Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Rental Basics in 55120 : Real Estate Advice

  • All0
  • Local Info0
  • Home Buying0
  • Home Selling0
  • Market Conditions0

Activity 7
Wed Sep 5, 2012
Elizabeth Fuller answered:
I am sure NYC has a group which arbitrates landlord-tenant disputes. You should contact your local (NY) government offices, state, county or municipal, and find out what recourse you might have and if this was handled appropriately. In MN, we have a strong consumer advocacy through goverment or co0nsueer agencieds. Since I am not in NY and am not licensed in NY, I can only presume it would be similar. Liz, 612-986-4105

PS I am very good at helping my clients writre compelling anfd useful letters. If you need some thogujts in that direction, feel free to call.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Tue Apr 24, 2012
Dan Tabit answered:
Step one is review your property management agreement. Did they hold up their end of what was spelled out in that agreement? If not, you may have some action against them, but in most cases the manager will protect themselves against the actions of the tenants. Being a landlord isn't easy, being long distance is harder.
Regardless of whether they are responsible this time, put the necessary changes into the next agreement so this doesn't happen again. I'm sorry for your troubles.
... more
0 votes 3 answers Share Flag
Thu Jul 14, 2011
Lenny Frolov answered:
I would make the managment company prove that they complied with the required 21 days needed to mail the deposit back. Ultimately though I think you could be on the hook unless the lease was under the management companies name. This is a question for an attorney as you have potentially a lot to lose if the tenants make a claim. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Tue Feb 8, 2011
Bill Wallace answered:
Hi Leah,

The obvious answer is to call your insurance agent. The pricing will probably depend a lot on what coverages you choose.

I wrote an article about my recent investment rental purchases in Rosemount and Apple Valley. Since those are townhouses they are covered by the homeowner association but I am also purchasint supplemental landlord insurance to cover the gaps in the HOA coverage and any liability claims. I can tell you those are $100 per year and carries $1M in liability protection.

You can read about my investment story here -

Let me know if you need any assistance identifying properties here in Dakota County.

Bill Wallace
RE/MAX Results - Apple Valley, 651-338-0355
... more
0 votes 8 answers Share Flag
Sun Aug 1, 2010
Scott Miller answered:
Hi K. Many people believe that just because monies have not changed hands, there is no contract. Since I don't know your local laws in NM, how about contacting your attorney right away? Be very careful in your next couple of moves with this prospective tenant. You don't need a sympathetic judge deciding in favor of the consumer.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how it works out.

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
... more
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Thu Mar 11, 2010
Brad Anderson answered:
Read your original lease. It probably requires a 60 day notice, and if it does you need to pay the rent. If you have another reason for leaving, contact an attorney.
0 votes 4 answers Share Flag
Tue Jul 21, 2009
Cameron Piper answered:

At the end of the lease contract, when you didn't sign a new lease, your rental agreement turned into what is know as a tenancy at will. You can read about a tenancy at will at the MN Statutes webpage below. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Cameron Piper
#1 Trulia Agent in Minnesota
... more
0 votes 5 answers Share Flag
Search Advice