is that your sweet home is turning into an investment property and the future tennants may or may not take care of the place like you would. Be prepared to do a little fixing up due to wear and tare that the renters do to the place.

I would also first check with a local Realtor in your area and ask them who they would recommend. Some Realtors will manage the place for you as well.

Good luck in NJ!
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Apr 30, 2008
Eric Marcus answered:
He can place a lien on the property so that the owner cannot sell the property until all back assessments are paid.
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Sat Apr 12, 2008
Don Tepper answered:
Read your lease. Your lease probably addresses this point. Most provide for access upon reasonable notice. Some provide for access to show the unit. Others don't. Depending on what you find, you may want to check with an attorney just to make sure that what's in the lease is legal in Chicago. Landlord/tenant laws vary widely by city, county, and state.

You might propose a compromise, such as a lock box. That way, your key isn't floating around. And, even if your lease is silent on the point, you might reasonably request some sort of notice (such as 2 hours, or 4 hours or whatever) prior to showing. And you can explain politely to your landlord that this will work to his advantage as well as yours; it'll allow you to make sure that your unit is presentable.

But, first, read the lease. Then, if necessary, check with a lawyer.

Hope that helps.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Fri Mar 30, 2012
Marek answered:
Sure. Try They are reputable company and will help you out with any questions you may have.
0 votes 14 answers Share Flag
Wed Oct 17, 2012
Pete Cantele answered:
If I can't get an answer to this question, maybe I should ask this:
Could someone please tell me where I might find out rules about the community of Pullman regarding section 8 housing?
I've found the CHAC website but haven't talked to them yet. I am more concerned about Pullman and what ordinances govern housing in that area.
ANY help is appreciated.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Fri Dec 9, 2016
Greg Zaccagni answered:
Sat Mar 29, 2008
Robbin Smith answered:
Chicago is my hometown and I am there quite often for business. There is very strict code and you must get all permits on your work. I spent $30k finishing a basement on SF here in ATL. My sister on Chi Southside has a 3 Flat bldg and spent much more. The workmanship is allowing her to rent to quality tenants. There was a very good article recently on website : ... more
0 votes 1 answer Share Flag
Sun Mar 9, 2008
CMLHoldings answered:
Great question. I have seen some software on but they can be a bit pricey. I have 4 rentals and made up my own excel spreadsheet. I can't seem to find some free open software on the net.

Good luck on your search!
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Mon Feb 18, 2008
Kale Realty answered:

Your best bet is to consult with a Realtor. You can also try Zillow they might have the info you need. Its a lot easier then trying to navagate the Cook County Websites and Tax Data.

Whats the address of the building- I can do a quick lookup for you.
... more
0 votes 2 answers Share Flag
Thu Nov 6, 2014
Brian and Dan Merrion answered:
If you're looking specifically for online outlets, I've posted rentals before on also (an ebay owned website) and received good response there. People do still check the local papers though so don't discount those either. ... more
0 votes 25 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 5, 2008
Kale Realty answered:
Depends on your price point. 111 Superior is a great rental building but also quite expensive- On the lower end you can get a great deal at 645 Kingsbury in River North by the East Bank Club. I can send you a list of some current rentals if you wish- Let me know. Thanks! ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Mon Jun 20, 2016
Realtor answered:
Contact your local Housing Authority. Most have a list of rentals. If you have a voucher, you should work that out with the landlord and see if they will take the voucher.
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
1 2
Search Advice