Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Remodel & Renovate in 55427 : Real Estate Advice

  • All6
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying3
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 4
Wed Nov 27, 2013
Mark Claessens e-Pro NHSS answered:
Kate, you really need a lawyer to help you with this one. Mechanics liens and all this mess with the bad contractors is not good. Sure you can call the Minnesota Dept. of Commerce and they can check out the GC, but you should get some advice.

I will only recommend one attorney for the job. Steve Nash from Nash Law Firm. His number is 763.862.6100. He is a very easy guy to talk to and he won't charge you just to call and chat for a bit and tell him all about this.

... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 5, 2014
Lyle Wolf answered:
Don't know about MN, but here in New Jersey doing work without a Permit is a recipe for trouble when you go to sell your home. Many towns will not issue a CO if proper permits were not issued. One seller we had who could not produce a permit for an addition had to have parts of it redone at a cost of $20,000 before the town would issue the CO and the house could close. They also lost the first offer which was at a higher price because the buyer didn't like the idea of the additional permit and CO problems. ... more
0 votes 15 answers Share Flag
Wed Nov 27, 2013
Annie Becker answered:

Here's a link to Remodeling Magazine's Cost vs. Value report for renovations and additions. The data might be helpful.

I find that 3-bedroom homes are now much more in demand than 2- bedroom homes. Even single people seem to want a master, a guest room and den/office. As you've described it, the current basement would likely detract from the value of the house. For both of these reasons, I'd say the value of your house will increase. A local agent can help you with how much the incease will be.

... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Wed Sep 22, 2010
Brad Anderson answered:
Karen, I don't think so. I pulled this right off the energy star page.
"Tax Credit: 30% of cost up to $1,500
Expires: December 31, 2010
Details: Must be an existing home & your principal residence. New construction and rentals do not qualify." ... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Search Advice