Trulia Community - Advice from neighbors and local experts

Find Your Community
We couldn't find that location. Please try again.
Get Expert Advice

Home Selling in 53406 : Real Estate Advice

  • All8
  • Local Info1
  • Home Buying1
  • Home Selling1
  • Market Conditions3

Activity 3
Fri Jan 15, 2010
Terri Vellios answered:
The best way to sell anything in a Buyer's market is price it right for the condition and amenities. Make it stand out and shine above all the others so that a buyer can see themselves in it and the value. Usually 5% below the most recent pending, depending on your market segment. ... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Mon Aug 24, 2009
Bob Caron answered:
If your brother paid for an appraisal from a licensed appraiser, then he should have received a relatively accurate assessment of the anticipated value of your parents' home. Of course, the only real way to value a property is to sell it on the open market with an arms-length distance transaction.
It depends who did the appraisal and for what reason. In MA, Realtors can do a Comparative Market Analysis but an appraiser must be licensed to do appraisals. If someone asked me what the selling price of their home should be I, would do a CMA using comparable properties that have sold within the last 3 to 6 months within a reasonable distance form the subject property. Appraisers use a similar approach but usually provide more details.
If the appraisal your brother received is accurate, it does sound reasonable that the selling price within the family would be discounted to reflect the fact that you're not paying a Realtor's commission.
You may want to consider obtaining a second, independent appraisal of the home and then deciding on a number somewhere between the two.
... more
0 votes 6 answers Share Flag
Sun Oct 19, 2008
Darren Kittleson answered:
Sissy-Based on what you're describing your agent is not following license law. 1. In order for the agent and/or broker to represent both buyer and seller in a transaction, both buyer and seller would have to agree, in writing to dual or designated agency. This assumes that the agent has a buyer agency agreement with the buyer and has a listing contract with you as the seller. It's possible that the agent doesn't have an agency agreement with the buyer, thus should only be representing your best interest in this transaction. 2. As for asking you to sign an agreement that would restrict you from listing your property with another agency, to my knowledge there's no state contract condition that would require such. The standard exclusive right to sell listing agreement (WB-1) does have an extension provision in it that states any offers received during the course of the listing would be a "protected" buyer for a period of 1 year from the end of the contract. What this means is the buyer who's offer you currently have would be covered under this contract for 12 months if you and the buyer would come to agreement on a purchase. This condition, however, doesn't restrict you from entering into a listing agreement with another brokerage/agent.

I would suggest your contact the agent's supervising broker and have a conversation with them. In addition it's always wise to hire an attorney to give a legal opinion. I am not an attorney, just a broker who feels that based on what you've stated, you aren't necessarily being treated fairly in this transaction.
... more
0 votes 12 answers Share Flag
Search Advice